Any Mark Twain buffs?

Old February 28th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Any Mark Twain buffs?

Apparently Mark Twain's bawdy short story "1601" was published in Japan. In
fact, from what I can gather, it may have been first published there. So
far, however, the sources I have been able to lay my hands on haven't given
specific details of where it appeared, or who published it. Can anyone help?

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old February 28th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

John R. Yamamoto-Wilson wrote:
Apparently Mark Twain's bawdy short story "1601" was published in Japan. In
fact, from what I can gather, it may have been first published there. So
far, however, the sources I have been able to lay my hands on haven't given
specific details of where it appeared, or who published it. Can anyone help?

This site:

http://mark-twain.classic-literature.co.uk/1601/

says it was actually first published in in book form in the U.S. at West
Point, but that there were privately printed copies in Japan, among
other places. See pp. 2-4 of that link for its details. Apparently the
actual first printing was a pamphlet, of which there were only 4 copies.
Old February 28th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Some Guy wrote:

This site:

http://mark-twain.classic-literature.co.uk/1601/

says it was actually first published in in book form in the U.S.
at West Point, but that there were privately printed copies in
Japan, among other places. See pp. 2-4 of that link for its
details. Apparently the actual first printing was a pamphlet,
of which there were only 4 copies.

Of the online sources I've been able to dig up so far I found this the most
informative:

http://arthurwendover.com/arthurs/twain/3190.html

The preliminary information mentions the Japan printing, and the "partial
bibliography" at the end gives further information, but adds nothing about
the Japanese printing.

What I'm looking for, though, is a full bibliographical entry, to answer
questions such as:

Was the Japan edition published on its own, or as part of another
publication?
Was it published in Kyoto or Yokohama (the main Western settlements in Japan
at that time) or elsewhere?
When exactly was it published, and who by?

Any answer to these and similar questions much appreciated.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old February 28th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Some Guy wrote:

[...]

Apparently the 1939 Lyle Stuart edition has a bibliography of 44
different printings, if the description on Addall is to be trusted.
I've ordered a copy from one bookseller; here's another:

http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dc...853&aid=aa&t=1

If you don't happen to find the information elsewhere, I'll post it here
as soon as I receive my copy.
Old February 28th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Some Guy wrote:

Apparently the 1939 Lyle Stuart edition has a bibliography
of 44 different printings, if the description on Addall is to
be trusted. I've ordered a copy from one bookseller; here's
another:

http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dc...853&aid=aa&t=1

Thanks, Some! I don't suppose I shall order a copy myself, as the Japan
printing is the only one I am professionally interested in.

If you don't happen to find the information elsewhere, I'll post
it here as soon as I receive my copy.

Good man, yourself! Much appreciated.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old February 28th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Some Guy wrote:

Apparently the 1939 Lyle Stuart edition has a bibliography
of 44 different printings, if the description on Addall is to
be trusted. I've ordered a copy from one bookseller; here's
another:

http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dc...853&aid=aa&t=1

Thanks, Some! I don't suppose I shall order a copy myself, as the Japan
printing is the only one I am professionally interested in.

That's what we're here for, to help each other.

If you don't happen to find the information elsewhere, I'll post
it here as soon as I receive my copy.

Good man, yourself! Much appreciated.

De nada.
Old March 19th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Paging John R. Yamamoto-Wilson (was: Any Mark Twain buffs?)

Some Guy wrote:

Apparently the 1939 Lyle Stuart edition has a bibliography
of 44 different printings, if the description on Addall is to
be trusted. I've ordered a copy from one bookseller; here's
another:

http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dc...853&aid=aa&t=1

Thanks, Some! I don't suppose I shall order a copy myself, as the Japan
printing is the only one I am professionally interested in.

If you don't happen to find the information elsewhere, I'll post
it here as soon as I receive my copy.

Good man, yourself! Much appreciated.

Said book finally arrived, and there isn't much to report, sadly. Of
the 44 printings the book mentions, none have been positively linked to
a Japanese printer, even though Twain himself said it was privately
printed there, without giving details.

However, Meine's bibliography does list some editions which cannot be
linked to any source at all, and any of them could be the Japanese
edition (example: #41 = 5.75 x8.5 inches, paper wrappers, "A Social
Fireside Conversation in the Time of the Tudors. M.T.). Apparently
among printers themseleves it was common to create (in the dead of night
when the boss went home) surreptitious and/or anonymous editions with
misleading or no print/date data, making it virtually impossible to
create a definitive bibliography. One such example (#29) says it is by
"A Hell of a Printer."

In addition, some of the printings from Chicago (#4, #5, #16) were
printed on Japan vellum and the colophon of #4 could, if misread, lead
one to think it was printed *in* Japan, not on it. The information for
that edition is thus:

TITLE PAGE:
A Tudor
Coversazione
By ye Social Fireside
in ye 4 Yeare of Our
Lord's Grace
1601
[figure]

[xxix-xxxii], 3 blank leaves; 4 3/4x6 7/8 inches; bound in cream colored
boards, with dust jacket.

Cover printed in red:
In Ye Closet
of Ye Virgin
Queene.
Anno Domini
MDCI

Dust jacket also printed in red:
In Ye
Closet Of
Ye Virgin
Queene
A.D. 1601

Colophon:

Fifty copies printed on Imperial Japan
Vellum in colors throughout, with illum-
inated head-piece and illustratory initial letters in gold and red
and fifty copies on laid paper, in black with head piece and initials in
red.
[At bottom of previous page:]
Swiversdale
1903

The bibliographer says "Illustrated by and printed for George Bentham, a
clever Chicago artist, in 1903. Description based upon Vincent
Starrett's copy."