Wurlitzer 3500 Readout Switch Question

Old February 17th 12, 11:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bobby

Default Wurlitzer 3500 Readout Switch Question

Assuming the jukebox can "pop a pin" when a selection is made. . . if
one of the readout switches is bad, wouldn't the metal arm the
switches are mounted to spin right past the popped pin and damage the
faulty readout switch or pin?

In other words. . . The switch comes into contact with the pin, which
stops the motor. The pin then gets tapped down, if all is working
properly. If the switch armature comes into contact with the pin and
the motor doesn't stop, though, wouldn't the armature get damaged as
it sweeps over the pin?

I'm not quite sure just yet if I have an issue with the readout
switches or if they just need some adjustment, but this question had
occurred to me. . . I'm getting some intermittent activity where the
record magazine just rotates two revolutions and stops after a
selection is made. Other times, the record plays and everything
functions as it should.
Old February 18th 12, 05:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Bobby wrote:
[...]

If the readout switch is bad(or intermittent), or there is a poor
connection to the wiper ring (polish the ring with an ink eraser), the
switch arm simply hops over the selected pin. So, no damage should
result if adjusted correctly.

Now if someone bent the arm, or the system is way out of adjustment then
indeed damage can result - but not from normal use in a previously
running machine that hasn't been dropped of a loading dock.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old February 22nd 12, 10:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bobby

Thanks so much! That makes sense- I'm hoping I just need some
adjustments and cleaning, after reading about the scarce to non-
existent supply of replacement readout switches. That's such a major
Achilles heel for so many machines, I'm surprised someone hasn't
started making these again?
Old February 23rd 12, 01:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 2/22/2012 5:20 PM, Bobby wrote:
Thanks so much! That makes sense- I'm hoping I just need some
adjustments and cleaning, after reading about the scarce to non-
existent supply of replacement readout switches. That's such a major
Achilles heel for so many machines, I'm surprised someone hasn't
started making these again?

Don't worry about those switches being NLA, a good serviceman can make
one out of a common switch. It's a little tricky but not all that
difficult.