2006 Standard Catalog of World Coins

Old December 17th 05, 05:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 2006 Standard Catalog of World Coins

I went to Barnes and Noble, and found a copy of the cat. he

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...499875& itm=1

Went I went to the brick an mortar store, however, I found a different
version of the catalog. It looks like this:

http://www.wscoin.com/ViewProduct.cf...715&FirstRow=1

They both appear to be the same book, but I noticed a few differences. On
the covers, one of them claims to be by Krause and Mishler while the other
claims to be "Based on the original work" of Krause and Mishler. One of them
claims to have 50,000 full size illustrations while the other claims 1,200
fewer. One of them says 1901 to present while the other says that it covers
1901 to the 21st Century. Minor differences to be sure, and between the
covers I suspect that they're identical books...but does anyone know for
certain? Is there some substantial difference that anyone is aware of
between these two that I might have missed? Why the expense and trouble of
two different covers? My inquiring mind wants to know.

And of course, they're both 2006 and the 33rd edition. The last link I
provided says that it's the 32nd edition, but a look at the cover of the
book dismisses that.

Old December 17th 05, 11:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Honus" wrote in message
[...]

That is indeed curious, but my guess is that the online listing shows an
early prototype cover used for advance advertising and that was later
modified when the real thing went through final edit. My copy looks like
the brick and mortar one and has 2335 pages. By the way, are you aware that
both B&N and Borders have big discount coupons available right now? Send me
your email and I'll send you back a copy of either or both. But do it
today, because I might use them up tomorrow!

James

Old December 17th 05, 12:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ο "Honus" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
I went to Barnes and Noble, and found a copy of the cat. he

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...499875& itm=1

I've seen 2 different covers many times in the past, even in the 2003
edition I own!
I really can't say why is that.
But it happens almost every year.

A comment on price:
At Amazon.com you can buy it for $34, so why don't you buy it from them
since at B&N it costs $44.00 (even as a member it still costs more than in
Amazon...)?

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

Old December 17th 05, 01:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

The wording "based upon the orginal work" and the KP symbol in a circle
are part of the agreement between Mr. Krause and F&W not to use his
name anymore (he is very unhappy that the ESOP ever sold the company).

oly

Old December 18th 05, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message

That is indeed curious, but my guess is that the online listing shows an
early prototype cover used for advance advertising and that was later
modified when the real thing went through final edit.

Great minds think alike. That one had crossed my mind as well.

My copy looks like
the brick and mortar one and has 2335 pages. By the way, are you aware

that
both B&N and Borders have big discount coupons available right now? Send

me
your email and I'll send you back a copy of either or both. But do it
today, because I might use them up tomorrow!

Done, and done. I've sent you an email. Thanks!

Old December 18th 05, 02:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Honus" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
I went to Barnes and Noble, and found a copy of the cat. he

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...499875& itm=1

I've seen 2 different covers many times in the past, even in the 2003
edition I own!
I really can't say why is that.
But it happens almost every year.

Really! That's what I'm curious about. One of those mysteries of life, I
suppose. Or at least it'll remain that way unless I decide to dig
further...which I rather doubt. g

A comment on price:
At Amazon.com you can buy it for $34, so why don't you buy it from them
since at B&N it costs $44.00 (even as a member it still costs more than in
Amazon...)?

Because if I buy it at B&N, it'll be in my hands whenever I want.

I wasn't looking to buy it online, I was actually trying to see if my local
B&N had it in stock. That feature's not available, or at least I couldn't
find it, and so I just stopped by the store after work. That's when I
noticed that the cover was different, even though the contents were
identical to what I've seen in copies of the catalog from the last two
years, i.e. denomination index, glossary, etc. Thanks for the heads-up,
though. Man...34 bucks is a steal. I'm going to check; I actually may be
able to justify buying the other 3 books in the series if they're that much
less at Amazon!

Old December 18th 05, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"oly" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wording "based upon the orginal work" and the KP symbol in a circle
are part of the agreement between Mr. Krause and F&W not to use his
name anymore (he is very unhappy that the ESOP ever sold the company).

Heh...then he's probably -really- upset that they used his picture inside
the book. It's right above his introduction. gbg

Maybe they had some sort of financial or fiduciary arrangement? Either way,
thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Old December 18th 05, 12:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Honus, you really ought to learn to READ.

The photograph in introduction of the 2006 edition of the Standard
Catalog of World Coins is a photograph of Clifford Mishler (who is not
Chet Krause). Mr. Krause and Mr. Mishler have a near-familial
relationship, So close but no cigar for you!

The same photograph and same introduction (word-for-word) were in the
2005 edition as well, so it hardly has anything to do with how the
cover credits were changed between 2005 and 2006.

HOWEVER, I do hope that you are correct & that Mr. Mishler gets a nice
check for the use of his name & visage in this instance.

Now that Mr. Mishler has went to work as a consultant for Whitman
Publishing LLC, it will be interesting to see whether or not the next
edition has a different introduction.

oly

Honus wrote:
oups.com...

Old December 18th 05, 01:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I feel sorry for Chet Krause in the way things have gone with his
former
company and the animosity that now exists between them. He spent his
life building the company and then it gets swallowed up by an outsider.

In retrospect the ESOP was a mistake but who knew it at the time?

Old December 18th 05, 02:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 18 Dec 2005 05:32:44 -0800, "stonej"
wrote:

I feel sorry for Chet Krause in the way things have gone with his
former
company and the animosity that now exists between them. He spent his
life building the company and then it gets swallowed up by an outsider.

In retrospect the ESOP was a mistake but who knew it at the time?

This post has sexual innuendo in it. Your ISP has been notified!