Nigerian scam has become Dutch scam!

Old July 28th 03, 10:17 AM
A.M.Heindorff

David F. wrote in message
LOL me too
Nevermind this stuff is illegal in Texas
Best I've ever done was $50 on a scratch off ticket for our Texas

lottery

Shell

Well, there is one rule for this...

Never, Never, NEVER send Bank Account or
Savings Account numbers in reply to requests
for personal details!

Give an Address, if you must 'find out' what they
want, but NOTHING else!

If anything happens "by accident", your bank will
*always* change your card for a new one on the
grounds of alleged abuse.

Mette

Old July 28th 03, 02:06 PM
Toke Nørby

"A.M.Heindorff" wrote:

Toke:
Mette, I collect and keep all the scam mails I receive, just for fun.
I have 576 at the moment - want to trade? :-)

...snip

Jamen Toke dog!!! :-) Yes, I do know that you "collect" them (!)
and will forward the said one to your collection. I meant to ask
you last night whether you wanted it or not, but in the end I was
so tired that I needed to close down ;-)

Mette, Please! I was just making fun and keep only the ones sent
directly to me - I now have 578

...snip

http://www.sickhumor.dk/Epost/Jose/index.html

I forgot to explain one thing: "Morten Drikkepenge" reads "Morten Tip"
in English!!

Enjoy!

--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old July 28th 03, 02:32 PM
A.M.Heindorff

Toke Nørby wrote in message
"A.M.Heindorff" wrote:

Toke:
Mette, I collect and keep all the scam mails I receive, just for fun.
I have 576 at the moment - want to trade? :-)

..snip

Jamen Toke dog!!! :-) Yes, I do know that you "collect" them (!)
and will forward the said one to your collection. I meant to ask
you last night whether you wanted it or not, but in the end I was
so tired that I needed to close down ;-)

Mette, Please! I was just making fun and keep only the ones sent
directly to me - I now have 578

I know :-))))))) I would wish that you had 578 mill. US-dollars,
and not 578 mails ;-)

And that thing with Morten Drikkepenge (Morten Tip) is really
funny -- I couldn't stop chuckle for 1 hour :-)

Mette

Old July 28th 03, 05:06 PM
Doug Spade

Just got a better one! Seems a time traveler needs help fixing his
"dimensional warp generator" and is willing to pay platinum gold for the
parts.

Since he's pinpointed the precise longtitude and latitude for the delivery
point, I gotta run! He wants delivery in precisely 2 hours, 55 minutes.

Mike

Old July 28th 03, 06:14 PM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:22:49 +0200, "A.M.Heindorff"
wrote:

No, they are called "Werken bij de Lotto". They also tried their
luck with me about one year ago ;-)

They have come out of London as well. At least their scam points to
London and elsewhere GB. I have seen the Dutch ones as well.

what is funny, though, is when I reply asking more info - they don't
bounce and they don't follow up, of course.

They're trolling / harvesting something.

Tracy Barber
Old July 28th 03, 07:38 PM
David F.

Well, there is one rule for this...

Never, Never, NEVER send Bank Account or
Savings Account numbers in reply to requests
for personal details!

Can anyone explain how giving your bank sort code, account number, and
account name can lead to money being _extracted_ from your account?
All this is on any cheque you write.

A reason for asking is that my bank now has a *free* electronic
transfer facility by which I can pay anyone who gives me this
information. But I'm finding it almost impossible to get any eBay
seller to accept payment that way!

As to 413 scams from Holland, I think I've said before here that I had
a snail mail with real Dutch stamps and real Dutch 'phone numbers,
albeit the money to be laundered was in Sierra Leone. How they
expected to (managed to?) avoid being apprehended by the Dutch police,
I can't imagine.

Chris

Well, on it's own, the information is not too important.

When they 'pose' as you, after you tell them your Home
Address - that's when the fun starts!

Regards,

David.

Old July 28th 03, 11:01 PM
Shell91

"Chris Doran" wrote in message
om...
"David F." wrote in message

[...]

They also get your address, full name, bank account numbers, routing
numbers, account name, and social security number (identity numbers for
those in the EU?) if they can, then they pose as you and empty out your
accounts, ruin your credit, and steal your identity. Once that happens it's
close to impossible to straighten out the mess. A friend of mine went
through this simply because she was confused with someone who had the same
name and was the same age. This person caused my friend credit problems and
she had to go to court to prove she was not the same person. Fortunately it
was relatively easy since my friend is black abnd the girl the credit people
were looking for is white.

Shell

Old July 29th 03, 11:40 AM
Herb F.

I received one this week from the Philippines and one from Iraq. That
was a good one. They wanted me to help dispose of Saddam's gold.

I average about 3-4 a week, most from Africa. I got one from Lagos a few
days ago. The scam works many different ways. The most common is that
you put up "good faith" money to pay the bribes and bank charges that
will allow the 20 or 30 million dollars to be forwarded to your account.

The best variation I heard of is when one fellow actually met with the
scammers. They had a pile of money all covered with ink. They showed him
that this special solution dissolved the ink and made the money visible.
For $50,000 they could purchase 100 barrels (or whatever) of the
solution and clean up the entire 30 millions dollars. That guy fell for
it.

The government of Nigeria takes out a full page ad in the NY Times every
now and then to warn Americans about this racket. Smoke and mirrors.

Old July 29th 03, 03:10 PM
TC

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:06:22 GMT, Arlene Sullivan
wrote:

Yes, it is quite amazing that anyone falls for these scams, but a few
weeks ago there was a report in our newspaper about the huge amounts of
money that people are still losing because greed wins out over common
sense. Canadians have lost tens of millions of dollars to these
scamsters, and some have even been killed when they show up in Africa to
clain their "windfall".

And as long as people fall for the scams, there will be jerks out there
who take advantage of the poor sods, if not in Africa or Holland then
somewhere else.

PT Barnum was right, I'm afraid. There is a sucker born every minute.

Arlene Sulllivan

I have also received this scam from Sierra Leone, Liberia,
and even NEPAL.

Too bad it was email and not in an envelope with stamps.

Blair