ANA Report

Old August 20th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle

Default ANA Report

We had planned to arrive early Tuesday morning for PNG day. Had the plan
(and tickets) actually worked, we would have arrived right at the 2pm
opening. Alas, after nearly being stripe searched and having our coins gone
through by TSA screeners we arrived at the gate only to miss our flight.
The next flight was over booked and the following flight "Broke" and was
cancelled. We finally arrived in Denver only to have bags (not coins)
disappear. After 1 hour, we got our bags and headed off to the city (26
miles away).

We arrived just a couple of minutes before the 7pm close and literally snuck
in and dropped our bags at our table. Wednesday was a good day with a lot
of activity. Several RCC'ers stopped by to say hello. We have a very nice
group here!

Over all, most thought the show was a little slow. It was good, not great,
not horrible. I did see our Ira Stein over at the display of 10 1933 $20
gold pieces. It looked like he was completing a deal to purchase them.....

To me, the high light was not the 1933 gold, but the display at the NGC
booth of a complete set of Proof Morgan dollars, most graded PF67-69 with
some of the most incredible toning you've ever seen. It was enough to make
you want to go home and throw away all your Morgan Dollars....

For us, Saturday was the slowest day, we could have left Friday night and
only missed out on about $1500 in sales.

We left the hotel Sunday morning at 5am and had an uneventful flight home.
On a sad note, Wednesday morning my wife called to say her brother had died.
That did create some babysitting problems for a couple of days, but it all
worked out.

Old August 20th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
JMark

Wes Chormicle wrote:

snip

For us, Saturday was the slowest day, we could have left Friday night and
only missed out on about $1500 in sales.

Yes, seems improved buying opportunities are on the horizon for the
collector.

We left the hotel Sunday morning at 5am and had an uneventful flight home.
On a sad note, Wednesday morning my wife called to say her brother had died.
That did create some babysitting problems for a couple of days, but it all
worked out.

Sad news. My condolences to your wife and her/your family.

--
JMark
Old August 20th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob and Dee

Wes,

My condolences and prayers for you and your family. I remember a trip I had
to make from Salt Lake City to Greeley, CO shortly after 9/11. I lived up
near Ogden at the time. When I calculated the time needed to drive to the
airport and go through security and then to rent a car in Denver and drive
to Greeley, it was actually faster just to drive to Greeley. That might
have worked for you too considering the time wasted because of TSA. You
obviously fit the profile of the ones most likely to not raise a ruckus if
you were stopped for extra searching.

One of these days I'll make it to a coin show and actually meet you in
person.

Bob

link.net...

Old August 21st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mark Hammang

Wes,
It was nice to meet you and I enjoyed spending a little time talking about
our kids, what a small world. I enjoyed finally having the opportunity to me
you and some other RCC members such as Ira (ran into him at Rick Snow'
booth) in person.

Wes wrote:
snip
For us, Saturday was the slowest day, we could have left Friday night and
only missed out on about $1500 in sales.

Sorry business was slow but I applaud you for sticking to the end of the
show, not many dealers can say that, to me that shows real integrity. As a
member of the Host Club (Denver Coin Club) we saw many families registering
late Saturday afternoon to get into the bourse and I was saddened to think
there were so few dealers left for them to visit.

If I'm ever in St. George, I will try to make an effort to visit you at the
shop.

Mark Hammang