Postal disruptions

Old July 26th 03, 05:13 PM
Bob Ingraham

Default Postal disruptions

An interesting web site, listing current postal "hot spots" that affect mail
delivery: http://www.wdsmail.com/hotspot.asp. It goes a long way to
explaining why your mail might get held up. Oddly, Iraq is not mentioned.

Bob

Old July 26th 03, 05:37 PM
J. A. Mc.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:13:42 GMT, Bob Ingraham
found these unused words floating about:

An interesting web site, listing current postal "hot spots" that affect mail
delivery: http://www.wdsmail.com/hotspot.asp. It goes a long way to
explaining why your mail might get held up. Oddly, Iraq is not mentioned.

That's because mail to Iraq (civilian) won't be 'held up' ... it'll
simply be quickly returned - "Undeliverable".
Old July 26th 03, 06:57 PM
Victor Manta

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
An interesting web site, listing current postal "hot spots" that affect

mail
delivery: http://www.wdsmail.com/hotspot.asp. It goes a long way to
explaining why your mail might get held up. Oddly, Iraq is not mentioned.

Bob

Very interesting indeed. Iraq isn't mentioned, but some other things are,
like:

"More than 30,000 postal workers are now preparing to go on strike again.
The London branch of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) has rejected as
'insulting' the recent pay offer from Royal Mail, which would give all
postal workers an average rise of 14.5 per cent over 18 months." It is for
the United Kingdom.

About 10% rise per year seems to be not so bad, especially when considering
the general economic recession, but I suppose that I have missed something.

Victor Manta

Old July 26th 03, 09:15 PM
Eric Bustad

J. A. Mc. wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:13:42 GMT, Bob Ingraham
found these unused words floating about:

An interesting web site, listing current postal "hot spots" that affect mail
delivery: http://www.wdsmail.com/hotspot.asp. It goes a long way to
explaining why your mail might get held up. Oddly, Iraq is not mentioned.

That's because mail to Iraq (civilian) won't be 'held up' ... it'll
simply be quickly returned - "Undeliverable".

Yet it says for Somalia: Still Valid: All mail service has been
suspended. Any mail received for this country will be returned.

= Eric

Old July 28th 03, 03:27 PM
TC

The following Postal services are currently suspended or partly
suspended by Canada Post.

The table below shows the countries to which full postal service is
not available.

COUNTRY AIR SERVICE Courier SURFACE SERVICE
Letter-Post Parcels Purolator Letters Parcels
Afghanistan Y Y N Y Y
Chad (resumed) Y Y Y Y Y
Cuba Y Y N Y Y
East Timor Y Y Y N N
Iran Y Y Y*** Y Y
Iraq N N N N N
Sierra Leone (resumed)Y Y Y Y Y
St Pierre & Miquelon Y Y N Y Y
Somalia N N Y N N
Yugoslavia Y Y* Y** Y Y*

Legend:
Y (yes service available)
N (no service available)

Notes:
*Insured parcel service is not available for items destined to Kosovo
or to Yugoslavia beginning with postcode 38.
** Purolator International service is not available to the area of
Serbia
*** Purolator International accepts document items only for Iran

Blair

Old July 30th 03, 12:06 AM
Albumen

A 14.5 per cent raise, less 50% taken out in taxes don't forget, would be a
7.25% increase. I think that inflation in England runs about 4-6% annually.
The raise is over 18 months, so best case would be about a 2% annual
increase, and worst case only about 1%.

-a

Old July 30th 03, 12:51 AM
David F.

A 14.5 per cent raise, less 50% taken out in taxes don't forget, would be a
7.25% increase. I think that inflation in England runs about 4-6% annually.
The raise is over 18 months, so best case would be about a 2% annual
increase, and worst case only about 1%.

-a

Yepp - GB Inflation is around 3% at the moment (officially), and the
Bank Base-Rate has just fallen 0.25%.

David.

Old July 30th 03, 01:38 AM
J. A. Mc.

Is this the new math?

A 14.5% raise is still a 14.5% net gain, if currently you are having
the same % of taxes taken out! It might be a couple points less if you
jump a 'bracket'.

If you 'earn' £200 and get £29 more and the gov't left you with £100
before, they'll leave you with £114.50 now! Even if you went to 52%
'bracket', you'd have a 9.92% increase.

Over 18 months this'd still be close to 6% at the -higher- bracket.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:06:19 -0700, "Albumen"

Old July 30th 03, 06:21 PM
David F.

Hmmm.... OK, but is E=MC^2 still valid?

Not sure, perhaps you'd care to make a personal test?

Soooo.... If I see a reply to this Email before I post it,
I know my Space Trip worked, even though I haven't
done it yet!

David.

Old July 31st 03, 08:07 PM
Victor Manta

"J. A. Mc." wrote in message
Is this the new math?

A 14.5% raise is still a 14.5% net gain, if currently you are having
the same % of taxes taken out! It might be a couple points less if you
jump a 'bracket'.

If you 'earn' £200 and get £29 more and the gov't left you with £100
before, they'll leave you with £114.50 now! Even if you went to 52%
'bracket', you'd have a 9.92% increase.

snip

QED, and therefore the offer wasn't sooo insulting. Vive les maths!

Victor Manta