Refill compatibility for BP and RB

Old May 7th 06, 05:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default Refill compatibility for BP and RB

Hi all, as we can say that ballpoints and rollerballs are just refill
holders, it think it would be useful to know the compatibility of the
refills of different manufacturers. But..how? Are there standards that
manufacturers follow? Or each one has its proprietary refill? Is there
a list on the internet? There's at least a site where I can see
measures of the refills?
By now, I only know for sure that Aurora, Parker and Pelikan use the
same refill for ballpoints. Surfing on the net I also discovered that
Montegrappa's refill are compatible. But I'd like to have a more
complete list, both for BP and RB. Can you help me?

Old May 8th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Lupner wrote:
Hi all, as we can say that ballpoints and rollerballs are just refill
holders, it think it would be useful to know the compatibility of the
refills of different manufacturers. But..how? Are there standards that
manufacturers follow? Or each one has its proprietary refill? Is there
a list on the internet? There's at least a site where I can see
measures of the refills?
By now, I only know for sure that Aurora, Parker and Pelikan use the
same refill for ballpoints. Surfing on the net I also discovered that
Montegrappa's refill are compatible. But I'd like to have a more
complete list, both for BP and RB. Can you help me?

What we are talking about is two different things. BP refills are not
the same as rollerball refills - they use different kind of ink
properties and the rollerball refills are more "wetter" than the ball
point refills.

Also, the life of rollerball refills is two months or so after they are
taken out of the wrapper. Even though you keep the pen fully capped,
the refill will begin to dry out. Rollerball users keep on using their
rollerball until the ink is dry. Many will use the rollerball as their
primary writer or hi-liter.

Form, fit and function are different for rollerball and ball point
refills. It is doable to convert a Parker rollerball writer (75 class,
T-1 class) to a ball point refill writer with the addition of two black
adapters that can be taken from a Parker Big Red rollerball pen or
ordered directly from a dealer that has one.

Not all pens will fit easily with the ball point or rollerball refill
of your choice. Pen manufacturers discourage cross use of other
manufacturer's pen refills of either rollerball or ball point, but it
is possible to subsitute a "Parker style" refill for a "Parker made"
ball point refill on a ball pen that accepts such refills.

If anyone has any information on what fits what, please put it in
Google's alt pen collecting site so that all may know.

James K. Goodwin

Old May 19th 06, 04:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Lupner" writes:

By now, I only know for sure that Aurora, Parker and Pelikan use the
same refill for ballpoints. Surfing on the net I also discovered that
Montegrappa's refill are compatible. But I'd like to have a more
complete list, both for BP and RB. Can you help me?

That ballpoint refill of Parker became later standrdized by ISO but it
is still called "Parker-style refill".

http://www.canit.se/~griffon/writing...standards.html

Here is one good list of ballpoint pens using Parker-style refills:

http://hisnibs.com/ink_refills.htm#C...0Gel%20Refills

I can't help you with rollerball refills. It is another can of worms.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Oh no, I know a dirty word." Nirvana