Portuguese philately - type of paper used for stamps

Old May 2nd 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default Portuguese philately - type of paper used for stamps

Between 1912 and 1931 Portugal issued a series of stamps called CERES for
use in Portugal and the Colonies. This series was printed and reprinted by
a number of different printers and consequently ended up being printed on
quite a number of different types of paper -- one printer even went so far
as to print a large number of these stamps on postcard stock. One of the
most used papers was called papel pontinhado. So far I have been using
pontinhado (in italics) because I have not been able to find equivalent in
English for this type of paper.

Quite some time ago I asked on this group for help and received no replies
so I shall try again. So far, through the Simoes, Afinsa, and De Santos
catalogues I have been able to ascertain that pontinhado paper IS NOT
standard, chalk-surfaced, granite, laid, woven, glossy, lozenged or native,
and that it has not been used since the late 40s. So I return to the
experts: what the heck is this papel pontinhado? I have some of these
stamps in my collections and even under an electronic microscope I cannot
differentiate these stamps from the same stamps listed separately under
papel liso.

Referrals to philatelic newsgroups have been followed but without success.
Requests for information to the Filatélia Division of the Grupo CTT
(Portuguese Postal Service) have not been answered.

Thanks in advance for all help.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old May 3rd 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I am surprised that Mr. Tracy Barber did not reply Tony,
He is a Portuguese afficianado, is he not?
perhaps send him an off group query,
Rodney

Old May 3rd 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Rod.

I had intended my original post for another of my groups
(sci.lang.translation) but somehow I sent it to RCSD. I shall try again
because I know there are a couple of Portuguese translators on SLT who have
heaven knows what technical dictionaries. I am currently working on a
translation of Ceres papers which I am not being paid for and which
therefore I can make available to all RCSD chappies when done.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old May 3rd 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Lozenge paper Tony

If you scroll down all the Portuguese translations of usages here
http://www.caleida.pt/filatelia/diversos/dicion01.html

HTH

BTW what is lozenged paper?

Old May 3rd 09, 11:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Tony,

I should be able to answer most of your questions when I dig a little bit
into this matter.

One thing to remember is that the terms the locals [Portuguese] use are
awfully confusing and bear no systematics!

At least that is what I am confronted with when studying the Argentinean
watermarks since 1921. The locals have no idea what they are
talking/writing about. I am re-writing the Argentinean catalogue right
now as far as the period 1921-1980 is concerned

In the period of 1912-1939 the machine-made paper has no "laid" structure
at all. Only woven (or linen-binding) exists with a pattern of rhomboids
[or lozanges] that always has the direction of paper parallel to the long
axis of the rhomboid. After 1938 the pattern in the paper wire may have
changed in to the "twill" pattern that may give a "laid-like" effect!
Dandy-rolls at the end of the paper-machine may apply not only watermarks
but also other desired effects including horizontal/vertical lines to
deceive you thinking the paper had been hand-made....

What type of coating had been applied is a comnpletely different subject.
And the coating may be glossy or matt, etc.... The pulp fibres may have
different length and some coloure dfibres may also have been added to the
pulp.

groetjes, Rein

Op Sat, 02 May 2009 23:31:52 +0200 schreef Tony Vella
:

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old May 3rd 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hello Rein.

The text I have been asked to translate was written in the mid-50s by a
retired Portuguese military official. So besides the linguistic exigencies
I must also deal with the numerous abbreviations normally found in the
"Military Portuguese" of the period. So many abbreviations are used that it
reminds me very much of early Renaissance Italian where sometimes in an
entire sentence you will not find a single word written complete. In both
instances this is attributed mainly to the belief that the text was written
specifically for people who shared the author's linguistic habits or
idiosyncrasies. With such documents, for me, at least, it is necessary to
expand the abbreviated Portuguese into complete Portuguese before I even
start thinking of translating into English. A number of years ago I
translated a longish document about Travelling Post Offices aboard early
Mozambique Railways which was also written by a Portuguese military man who
retired in Mozambique in the 50s. Getting rid of the abbreviations took me
longer than the actual translation.

I thank you in advance for any future help.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

news

Old May 3rd 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On May 2, 10:04*pm, "rodney" wrote:
....and chappettes? *

or chippies?