What causes "milk spots"?

Old April 28th 04, 03:00 AM
MarkR

Default What causes "milk spots"?

I just took out my silver collection to take a look at the silica gel
canisters and I noticed that my 1996 SAE has what I believe in numismatics
is referred to as "milk spots". Now what causes them? All of my silver
bullion coins are stored in a Tupperware type container which is safe for
coins and there are several silica gel canisters in with them. They are
checked regularly. The coins are all in air-tites. The area they are
stored in has no moisture. The area is just above my garage, which is cold,
but that shouldn't matter. Any ideas? It makes me mad to think that I
spent all this money on coins that I enjoy that are going to not be worth
anything above melt if they keep on getting these spots. Thanks.

Mark

Old April 28th 04, 02:05 PM
AnswerMan2

The usual cause for milk spots is resdue from the cleaning process during the
minting of the coin and has nothing to do with the current storage media.

Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan
Old April 28th 04, 02:29 PM
James Higby

Two thoughts:

First, even though you say there is "no moisture," there IS moisture. I
don't think there are any areas on the planet, including Death Valley, where
the relative humidity is zero. There are stories of people surviving there
by making a sun still to capture moisture coming up from the ground.

Second, it wasn't clear if just the garage is cold, or if the area above it
is cold. If the coins DO go through alternations of cold and hot, at least
some of the available moisture may condense on the coins during the cycle,
even with silica gel in the vicinity. The most dangerous part of that cycle
is the period of time when the coins are still cold, but the ambient air is
warming, picking up greater relative (and absolute) humidity that can be
delivered to the coin storage area.

.. .

Old April 28th 04, 10:45 PM
Jack

AnswerMan2 wrote:
The usual cause for milk spots is resdue from the cleaning process during the
minting of the coin and has nothing to do with the current storage media.

Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan

That's what I thought. Wasn't the spotting on some golden dollars due
to that?
I think that's why some coins that have beed dipped without a thorough
wash afterwards sometimes end up with a splotchy kind of toning.
Jack
Old April 29th 04, 01:27 AM
MarkR

"MarkR" wrote in message
.. .
I just took out my silver collection to take a look at the silica gel
canisters and I noticed that my 1996 SAE has what I believe in numismatics
is referred to as "milk spots". Now what causes them? All of my silver
bullion coins are stored in a Tupperware type container which is safe for
coins and there are several silica gel canisters in with them. They are
checked regularly. The coins are all in air-tites. The area they are
stored in has no moisture. The area is just above my garage, which is

cold,
but that shouldn't matter. Any ideas? It makes me mad to think that I
spent all this money on coins that I enjoy that are going to not be worth
anything above melt if they keep on getting these spots. Thanks.

Mark

So should I just not worry about it or should I go out and buy a new coin
for every one that has the spots on them? Advice please. Thanks again.

Mark

Old April 30th 04, 03:42 PM
AnswerMan2

At what point in the process are the coins washed? After striking, before
upsetting or?
The planchets are washed after they are annealed.

Every mint (U.S. and European) that I have visited seems to have a different
formula for cleaning planchets, mostly based on a detergent, but often with
other chemicals mixed in.
Alan Herbert

FS: Disney & Various "Milk-Caps/Pogs" Sets J.R. Sinclair Cards:- non-sport 0 September 17th 04 05:49 AM
FS: 1995 Benjy "Hawaiian Milk Caps" Singles J.R. Sinclair Cards:- non-sport 0 June 20th 04 07:03 AM
FA: Milk Glass Moon by Adriana Trigiani dillon Books 0 November 18th 03 05:00 PM
Milk Spots on SAE's Paul Coins 12 November 10th 03 04:57 PM
FS: 1995 "Barbie" (Factory-Sealed) Milk Caps Wax Packs Jim Sinclair Cards:- non-sport 0 October 4th 03 06:02 AM