1943/2 P Nickel?

Old August 8th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aram H. Haroutunian

Default 1943/2 P Nickel?

On 31 Jul 2006 04:37:34 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
e wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Amistad wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Just won a small little auction on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PageNam e=ADM
E:B:EOIBSA:US:12

Check the second coin. What do you think? I don't think it has a
repunched date. That leaves...

I'm not sure what you have there, Daniel. But it doesn't look like "it" is
located in the right spot. Here's a photo that I took a while back from a
certified overdate:

http://www.freshonmymind.com/overdate/1943-60.jpg

Thanks for looking, Amistad. While researching on the web prior to
purchase, I saw a similar coin as your excellent photo. Was identified
as "repunched" date. I believe, but could not find on-line photographs
to prove, that the 43/2 had a smaller spur from the lower loop of the
3, and a small spur coming off the other side.

I would have said your photo was of the repunched date. I'm sure the
folks at PCGS will know the difference. And I'm also sure that nobody
is going to take my word for it that tis is a 1943/2 overdate.

An interesting question, don't you think?

Daniel B. Wheeler

daniel, can you post a close up of the date?
your doesn't look quite right but it's hard to tell.

I'll try to ... after I get it.G Haven't even got payment to the
seller yet. Will do that tomorrow AM.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I have decided I will not be submitting it to PCGS, and it is probably
an altered date.

The reason? There is no filling of the bottom of the 3 below the spur.
There also appears to be something at the lower right of the cross in
the 4 that bothers me. It looks like a cud, but haven't heard/seen
anything resembling it in the authentic 43/2P nickels. I can always
hope it's just an odd toning.

At any rate, will definately post photo after receiving it. Thanks
again!

Daniel B. Wheeler

Congratulations on your observation about the "filled" area inside the
three. It is actually the horizontal bottom stroke of the two and is
the actual diagnostic for this die variety. All references to "spurs"
notwithstanding. HTH.
Aram.
Old August 8th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:44:37 GMT, in (e) wrote:

In article , "Amistad" wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
Just won a small little auction on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PageNam e=ADM
E:B:EOIBSA:US:12

Check the second coin. What do you think? I don't think it has a
repunched date. That leaves...

I'm not sure what you have there, Daniel. But it doesn't look like "it" is
located in the right spot. Here's a photo that I took a while back from a
certified overdate:

http://www.freshonmymind.com/overdate/1943-60.jpg

Amistad
'but sure looks like "something" is there'

ami-yours is the perfect sample coin. the "barb" part of the
2 sticking out is the best diagnostic as is the backside of
the 3. i found 4 coins in a huge batch and 2 of them looked
funny but did not have the barb. i think there is a
repunched date that can fool you, but the barb and backside
show the real thing.
they also don't seem super rare. i've found 5 over the
years, so i expect there are many. they did seem to use
those wartime dies as long as possible.

Again, the reference to the "barb" is misleading. The definitive
diagnostic of the 1943/1942 doubled die Jefferson Five Cent Piece is
the lower horizontal of the two within the three. HTH
Aram.
Old August 8th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:17:08 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"e" wrote in message
In article , "Amistad"
wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
Just won a small little auction on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PageNam e=ADM
E:B:EOIBSA:US:12

Check the second coin. What do you think? I don't think it has a
repunched date. That leaves...

I'm not sure what you have there, Daniel. But it doesn't look like "it" is
located in the right spot. Here's a photo that I took a while back from a
certified overdate:

http://www.freshonmymind.com/overdate/1943-60.jpg

Amistad
'but sure looks like "something" is there'

ami-yours is the perfect sample coin. the "barb" part of the
2 sticking out is the best diagnostic as is the backside of
the 3. i found 4 coins in a huge batch and 2 of them looked
funny but did not have the barb. i think there is a
repunched date that can fool you, but the barb

An excellent choice of words, e. The projection at the end of the 3 looks
like a scorpion's sting on the 43 over 42 nickel.

Mr. Jaggers

Might be a nice choice of words, but misleading. The bottom
horizontal stroke of the two within the three is the diagnostic one
looks for.
Aram.

Nickel Three Cent Rare erikeich General 0 February 9th 06 05:43 PM
NICKEL THREE CENT RARE!~ http://stores.ebay.com/E-L-Coins Coins 0 February 9th 06 05:41 PM
FS: first batch paragon Coins 0 January 25th 05 01:35 PM
PR: NGC Confirms Authentication of Recovered 1913 Liberty Nickel ANA Paper Money 1 September 11th 03 08:01 PM
PR: NGC Confirms Authentication of Recovered 1913 Liberty Nickel ANA Coins 0 September 11th 03 07:18 PM