FA: 1796 Draped Bust Quarter with comparison to AU-58 1796 quarter

Old March 3rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

Default FA: 1796 Draped Bust Quarter with comparison to AU-58 1796 quarter

Our nation's first quarter. Although only 6146 were minted, about 25
or so in AU or better were apparently put away as first year of issue.
The late Col. Green had accumulated many of this issue, the only
quarter with the small eagle reverse. The Mint resumed striking
quarters in 1804 with similar mintage to the 1796, but few were saved,
I also have a VF-35 1804 for auction on eBay as well. This was a
Baltimore show purchase and it's a nice one. Lots of detail for an EF.

Compared to the AU-58 I sold about 6 months ago, it's not as strong,
of course. Yet the AU-58 would sell today for at least $80,000, so
this one is for the budget minded .

it at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1796-Draped-Bust...mZ260216911053

Thanks. Comments invited.

Ira
Old March 3rd 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Ira" wrote in message
Our nation's first quarter. Although only 6146 were minted, about 25
or so in AU or better were apparently put away as first year of issue.
The late Col. Green had accumulated many of this issue, the only
quarter with the small eagle reverse. The Mint resumed striking
quarters in 1804 with similar mintage to the 1796, but few were saved,
I also have a VF-35 1804 for auction on eBay as well. This was a
Baltimore show purchase and it's a nice one. Lots of detail for an EF.

Compared to the AU-58 I sold about 6 months ago, it's not as strong,
of course. Yet the AU-58 would sell today for at least $80,000, so
this one is for the budget minded .

it at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1796-Draped-Bust...mZ260216911053

Thanks. Comments invited.

For the budget minded? I must be in the wrong group. But nothing like
being able to criticize a 50 grand coin. Looks almost artificial and like
it was cleaned or brushed on the obverse. There. Now back to my VF large
cents. I could put a real nice 1816-1957 set together for that money.

Bruce

Old March 3rd 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Ira" wrote in message
Our nation's first quarter. Although only 6146 were minted, about 25
or so in AU or better were apparently put away as first year of issue.
The late Col. Green had accumulated many of this issue, the only
quarter with the small eagle reverse. The Mint resumed striking
quarters in 1804 with similar mintage to the 1796, but few were saved,
I also have a VF-35 1804 for auction on eBay as well. This was a
Baltimore show purchase and it's a nice one. Lots of detail for an EF.

Compared to the AU-58 I sold about 6 months ago, it's not as strong,
of course. Yet the AU-58 would sell today for at least $80,000, so
this one is for the budget minded .

it at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1796-Draped-Bust...mZ260216911053

Thanks. Comments invited.

My wife found me on the floor in front of my computer monitor, which was
showing this coin. My tongue was hanging out, my hands were trembling, and
I was breathing heavily and mumbling what she said sounded like, "Must have,
must have, must have..."

James
'but I'm OK now'

Old March 3rd 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 22:38:43 -0500, Bruce Remick wrote:

For the budget minded? I must be in the wrong group. But nothing like
being able to criticize a 50 grand coin. Looks almost artificial and like
it was cleaned or brushed on the obverse. There. Now back to my VF large
cents. I could put a real nice 1816-1957 set together for that money.

^^

Some of those later large cents are pretty tough to find, Bruce.

Old March 3rd 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
1787[_2_]

"Ira" wrote in message
[...]

Wow. Both of those coins have incredible old cabinet patinas. That's what
toning is all about.

W.

Old March 3rd 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Ira" wrote in message
Our nation's first quarter. Although only 6146 were minted, about 25
or so in AU or better were apparently put away as first year of issue.
The late Col. Green had accumulated many of this issue, the only
quarter with the small eagle reverse. The Mint resumed striking
quarters in 1804 with similar mintage to the 1796, but few were saved,
I also have a VF-35 1804 for auction on eBay as well. This was a
Baltimore show purchase and it's a nice one. Lots of detail for an EF.

Compared to the AU-58 I sold about 6 months ago, it's not as strong,
of course. Yet the AU-58 would sell today for at least $80,000, so
this one is for the budget minded .

it at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1796-Draped-Bust...mZ260216911053

Thanks. Comments invited.

Ira

Yet again your coin looks to be pictured in monochrome, I don't get this
effect with any other ebay seller.

The PCGS label is the only bit of colour that I can see.

The AU58 is in glorious colour. Billy

Old March 3rd 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

http://cgi.ebay.com/1796-Draped-Bust...-PQ-RARE_W0QQi...

Thanks. Comments invited.

Ira

Yet again your coin looks to be pictured in monochrome, I don't get this
effect with any other ebay seller.

The PCGS label is the only bit of colour that I can see.

The AU58 is in glorious colour. *Billy

Billy,

The coin is toned a dark blue over dark charcoal. I don't do anything
to enhance the color or increase saturation in the images. The fact
that your monitor can't discern fine nuances of color speaks to the
fact that either your monitor needs calibration or replacement. My
suggestion, get a new one Billy and not the cheapest you can find.
They are not particularly expensive anymore and you'll be a happier
camper.

Ira
Old March 3rd 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Mar 3, 7:14*am, Ira wrote:
On Mar 3, 6:05*am, "note.boy" wrote:

"Ira" wrote in message

[...]

FWIW I can't see anything but monochrome on my iPhone of that EF-45
quarter even though my large calibrated Monroe does showbthw bluish
cast. So rejoice! You are NOT losing your vision.

Ira
Old March 3rd 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 22:38:43 -0500, Bruce Remick wrote:

For the budget minded? I must be in the wrong group. But nothing like
being able to criticize a 50 grand coin. Looks almost artificial and
like
it was cleaned or brushed on the obverse. There. Now back to my VF
large
cents. I could put a real nice 1816-1957 set together for that money.

^^

Some of those later large cents are pretty tough to find, Bruce.

I've got most of the major varieties. The difficult part is finding
pleasing raw VF+ examples. Now if I had a spare 50 grand..............

Old March 3rd 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 2, 10:12*pm, Ira wrote:

Thanks. Comments invited.

Weak reverse, enough wear so that it's not even close to being AU as
you claim.
If anything it's closer to VF than to AU.
Why, oh why, do you imagine that every TPG coin you buy is
undergraded?