Another book find

Old July 6th 04, 07:27 PM
BookEditions

Default Another book find

Toady at the local library book store, a first printing as stated (Delacorte)
in dust jacket of Tim O'Brien's "Going After Cacciato." Book is near fine and
appears unread, and the DJ has only slight edge rubbing and two very minor
nicks. My cost: $1. This will probably go on Amazon, although I might make my
first attempt at selling on Ebay. Either way, this is one that if I never sell
it, I'll be just as happy as if I did.
Also, a very nice book that unforyunately has some lose pages. Its by Funk and
Wagnells (I know, the cheap encyclopedia people) titled "The World's Great
Pictures, Fully Illustrated, with Descriptive Notes of the Chief Masterpieces
of Painting in the Public and Private Collections of Europe." I haven't
researched this oversize boo of really nice art prints yet, but it is very
intersting to look at. I haven't been able to find any printing date reference
inside. Anyone know anything about this one?
Les
Old July 7th 04, 05:13 AM
Jon Meyers

"Art Layton" wrote...
BookEditions wrote...

Toady at the local library book store, a first printing as stated

(Delacorte)
in dust jacket of Tim O'Brien's "Going After Cacciato." Book is near

fine and
appears unread, and the DJ has only slight edge rubbing and two very

minor
nicks. My cost: $1.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Art, you hold him down, and I'll smack
him...and then we'll switch places.

Seriously, though--very nice find, Les.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

Old July 8th 04, 08:59 PM
BookEditions

(BookEditions) wrote in message

Toady at the local library book store, a first printing as stated

(Delacorte)
in dust jacket of Tim O'Brien's "Going After Cacciato." Book is near fine

and
appears unread, and the DJ has only slight edge rubbing and two very

minor
nicks. My cost: $1. This will probably go on Amazon, although I might

make my
first attempt at selling on Ebay. Either way, this is one that if I never

sell
it, I'll be just as happy as if I did.

snip

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!. I have a crappy ex-lib copy of this book
and can never find decent copies (even later printings) for my
collection of Vietnam books at anywhere reasonable prices.

Art Layton
Stamford CT

Just checked my bookshelf. A second printing. I bought it
shortly after it came out, probably the week after the NY
Times Book Review.

Francis A. Miniter

I remember buying copies of this off an obscure remainder shop. Only
got a few first printings, but one was signed. I was tickled to buy
them for $2 and sell them for $20. I haven't found one in the wild
since then. Ever notice how you NEVER keep the right books?

David

David,

I know what you mean about keeping the right books. I am really on the
fencepost about selling this one. I'll probably never see another first of it,
especially in this condition. But then I would assume I could gain a nice
profit from its sale and maybe buy a few other books with the proceeds. I
suppose I could set a high required minimum bid (I'm thinking of in the $150
range) and if it doesn't go, I could then tell myself that I tried to sell it
and keep it for my own library.
Les

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
"Book Sales" remainder catalog - how to find? Sophie Borodin Books 4 August 28th 03 03:59 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM