Can you rebuild a (readout) micro-switch?

Old February 22nd 12, 10:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bobby

Default Can you rebuild a (readout) micro-switch?

Given the lack of replacements for 70's Wurlitzer readout switches, I
was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with opening one up and
trying to fix it? Do the internals just get dirty, do the contacts
need cleaning, or is it more complicated than that?
Old February 22nd 12, 11:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Bobby wrote:
Given the lack of replacements for 70's Wurlitzer readout switches, I
was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with opening one up and
trying to fix it? Do the internals just get dirty, do the contacts
need cleaning, or is it more complicated than that?

They can be taken apart, but chances are it will be worse unless you are
very skilled in polishing metal contacts.

I've considered making a replacement for these switches, but - well -
very tiny market makes it something a hobbiest needs to tackle.

I would use an Opto sensor mounted across the trip arm that would
operate a small relay based circuit to replace the switch. Would take an
evening or two to fake up something reliable enough - but I have far too
many paying projects (need to eat!).

Now, I do have a few spare New Old Stock original Side 1 & 2 trip
switches left, but I sell them for $75 each...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old February 23rd 12, 01:51 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 2/22/2012 5:22 PM, Bobby wrote:
Given the lack of replacements for 70's Wurlitzer readout switches, I
was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with opening one up and
trying to fix it? Do the internals just get dirty, do the contacts
need cleaning, or is it more complicated than that?

If I had the machine here in front of me I'd make a switch for it, I've
done it ten or so times and never had a call back.
Old February 23rd 12, 07:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 2/22/2012 5:22 PM, Bobby wrote:
Given the lack of replacements for 70's Wurlitzer readout switches, I
was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with opening one up and
trying to fix it? Do the internals just get dirty, do the contacts
need cleaning, or is it more complicated than that?

If I had the machine here in front of me I'd make a switch for it, I've
done it ten or so times and never had a call back.

Coin micro-switches would probably work, nice long wire you can bend to
the correct shape and they are quite reliable.

The only advantage to the original was it was designed for the machine -
had special trip points built into the switch plus the mounting cutout
for the lever.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old February 23rd 12, 07:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bobby

Thanks so much for the input, everyone! I'm not quite sure if this is
my problem, but I thought I'd go ahead and get some more information.
Pinball is typically my game, but these jukes seem to have many
similarities. I might see if I can find a few coin switches to rig up,
if my readout switches end up being bad. I like the opto idea, but the
circuit board stuff goes a little beyond my skill set.

Hey John- The trip switches you have are different from the readout
switches, aren't they? Just want to check, as I'd definitely be
interested in new readouts for $75!

Old February 23rd 12, 09:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Bobby wrote:
Thanks so much for the input, everyone! I'm not quite sure if this is
my problem, but I thought I'd go ahead and get some more information.
Pinball is typically my game, but these jukes seem to have many
similarities. I might see if I can find a few coin switches to rig up,
if my readout switches end up being bad. I like the opto idea, but the
circuit board stuff goes a little beyond my skill set.

Hey John- The trip switches you have are different from the readout
switches, aren't they? Just want to check, as I'd definitely be
interested in new readouts for $75!

Not sure what you mean by readouts...the readout switch I has is
Wurlitzer part number 135803 and actually I only have that one left. All
others are sold off.

Sorry!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old February 25th 12, 01:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 2/23/2012 2:41 AM, John Robertson wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
On 2/22/2012 5:22 PM, Bobby wrote:
Given the lack of replacements for 70's Wurlitzer readout switches, I
was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with opening one up and
trying to fix it? Do the internals just get dirty, do the contacts
need cleaning, or is it more complicated than that?

If I had the machine here in front of me I'd make a switch for it,
I've done it ten or so times and never had a call back.

Coin micro-switches would probably work, nice long wire you can bend to
the correct shape and they are quite reliable.

The only advantage to the original was it was designed for the machine -
had special trip points built into the switch plus the mounting cutout
for the lever.

John :-#)#

IIRC they are supposed to move CCW not CW. I've used regular micro
switches with long actuators... best is the long round wire type. Have
to sort of mount it backwards and make some tricky bends in the actuator.
Old March 1st 12, 07:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bobby

--
* * (Please post followups or tech enquiries to the newsgroup)
* John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9

Yup, 135803 is one of the two readout switches. The other one is part
number 135802. I'm hoping I don't need new switches, but it sounds
like there are some options. . .