let the questions begin

Old August 12th 03, 02:10 PM
Bruce Hickmott

Default let the questions begin

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:57:34 GMT, "Queen of Squishies" is
alleged to have written:

At the top of my little box was the silver dollars so I pulled those out
first and started looking around at some of the links that were offered. I
have three - 1901, 1882, and 1879. How do I know if something is a P, an
O, or an S? What's that all about?

Karen,
making cents in IL

look at the reverse, under the middle of the wreath. No mark is P, the others
are obvious. :-)

Bruce

Old August 12th 03, 02:47 PM
doobie

The letters P, O and S etc are mint marks indicating where the coin was
minted.

--
-- Remember when a hero with
convictions wasn't a ball
ink.net...

Old August 12th 03, 03:47 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:57:34 GMT, "Queen of Squishies"
is alleged to have written:

At the top of my little box was the silver dollars so I pulled those
out
first and started looking around at some of the links that were
offered. I have three - 1901, 1882, and 1879. How do I know if
something is a P, an
O, or an S? What's that all about?

Karen,
making cents in IL

look at the reverse, under the middle of the wreath. No mark is P,
the others are obvious. :-)

Bruce

"P" (or no mint mark) is Philalelphia mint, "O" is New Orleans mint and "S"
is San Francisco mint. There is also a "CC" for Carson City, Nev mint in
the Morgan series.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 12th 03, 04:03 PM
Queen of Squishies

I have an S, an O, and .....mmmmmm...... a rectangle. Probably an S, it's
narrower than the O.

Karen,
making cents in IL

Old August 12th 03, 04:03 PM
Queen of Squishies

Aha!

K.

Old August 12th 03, 04:20 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Queen of Squishies" wrote in message
link.net
I have an S, an O, and .....mmmmmm...... a rectangle. Probably an S,
it's narrower than the O.

Karen,
making cents in IL

Unless these are very high grade coins, they are not really valuable. By
your description they are probably average circulated examples and worth
from $10 - $20 per coin retail. If you went to sell them to a dealer you
would realize much less than that (problably $6 - $15 per). If you can post
pics to alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic we can give you a better idea of
value. Here's where the Red Book would come in handy for you. :-)

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 12th 03, 07:34 PM
Larry Louks

"doobie" wrote:

The letters P, O and S etc are mint marks indicating where the coin was

minted.

I'm well aware of S, O, and CC. But are there any Morgans that actually have
a "P" stamped on them?

-=LDL

Old August 12th 03, 07:37 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Larry Louks" wrote in message
"doobie" wrote:

The letters P, O and S etc are mint marks indicating where the coin
was minted.

I'm well aware of S, O, and CC. But are there any Morgans that
actually have a "P" stamped on them?

-=LDL

No. The Philalelphia mint Morgans have no mint mark at all.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 12th 03, 10:23 PM
coinpage.com

The O & S are mintmarks. The was no P mintmark for the 1901, 1882,
and 1879 silver dollars. This link might help...

http://www.coinpage.com/glossary.php?search=mintmark

Old August 14th 03, 04:22 AM
George D

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:34:33 GMT, "Larry Louks" is
alleged to have written:

"doobie" wrote:

The letters P, O and S etc are mint marks indicating where the coin was

minted.

I'm well aware of S, O, and CC. But are there any Morgans that actually have
a "P" stamped on them?

-=LDL

Not from the mint. But if you want one, I can make one in a jiffy. :-)

Bruce

If not incuse you will get your silver P mint mark to glue on from where? Maybe a modern proof?
--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

AAA, AARP, ANA, NRA, RCC ?+1, PIA, PIAAZ, GATF 85006-3032-18-4

The reward for a good deed is to have done it.

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.