Time's Winged Chariot.

Old January 8th 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default Time's Winged Chariot.

Some Journalists employ the English Language
with such skill, and with such apparent ease.
It's even better when one of our own kind is so blessed.

Hence I share these couple of paragraphs, that explains
the other "hidden cost" of any stamp purchase.
The cost of impatience.

Snipped:
THE BERKSWELL CUCKOO
One Sunday afternoon in the middle of our indifferent
Spring I found myself standing in the village churchyard at Berkswell
listening to the sound of a distant cuckoo.
Whether the bird was trying to put some sort of musical
accompaniment to the rare shafts of sunlight the day had
brought forth, or whether it was making sarcastic
comment about the price I had recently paid for a
Berkswell Village Church official cover I do not know.

It is true I had paid highly for it; but in FDC collecting as
in everything else you must be prepared to pay for your
impatience. If you can play the waiting game you may
eventually get a scarce cover at catalogue price or even
less; but if you hear time's winged chariot hurrying near,
and the spirit of acquisitiveness rises up strongly within
you, you pay over the odds, and salve your conscience
by telling yourself that in the long run the cover will prove
to be a good investment, or your disposition will become
all the sunnier because of it, or the item is undercatalogued
anyway, and so on. So you go on your way rejoicing
- as, of course, does the brisk lad who sold it to you.

Edward Murch "Collect First Day Covers" 1984