Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

Old May 18th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dunkenfield

Default Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

1908 : Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

In a move that seemingly flew in the face of America's founding belief
in the separation of church and state, Congress passed legislation on
this day in 1908 that made the maxim "In God We Trust" an obligatory
element of certain coins. The motto dates back to the early 1860s, when
the Civil War stirred religious feelings throughout the nation.
America's heightened piety manifested itself in many places, including
the treasury department, which received countless letters requesting
that the nation's coins pay some form of tribute to God. Concerned
citizens and religious leaders found a fast friend in Treasury Secretary
Salmon P. Chase, who readily agreed that the "trust of our people in God
should be declared on our national coins." James Pollock, director of
the U.S. Mint at Philadelphia, was charged with devising a suitable
motto. After some key revisions from Chase, Pollock decided upon the
now-familiar "In God We Trust."

http://www.history.com/tdih.do?actio...tegory&id=5869

JAM
Old May 18th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Bill Dunkenfield" wrote in message

[...]

I agree with the late, great Theodore Roosevelt, who considered this
blasphemous.

James

Old May 18th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dunkenfield

"Mr. Jaggers" wrote:

[...]

Me too.

Many of our founding fathers were well aware of the evil that is wrought
when religious dogma becomes government policy.

JAM
Old May 18th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aram H. Haroutunian

[...]

=============
Author? It is my understanding that ONE letter was sent by a member of the
clergy urging the inclusion of some version of the motto.
This reminds me of the belief that there was great outrage at the showing of
a bare breast on the 1916 and 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter by collectors
for ages. No evidence has ever surfaced to bolster that belief, however.
"Countless" and "One" are not nearly alike enough for me.
Aram

Old May 18th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On May 18, 7:23?am, Bill Dunkenfield
wrote:
[...]

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . . ."

No state religion was established. So what's your beef?

Anka ----- weary of those who don't *get* it

Old May 18th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

I have no beef, but can only summarize what is observable. First, "In God
We Trust" is a false statement, as it does not apply to all 300 million U.S.
citizens. Second, many do not wish the government to speak for them or
represent them with regard to personal, private faith. Finally, there are
multiple interpretations and definitions of Deity, even among those who do
believe in one, that one worldview is no more important than another, true
even if a particular one might be held by a majority. Under these
circumstances, the default value must therefore be zero. You are correct in
saying that IGWT does not establish a state religion, but for the reasons I
have enumerated, it is my opinion that it should not appear on our currency.

James

Old May 18th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:54:36 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I have no beef, but can only summarize what is observable. First, "In God
We Trust" is a false statement, as it does not apply to all 300 million U.S.
citizens. Second, many do not wish the government to speak for them or
represent them with regard to personal, private faith. Finally, there are
multiple interpretations and definitions of Deity, even among those who do
believe in one, that one worldview is no more important than another, true
even if a particular one might be held by a majority. Under these
circumstances, the default value must therefore be zero. You are correct in
saying that IGWT does not establish a state religion, but for the reasons I
have enumerated, it is my opinion that it should not appear on our currency.

Bingo. And well said. I'm also weary of those who don't get it. But I
understand it. Religion has nothing to do with reason or intelligence.
It has to with faith, with believing despite evidence or lack of it.
In general, the more fundamental the faith, the less important reason
becomes. "In God We Trust" on coins in no different from prayer in
schools, at attempt to foist the religiosity of one group on the
whole. The Supreme Court over the years has interpreted the First
Amendment to mean more than the literal words, instead to mean that
national affairs and religious affairs should be separate. The
arguments for "In God We Trust" are just blatant rationalizations of
one of the most important founding doctrines of this country, this
separation of church and state, of religious affairs from national
affairs. "In God We Trust" on coins is hypocrisy.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old May 19th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Terry

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
[...]

That motto started in 1864 when things had not been going well for the US.
Now it can be looked at as a historical oddity without getting all worked up
over it. The people of Oklahoma were not allowed to have their statue of a
pioneer woman on their quarter because she carried a bible, and IGWT has
been put in an inconspicous place on the dollar coins (and the presidents's
ladie's coins also ?). So you are making some progress. I wonder how the
paper money guys are getting along with the great seal of the United States
on the dollar bill ?

TerryS

Old May 19th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Terry" wrote in message

[...]

I agree. There are things that can truly hurt people which are certainly
worth getting huffy over. To me, personal indignance over this IGWT issue--
either side-- ranks way way down on the list of things that need to be
addressed, unless one simply enjoys pontificating for exercise or extra
credit.

Bruce

Old May 19th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Fri, 18 May 2007 21:05:19 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

I agree. There are things that can truly hurt people which are certainly
worth getting huffy over. To me, personal indignance over this IGWT issue--
either side-- ranks way way down on the list of things that need to be
addressed, unless one simply enjoys pontificating for exercise or extra
credit.

Much of it has to do with how important an institution you regard
coinage. If it's just bits of metal used to make and spend change,
then sure, what verbiage your country puts on it is of little
consequence. But if you understand that a country's, any country's,
coinage is a statement it's sending out about itself, to its own
citizens as well as the rest of the world, then the verbiage and
imagery mean a lot. If you're a coin collector, I can't see how you
wouldn't be in the latter group, how you would regard it as
unimportant.

"In God We Trust" is on coinage because of political pandering and
inertia. It's a violation of the First Amendment, a violation of the
doctrine of the separation of church and state, an unconstitutional
commingling of national and religious affairs. It's a motto you'd
expect to see on the coinage of an Islamic theocracy, not a Western
democracy.