(RCSD) Old India

Old June 7th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default (RCSD) Old India

If you are collecting Old stamps and covers of India, I can recommend

that you bookmark this on-line document.

It is a Gazetteer of India, published for the East India Company in
1857.
It is most helpful in locating towns mentioned on old covers. The URL
is :
http://books.google.ca/books?id=mDUQAAAAYAAJ

This book is over 1000 pages long, is search-able, and is also on-line
in

text format and down-loadable PDF. (73.3 MB)

Enjoy!

Blair
Old June 8th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

G'day Blair,
any ideas why I cannot search the document?

I found a pdf yesterday by Toke Norby regarding "Pacificus"
and could not search that pdf either.

This is the first time I have encountered this.
Any ideas?
Rodney

Old June 8th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Rod.

I am using Fox Reader 2.3 and I cannot search the India book. And yes, I
do have the JPEG2000 plugin installed.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old June 8th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

'Mornin Tony,
I hope it can be resolved,
It is a marvelous resource discovered by Blair.
I am wondering if I have some setting needing selection.
Rod.

"Tony Vella"

Old June 8th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Rod.
Remember that a PDF file is searchable ONLY IF it was created searchable.
There are many programs that can create PDF files but not all can create
searchable PDF files.

Old June 8th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

G'day Tony,
going by Blair's comments that it was searchable,
I thought maybe it was "layered"

to wit:

What is PDF Searchable Image?
READ MORE OF THIS PDF CONVERSION WHITE PAPER:

1.. Overview
2.. PDF Image Only
3.. PDF Searchable Image
4.. PDF Normal

OTHER PDF RESOURCES ON DCLAB.COM

a.. Is all PDF created equal?
b.. Can PDF documents be easily converted into XML?
c.. PDF or SGML? Which should I choose?
d.. DCL Technical Library, PDF pages

NEW WHITE PAPER ALERT!

Be first in line to read new articles on PDF, XML, and data
conversion. Subscribe to DCLnews, Data Conversion Laboratory's popular tech
newsletter now!

PDF Searchable Image is a PDF Image Only document with the addition of a
text layer beneath the image. This approach inexpensively retains the look
of the original page while enabling text searchability. This balanced
approach is especially suitable for documents that have to be searchable but
would be too expensive to recompose. The text layer is created by an Optical
Character Recognition (OCR) application that scans the text on each page. It
then creates a PDF file with the recognized text stored in a layer beneath
the image of the text.

Old June 8th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message

If you are collecting Old stamps and covers of India, I can recommend

that you bookmark this on-line document.

It is a Gazetteer of India, published for the East India Company in
1857.
It is most helpful in locating towns mentioned on old covers. *The URL
is :
http://books.google.ca/books?id=mDUQAAAAYAAJ

This book is over 1000 pages long, is search-able, and is also on-line
in

text format and down-loadable PDF. *(73.3 MB)

Enjoy!

Blair

Rod / Tony :

Did you try searching the HTML or text version?

I did not try to search the PDF version.

Blair

Old June 8th 09, 10:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Search works perfectly well for me in Firefox

A great resource, Blair - if not entirely accurate. The (Rajput)
ruling family of Burwanee (Barwani) would have a fit at being
described as Bhils!

Tony

Old June 8th 09, 11:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

On line Tony, or the PDF?

"Asia-translation"
Search works perfectly well for me in Firefox