Collecting experience

Old February 20th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Collecting experience

"Clyde Crashcup" wrote in message
You say you want to talk coins, so let's talk coins, and I'll take a cue
from your essay. I hope you are able to take advantage of the best
health system in the world, though, because here comes Heart Attack City.

When Reid says he wants to talk about coins, what he really wants to do is
give another long-winded, self-serving, bombastic opinion of RCC and the
world in general, the upshot of it generally being that he, and only he,
has any numismatic knowledge and integrity and no one else should be
allowed to post unless it is in complete agreement with him and his high
estimation of himself. Whew!
Poor widdle Reid, so much knowledge to share and nobody wants to listen to
you...

Mommy! Mommy! Bruce's throwing stones at the sand castle I spent all
this time on! Tell him to stop!

I could just picture Reid monitoring the activities at his coin club meeting
and scolding groups of members who he catches discussing things other than
coins.

It's a shame that someone with obvious coin knowledge never perfected how to
share it with others in a way that they will want to hear more..

Old February 20th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 2/20/2010 9:38 AM, mazorj wrote:

Let the flaming and numismatic nitpicking begin.

You guessed it. g It already has, led by Bruce Remick. He and the
others who post here most regularly, who live here, account for the
nature of this group, which has always been the case. Usenet is a
lowest-common-denominator phenomenon, with the loudest and most frequent
posters controlling things, bringing things down to their level. Usenet
has the lowest signal-to-noise ratio of any Internet communications medium.

My post generated, immediately, four responses that have zero content
dealing with the subject matter of the group, which my post dealt with,
or anything related to the content in my post, with your response
accurately predicting this. Another example: The most popular thread
here in recent weeks, by a huge amount, has been about the weather, with
186 messages in the "Snowy RCC?" thread. On target content-full posts
about numismatics, typically, get 2 to 5 responses, with exceptions.
Posts about the weather and politics get 186 and 79 responses. No wonder
Usenet in general and this group in particular have been in such
decline, that so many people have left, and that one ISP after another
has discontinued their Usenet feeds to subscribers.

What to make of this? I think it's a telling commentary about human
nature, about how, too often, things don't go optimally when people are
entirely left to their own devices. Lord of the Flies. Usenet has and
always has had FAQs and other attempts at guidance. But people ignore
them. Other Internet communications technologies do a better job of
reigning in.

This short analysis, naturally, will just lead to more of what you
previously predicted, flaming and nitpicking, with one utterly
predictable response being that I'm whining and another utterly
predictable one being, don't let the door hit your derriere on the way
out.You know, creative stuff. g Somebody thinking they're being
terribly clever will no doubt just ape these very words. If one person
leaves a substantive response, dealing with the subject matter that I
just addressed, I believe I just might fall off my chair. If one person
discusses anything related to numismatics as a result of my opening post
in this thread, I believe I just may have a coronary. Or not.

i have some knowledge of psycho trolls. kill then with a keystroke.
you can neutralize them by ignoring them.
i like your comments, the read was worth the 5 minutes. i remember the bogus
bust half i sold, advertised as a fake. it went to a guy who loves them and
will probably love it while he's alive.
most people have a floating scale of honesty. temptation+assets=honesty.
there are always a few who steal just because they can.
Old February 20th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 2/20/2010 12:45 PM, Bruce Remick wrote:

I just couldn't resistg. You have this harsh opinion of Usenet, yet you
chose it to introduce your autobiography and views on life?g

You couch this as a joke, but you said the same thing, not jokingly, as
the first response to my post, which you also felt the need to point out
you didn't read. This is the kind of behavior so common to Usenet that
puts a damper over everything. You say I'm so into myself because I post
a long message, described clearly as a long message, detailing my
experiences buying and selling coins over the past decade. It wasn't an
autobiography, not even close. Yet you feel compelled to respond to it
saying you didn't read it and otherwise being picayune and snide.
Nowhere else but Usenet, nearly nowhere else, would somebody like you
feel compelled to comment on things they don't read!

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old February 20th 10, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 2/20/2010 1:36 PM, Mr. Jaggers wrote:

Yep, we're just a nest of vipers

At least someone is honest here.

lurking for the next victim who dares test
the waters with his big toe. Kind of like one Mr. Goldsborough occasionally
does, as he so aptly demonstrated some months ago when I, in my naiveté,
dared to make an on-topic post about a numismatic publication. Medice, cura
te ipsum.

And you still haven't gotten over your hurt feelings because I had the
audacity to post something critical of a book you spoke so lovingly
about rebinding. Books are not just paper, ink, and glue. They're
primarily words and ideas and facts, or attempts at facts. The latter,
again, is what I was focused on in discussing Breen's encyclopedia. Now
when I post about anything more often than not you feel compelled to
related this back to Breen.

The fact that you have counted 186 posts that you consider off-topic in the

I didn't count 186 posts! Google Groups does the counting, and all I did
was check it.

Let's talk "Colonial" coppers for a moment, specifically those that were

Let's talk? I'd like to, but I know next to nothing about "Colonial"
coppers. Can't collect, and know about, every coin type. You know that,
right?

These coins sound interesting though. I can see why you're interested in
them.

Old February 20th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 2/20/2010 2:50 PM, in wrote:

i like your comments, the read was worth the 5 minutes. i remember the bogus
bust half i sold, advertised as a fake. it went to a guy who loves them and
will probably love it while he's alive.

Bogus Bust halves are one of the most interesting series of bogos. A new
book on collecting them just came out, but you can't collect everything.
I've focused on Bust dollars, but unlike them Bust halves were used much
more as money. And as far as I've been able to discover, no
contemporaneous counterfeits of Bust dollars were ever produced, or very
few anyway, unlike the situation with Bust halves.

I just came across something on this, actually, at the ANS library about
two weeks ago, in a monograph published in 1845, yep, 1845, titled
"Monograph of the Silver Dollar, Good and Bad," by J.L. Riddell, M.D.
Despite the title the author also discussed in detail half dollars,
including contemporaneous fakes. But he said this about dollars: "No
counterfeits of the United States Dollar, [sic] have come to my
observation. Coins seem to be counterfeited just in proportion to the
rudeness of their workmanship, and their abundances in general
circulation. The dollar has never constituted an important part of the
general pecuniary circulation; and the workmanship being comparatively
good, it has, I imagine, very seldom been spuriously made."

Old February 20th 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 2/20/2010 1:36 PM, Mr. Jaggers wrote:

Yep, we're just a nest of vipers

At least someone is honest here.

lurking for the next victim who dares test
the waters with his big toe. Kind of like one Mr. Goldsborough
occasionally does, as he so aptly demonstrated some months ago when
I, in my naiveté, dared to make an on-topic post about a numismatic
publication. Medice, cura te ipsum.

And you still haven't gotten over your hurt feelings because I had the
audacity to post something critical of a book you spoke so lovingly
about rebinding. Books are not just paper, ink, and glue. They're
primarily words and ideas and facts, or attempts at facts. The latter,
again, is what I was focused on in discussing Breen's encyclopedia.
Now when I post about anything more often than not you feel compelled
to related this back to Breen.

How do you expect anyone to engage you in any kind of meaningful dialog when
you come out guns ablaze at anything that doesn't suit you? I would love to
respond to your lengthy treatise, but I know exactly what would happen.
Your reputation precedes you, bigtime. You do reruns, I do reruns.

The fact that you have counted 186 posts that you consider off-topic
in the

I didn't count 186 posts! Google Groups does the counting, and all I
did was check it.

That's fine, but if all you checked was the quantity, you can't possibly
have any idea of their content, yet you come on here making generalizations
as if you had.

Let's talk "Colonial" coppers for a moment, specifically those that
were

Let's talk? I'd like to, but I know next to nothing about "Colonial"
coppers. Can't collect, and know about, every coin type. You know
that, right?

I most certainly do, but I did purposely bring up the topic of counterfeits,
which is one of your known fortes. Silly me, I thought that you might wish
to engage me in an area of your expertise.

These coins sound interesting though. I can see why you're interested
in them.

They are very interesting, and I'm in my numismatic infancy where this
material is concerned. I'd love to hear commentary from you or any other
RCC folks who have an interest in the field. Unfortunately, as you are so
very well aware, the topic is arcane, and not likely to be popular here.
That's not a criticism, that's an observation based on several years of
participation in this group.

James

Old February 20th 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
On Feb 20, 1:13 pm, "Clyde Crashcup" wrote:

You say you want to talk coins, so let's talk coins, and I'll take
a cue from your essay. I hope you are able to take advantage of the
best health system in the world, though, because here comes Heart
Attack City.

When Reid says he wants to talk about coins, what he really wants to
do is give another long-winded, self-serving, bombastic opinion of
RCC and the world in general, the upshot of it generally being that
he, and only he, has any numismatic knowledge and integrity and no
one else should be allowed to post unless it is in complete
agreement with him and his high estimation of himself. Whew!
Poor widdle Reid, so much knowledge to share and nobody wants to
listen to you...

RF!!!!!! My man!!!!!! The man!!!!!! Wondered about your whereabouts
from time to time.

That's not RF, that's Leonardo posting as RF posting as Clyde Crashcup.

James the Inventor

Old February 21st 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On 2/20/2010 2:50 PM, in wrote:

[...]

thanks. i wish i could read the whole thing.
even as late as my childhood, halves circulated. i remembered having a walker
when i was 8, that's why i collected them later.
bust halves seem as varied as varieties of hi-tops.
Old February 21st 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
[...]

No joke intended. The g is meant strictly in parody of your prolific use
of it in your posts.

Seeing who the author is was enough. You're not interested in getting
people to talk about coins. You're interested in having people listen to
YOU talk about coins.

Seldom have you ever initiated a thread here where your second post doesn't
contain some kind of insult, complaint, analysis of others' perceived
shortcomings, etc. Ever wonder why your posts seem to breed this kind of
reaction?

So sorry if I've put a damper over everything on Usenet. Anything you post
here is fair game for my comment, whether I choose to read it or not.
(Actually I DID start to scan through it to see if there would be anything
new or of interest. I passed a dozen paragraphs and the tracking bar still
showed about 80% of a page left so I gave up and sped to the end. If you
were trying attract a newbie to respond, so far it looks like your overkill
worked against you. Otherwise, any regulars who actually read your posts
probably already know all they care to about your activities and interests.

Old February 21st 10, 01:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.[_3_]

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Seeing who the author is was enough. You're not interested in getting
people to talk about coins. You're interested in having people listen to
YOU talk about coins.

This was accurate when I first posted it in 2003.
http://mendosus.com/glomthis.html

Unchanged, it retains its accuracy in 2010.

(The little crying figure is Reid, in case some folk don't recognise him)

:-)

--
Jeff R.