Asian and China ID Please.

Old July 27th 03, 01:07 PM
Rodney

Default Asian and China ID Please.

The first is unknown.
The Gate of heavenly peace issues, I am suffering Catalogue blindness.

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=57

Thanks

Old July 27th 03, 08:49 PM
A.M.Heindorff

Rodney wrote in message
The first is unknown.
The Gate of heavenly peace issues, I am suffering Catalogue blindness.

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=57

Rodney, the 2000-value is Peoples Rep. of China 1950,
SG 1417. That might give you a clue to the 35000-value.
According to my Chinese colour catalogue both values
were issued 1950, but I cannot read the Chinese text,
and neither can I find the 35000-value in SG!

Still searching for the first unknown one.

Mette

Old July 28th 03, 07:48 AM
Dave Joll

Rodney wrote in message

The first is unknown.
The Gate of heavenly peace issues, I am suffering Catalogue blindness.
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=57

Hi Rodney

The first stamp is North Korea, SG N216.
The second stamp is North East China, SG NE278.
The third stamp is North East China, SG NE284.

- Dave
--
Check out Worldwide Stamp New Issues at
http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~jollian

Please send replies to New Zealand instead of Zanzibar.
Sorry, but the spam is just getting a little bit too much...

Old July 28th 03, 07:22 PM
A.M.Heindorff

wrote in message
.. .
Sorry Mette,
The stamp on the left has Hangul characters so it is Korean, probably
North Korean.
The two stamps on the right are Northeast Peoples Post. The 2000

stamp
could be a 1st (1950) or second printing (1950-51); the 35000 is from the
frist printing. No world cruise as they are not expensive stamps. My
information is from NC Yang "Postage Stamp catalogue of The Peoples

Republic
of China".

That's OK, Dave -- Hangul isn't my strongest side (!) but
certainly a fair reason why I couldn't find it immediately in
the catalogues ;-)

What the other two are concerned I have no comments;
I am sure that there are more knowledgeable people out
there than me in Early China ;-)

Mette

Old July 29th 03, 03:10 PM
TC

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:07:14 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

The first is unknown.
The Gate of heavenly peace issues, I am suffering Catalogue blindness.

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...oto&PhotoID=57

Thanks

Rodney:

Stamp #1 is from North Korea.
(Korean celebrities issue)

In 1959, North Korea adopted a new currency.
1 old Won = 1 Chon
100 Chon = 1 new Won.

Based on my old SG Simplified (1965) catalogue,
it is SG # NK 212 - 1 chon Grey on Green paper (1960)

It shows Kim, Chongho (geographer) mid-1800's

Used catalogue value was 3d at the time (minimum value?)

Kim, Chongho (?-1866) [the Practical learning movement]

In the early 17th Century, there arose a new movement
in Korean scholarly learning. Its aim was to set new
directions for the country which would aid the livelihood
of the people, new thinking called "Practical Learning" emerged

Scholars of the school of "on-the-spot survey" which was
one of the trends in Practical Learning believed that
people must achieve an academic understanding of the
realities and culture of their country.

They strove to conduct academic research concerning the country.

Yi Chong-hwi, Yu Tuk-kong, Han Ch'i-yun, and An Chong-bok
studied history, and Sin Kyong-chun, Yi Chung-hwan, and
Kim Chong-ho studied geography.

Chong Sang-ki and Kim Chong-ho drew maps of Korea, but
Kim Chong-ho is particularly well known for the creation
of a map known as the "Taedong yojido" (general atlas of Korea)
which was made through actual field studies and had
a variety of practical uses.

The Taedong yojido, dates back to 1861, it is the oldest
detailed map of Korea.
http://rki.kbs.co.kr/src/history/img...dongyojido.jpg

Through the scholarly activities of these and other
scholars throughout the 18th and 19th centuries,
many measures concerning government administration
and improvements in the welfare of the Korean people
were presented.

KIM, CHONG-HO (?-1866)
..
The greatest cartographer in Korean history, he was a strictly
self-made man. He studied cartography by himself from childhood.
Subsequently he spent 30 long years traveling from one end of the
country to the other surveying and making maps. In 1861 he completed
Taedong-yojido, the most accurate map of Korea up till then.
Understandably Kim was convinced that no government could administer a
country effectively without a good map. And it was precisely that
which he himself produced. He kept on working and in 1866 came out
with a monumental Taedong-jiji atlas publication (12 volumes, 32
books).
His nom de plume: Kosanja

I hope this is helpful.

Blair