Original Bic

Old September 12th 18, 02:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
J.B. Wood

Default Original Bic

This is probably a who-cares type of question but if one is of a certain
age and remembers the original Bic "Crystal" (note not "Cristal"):

I first encountered this non-retractable ballpoint pen as a kid in the
early '60s and it sold for I think 15 or 19 cents at the local drug
store. The look was essentially the same as the currently available
"Cristal" but the entire point and nose cone consisted of brass, unlike
now where the nose cone is plastic. There were also TV ads at the time
where the pen was strapped to a figure skaters' blade or shot out of a
rifle to demo its quality. So the trivia question is when did Bic
switch to the plastic nose cone (presumably a production cost savings)
and change "Crystal" to "Cristal"? I'm assuming Bic also improved their
ink over the decades as those earlier models would sometimes result in
ink siphoning out into the pen housing, oozing out the vent hole and
into your shirt pocket! Thanks for your time and historical comment.
Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old September 17th 18, 12:10 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
J.B. Wood

On 9/15/2018 5:02 PM, Bud Frede wrote:

I don't remember them being called "Crystal" at all. They were just BIC
pens (in the US). I would assume that the "Cristal" name they use now is
from another language - perhaps French?

I also don't remember when they switched from an all-brass tip to the
current brass and plastic. I think it was the early '70s though.

Hello, and thanks for the reply to my OP. Here's a link with a pic to
what I remember being sold:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...oint-469610137

Besides individual packaging they were also sold in bins in drug store
displays. This was the only style of Bic pen available in the U.S. for
several years. Way before Bic butane lighters ("A flick of my Bic"),
shavers and other ball pen types. (Just for the record my ball pen
price-for-performance award would have to go to Parker who offered a
silver/black retractable that's still available today. That Parker ink
in that fat refill just refuses to dry out.) Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: