A Politically Incorrect Postage Stamp

Old October 11th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default On Rights. Was: A Politically Incorrect Postage Stamp

On Oct 10, 6:53*am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"malcolm" wrote in message

Maybe you should have the right to make your own decision whether or
not to smoke - but you certainly do NOT have the right to make the
decision to exhale your foul poisons into my air-space - and like it
or not that is the only reason why smoking is being proscribed.

I have the choice as to whether I enter your house - where you have
every right to smoke - and given the balance of risk to benefit ( and
especially if we were to talk stamps *!!) I probably would - however I
do not have the choice outdoors and in public places - and please
don't go on about other forms of pollution -seperate argument.

I am all in favour of anyone having freedom to do anything provided
that such freedom does not limit someone else's freedom - yes
oversimplification every freedom by definition limits everyone else's
but you get the picture.

Malcolm

What you write seems consistent to me but I'd like to understand it better.

Old October 11th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default A Politically Incorrect Postage Stamp

On Oct 10, 10:59*am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
malcolm found these unused words:

Maybe you should have the right to make your own decision whether or
not to smoke - but you certainly do NOT have the right to make the
decision to exhale your foul poisons into my air-space - and like it
or not that is the only reason why smoking is being proscribed.

I have the choice as to whether I enter your house - where you have
every right to smoke - and given the balance of risk to benefit ( and
especially if we were to talk stamps *!!) I probably would - however I
do not have the choice outdoors and in public places - and please
don't go on about other forms of pollution -seperate argument.

I am all in favour of anyone having freedom to do anything provided
that such freedom does not limit someone else's freedom - yes
oversimplification every freedom by definition limits everyone else's
but you get the picture.

Agree, especially public indoors, but wide open parks? Why can't a private
business on private property declare itself a 'smoking zone' and thus you
have the right to stay away from patronizing?

Smoking is banned on at least one beach here. It is also banned in
many parks and outdoor area in times of drought and high fire danger.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Your rights don't usurp others 'rights' either.

BUT, the product is legal, thus its use should not be -=separately=-
regulated.

The real answer is to ban sale - then it all goes 'away'.

Can you imagine the federales allowing the open sale of meth or crack, then
saying 'but you can only use it in your home, without children present,
between the hours of 1 and 3 AM?'

In extreme, it's about what they are doing with tobacco.- Hide quoted text -

Old October 11th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Oct 10, 4:18*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:59:24 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien

wrote:
BUT, the product is legal, thus its use should not be -=separately=-
regulated.

BUT, it already is with the age limit.

How about your old body? G

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old October 11th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:28:22 +0800, "rodney"
wrote:

No, they didn't. :^P Is this a government for the people, by the
people? Well, not really. Corporation dictates, mandates, lobbies
and PACs!

Sign on the back of a Septic Tank truck.
Caution: This truck is full of political promises.

An understatement. :^)

I prefer "Yesterdays meals on wheels"

("Meals on wheels" is an Aussie charity, delivering meals to the older
folks)

Old October 11th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:17:44 -0700 (PDT), Ralphael1
wrote:

Smoking is banned on at least one beach here. It is also banned in
many parks and outdoor area in times of drought and high fire danger.

This IS a legitimate reason to curb smoking to some extent. We have
all heard of some jerks burning down neighborhoods and plenty of
acreage because of a damn ciggie butt.

That is my one major concern, living in an apartment like right now.
Insurance would be advised.
Old October 11th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

wrote:
BUT, the product is legal, thus its use should not be -=separately=-
regulated.

BUT, it already is with the age limit.

How about your old body? G

I haven't smoked a ciggie butt since August 10, 1977. It was probably
one of the things that has kept me alive thus far.
Old October 11th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:46:59 +0800, "rodney"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

No, they didn't. :^P Is this a government for the people, by the
people? Well, not really. Corporation dictates, mandates, lobbies
and PACs!

Sign on the back of a Septic Tank truck.
Caution: This truck is full of political promises.

An understatement. :^)

I prefer "Yesterdays meals on wheels"

--- :^)

("Meals on wheels" is an Aussie charity, delivering meals to the older
folks)

Yes, fortunately, we have that as well and it is called exactly the
same thing. It is a great idea and when put into proper practice,
many homebound people benefit from this service.
Old October 11th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Ralphael1" wrote in message

Yep Victor that is the way it is today. Much different in my youth. It
wasn't smokers back then that were discriminated against, it was
humans.

Exactly like today but for other reasons.

I can remember that a few years ago I was in a plane that was filled with
passengers. The plane couldn't take off (for 3 hours) because of some
technical problems with distant radars. The whole flight should last about
30 minutes.

A woman started to tremble after 2 hours of waiting and asked for being
allowed to shortly smoke somewhere, even outside the plane, on the stairs.
She wasn't allowed and she looks so desperate... Two strong guys kept
permanently their eyes on her .

I name these smokers inside blacks...

Just to finally mention that a company (a Russian one, if I remember well)
wasn't permitted to fly planes that were for smokers only. That's called
freedom, isn't it?

--
Victor
(a non-smoker)

Old October 11th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

wrote:
BUT, the product is legal, thus its use should not be -=separately=-
regulated.

BUT, it already is with the age limit.

How about your old body? G

I haven't smoked a ciggie butt since August 10, 1977. *It was probably
one of the things that has kept me alive thus far.

Tracy, quitting, the best decision you ever made or will ever make. Me
too.

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old October 17th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"malcolm"
Maybe you should have the right to make your own decision whether or
not to smoke - but you certainly do NOT have the right to make the
decision to exhale your foul poisons into my air-space - and like it
or not that is the only reason why smoking is being proscribed.

It gets a bit ticklish, when you consider surgery queues, and health care
costs.
Smoking is the major cause of preventable illness.
This Australian stamp poses the question who will quit smoking first?
http://cjoint.com/data/krnbMNaQTt.htm

Incorrect Scott Numbers in 1943 Scott Stamp Album? Kent[_2_] General Discussion 3 June 14th 08 08:13 PM
Merry Xmas [Politically correct version] Xray Coins 4 December 26th 04 05:05 AM
[Fwd: Should your dog be on a postage stamp?] AK47 General Discussion 6 September 3rd 04 12:35 PM
Old Postage Stamp Prices? Randy General Discussion 2 November 9th 03 11:20 PM
Politically correct? LN in DC General Discussion 0 September 21st 03 12:10 PM