Soon no new cancelled stamps?

Old September 23rd 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Soon no new cancelled stamps?

New Zealand Post has stopped canceling stamps on mail — at least
temporarily.

A New Zealand Post spokesperson told Linn’s Sept. 18: “New Zealand Post is
currently trialling some new processes to reduce costs, due to the
accelerating mail volume decline, this includes stopping the cancelling of
stamps by processing machines.”

As for concerns about the not-canceled stamps being reused, the spokesperson
said: “While stamps are not currently being machine postmarked, we do have
processes in place to detect the re-use of stamps and postage included
envelopes.

Source:
https://www.linns.com/news/world-sta...DigitalEdition

Victor Manta, PWO

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old September 23rd 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

New Zealand Post has stopped canceling stamps on mail at least
temporarily.

A New Zealand Post spokesperson told Linns Sept. 18: New Zealand Post is
currently trialling some new processes to reduce costs, due to the
accelerating mail volume decline, this includes stopping the cancelling of
stamps by processing machines.

As for concerns about the not-canceled stamps being reused, the spokesperson
said: While stamps are not currently being machine postmarked, we do have
processes in place to detect the re-use of stamps and postage included
envelopes.

Source:
https://www.linns.com/news/world-sta...DigitalEdition

Other postal authorities have done some of this canccel 'skipping',
notably Great Britain. The result is 'action' by postal clerks to
'cancel' those stamps using ballpoint pens, sharpies or any other
means at hand, including ripping portions of the stamps 'to deface
against fraud'.

Another gummint 'nail in the coffin' of stamp collecting.

JA

---

Old September 24th 18, 12:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

New Zealand Post has stopped canceling stamps on mail — at least
temporarily.

Other postal authorities have done some of this canccel 'skipping',
notably Great Britain. The result is 'action' by postal clerks to
'cancel' those stamps using ballpoint pens, sharpies or any other
means at hand, including ripping portions of the stamps 'to deface
against fraud'.

Another gummint 'nail in the coffin' of stamp collecting.

This is not about manually damaging the stamps that weren't cancelled by the
standard automatic devices but about somehow marking the stamps as used by a
kind of invisible ink jet spitting device.

You're right about "Another gummint 'nail in the coffin' of stamp
collecting", it's exactly this.

It will open a new collecting era of "Spit or Not Spit stamps". A cheap spit
detecting device (about £199.99) will be sold by Stanley Gibbons to advanced
collectors...

Victor Manta, PWO

Old September 24th 18, 03:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David E. Ross

On 9/22/2018 5:33 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
New Zealand Post has stopped canceling stamps on mail at least
temporarily.

A New Zealand Post spokesperson told Linns Sept. 18: New Zealand Post is
currently trialling some new processes to reduce costs, due to the
accelerating mail volume decline, this includes stopping the cancelling of
stamps by processing machines.

As for concerns about the not-canceled stamps being reused, the spokesperson
said: While stamps are not currently being machine postmarked, we do have
processes in place to detect the re-use of stamps and postage included
envelopes.

Source:
https://www.linns.com/news/world-sta...DigitalEdition

Victor Manta, PWO

I live in California in the Unite States. Tax and fee payments to both
the federal and state governments are considered paid on time if they
are mailed with cancellations not later than the due date.

I will have a property (real estate) tax payment to my county due on 10
December. As long as the envelope contains a postmark dated 10 December
or earlier, I incur no penalty for a late payment even if the US Postal
Service does not deliver the envelope two weeks later.

If there is no cancellation, how do I prove I mailed the payment on time?

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com

Too often, Twitter is a source of verbal vomit. Examples include Donald
Trump, Roseanne Barr, and Elon Musk.
Old September 24th 18, 06:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Thank you Victor, Sir F.A. Rien and David for this very interesting
discussion that I am relaying to the french speaking newsgroup on
philately :

Il will post here later on (I am leaving for 15 days) a summary
of the discussions on the french speaking ng.

BTW, I would appreciate to understand what you mean,
"Sir F.A. Rien" with 'gummint' as my dictionnaries have not been
of any help :-(

I would also appreciate - if acceptable for you - to get a valid e-mail
address.
Mine is "courtiade at free dot fr"

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old September 24th 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

Il will post here later on (I am leaving for 15 days) a summary
of the discussions on the french speaking ng.

BTW, I would appreciate to understand what you mean,
"Sir F.A. Rien" with 'gummint' as my dictionnaries have not been
of any help :-(

I would also appreciate - if acceptable for you - to get a valid e-mail
address.
Mine is "courtiade at free dot fr"

"gummint" = "Gummed up governmental bureaucracy".

---

Old September 24th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 19:52:44 -0700, "David E. Ross"
[...]

Options include:
Obtaining a 'Proof Of Mailing"
Having the clerk use the counter canceller in your presence.
Sending by tracked means.

---

Old September 24th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 19:47:54 -0400, "Victor Manta"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

If that 'detector' works as well as their watermark detectors ...
ROTFLMAO!

BTW, have you checked a 'black light' on the spit?
Perhaps another usage of Luminol [or similar]?

---

Old September 24th 18, 06:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
KenK

"Victor Manta" wrote in
:

This is not about manually damaging the stamps that weren't cancelled
by the standard automatic devices but about somehow marking the stamps
as used by a kind of invisible ink jet spitting device.

Sounds to me like cancelling is about the same effort. Then why stop
cancelling normally. Maybe sometning about cancellation dates?

Old November 9th 18, 09:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jan-Martin Hertzsch[_3_]

On 9/23/18 2:33 AM, Victor Manta wrote:
New Zealand Post has stopped canceling stamps on mail — at least
temporarily.

A New Zealand Post spokesperson told Linn’s Sept. 18: “New Zealand Post
is currently trialling some new processes to reduce costs, due to the
accelerating mail volume decline, this includes stopping the cancelling
of stamps by processing machines.”

Apparently, the experiment of not cancelling the stamps was cancelled
after a few days. According to a source which I have forgotten in the
meantime, on 8 October 2018 stamp cancellation should have resumed.

-jmh