The Crown Jewel Of Your Collection

Old May 7th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default The Crown Jewel Of Your Collection

It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?
--
RWF
http://BobFinnan.com

Old May 7th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Most of my more valuable photo monographs will be auctioned by Swann
Galleries May 18th. But I am keeping a small collection and one of my
favorites is:

"A Photo Report on The Chemical Massacre in Halabja by Iranian
Photographers". In pictorial boards, privately published in 1991 by
the Kurdish Relief Aid. Apparantly an attempt to influence public
opinion, this copy was sent to Mike Wallace with a glued-in letter to
same, signed by the Director of KRA.

Documents the gassing of the Kurds by Saddam Hussein. Gruesome if
mediocre photography. I've yet to see a copy on line, until, umm
today. Oh well. But I like it also because I only paid a dollar at a
local book sale.

Denton

Old May 7th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"BobFinnan.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?

First edition of "The Big Rape," inscribed by JW Burke to Werner Klemperer.

Old May 7th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Four volumes of the ten-volume set in first printing of "The Works of
Benjamin Franklin." Originally in very damaged condition, a
professional bookbinder is working on binding the spines in leather
with cloth boards. Once completed the books will be safe enough so that
I can finally read them !!
Les

Old May 7th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"BobFinnan.com" wrote in message It may or may not
be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?
--
RWF
http://BobFinnan.com

1902 first edition of The Hound of the Baskervilles in very fine condition
signed by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Old May 7th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Bob Finnan wrote:

It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?

"There is a sacredness about the belongings of good and great men which
is quite apart from the value and significance of the things themselves.
Their books become especially endeared to us; as we turn the pages they
have loved, we can see another hand pointing along the lines, another
head bending over the open volume. A writer's books make his workshop
and his pleasure-house in one, and in turning over his possessions we
discover the field in which he worked and the key to his garden of the
Hesperides."

Mrs. James T. Fields,
A Shelf of Old Books (p.3)
New York, 1894

The crown jewel of my collection isn't just one book; it is a collection
of other people's books: My Sentimental Library.

Jerry Morris

Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
Moi's LIbrary http://www.moislibrary.com My Sentimental Library
http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary Florida Bibliophile Society
http://www.floridabibliophilesociety.org

Old May 8th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

BobFinnan.com wrote:
It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?

Goodness, but there are many jewels in my crown. Not all of them are
"valuable" in the re-sale sense, though several are.

Probably the one I'm most fond of is the signed first of Jack Vance's
"The Star King," because it's the only signed Vance that I've ever run
across (not counting the Underwood-Miller reprints). I know there are
others out there, but to actually buy one at a garage sale for the
lordly sum of 5 dollars made it all the more special, as I collect Vance
specifically.
Old May 8th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"BobFinnan.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?
--
RWF
http://BobFinnan.com

My 'Crown Jewel" would be a nice first of "The Outsider" by HP Lovecraft.
It was a gift from someone who knew I loved books and prompted me to start
my very small collection

EdenR

Old May 8th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own
but what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?

This: http://www.csp.org/chrestomathy/ethnopharmacologic_search.html

That entry says "first edition", was there a second?

I don't imagine it was all that rare (from the number of citations to it
I've seen) but I can't see the US Government reprinting it any time soon.

Old May 8th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

I collect science fiction and my "Crown Jewel" is an
autographed/inscribed copy of George O. Smith's 'Venus Equilateral'
inscribed from GO to E. E. 'Doc' Smith. Included in the inscription --
". . . from the young upstart to the grand old master."

-- Stephen Lucchetti