Edinburgh Auction.

Old August 13th 05, 09:52 PM
note.boy

Default Edinburgh Auction.

No sign of the printed catalogue yet but the online version is
available.

http://www.spink.com/asp/cataloguesearch.asp?t=415409&

I've had a look starting at lot one and from the illustrations the sad
pattern of the Austin and Pringle auctions is being repeated, many of
the notes look pressed and/or cleaned. I don't know "Mr McIntyre" but I
do know Mr Macmillan and so far the "McIntyre" notes are the suspicious
ones. The true identity of "Mr McIntyre" is known but I can't post that
information here.

Have a look, what do you think?

The viewing is on the Sunday before the auction so I'll know for sure
then. Billy

Old August 14th 05, 01:32 AM
Scottishmoney

I am not sure where you saw nicer pictures of the notes, the link I went
through had only lousy pictures of the notes.

So far I have only viewed up through Caledonian Banking Co, but will have a
look at the rest of them later. Interesting that in many ways as you note
this collection mirrors the Pringle Collection auctioned back in 2002

Old August 14th 05, 02:43 PM
note.boy

If you click on the small pic you will get a larger version, clear enough to
see that some notes are strangely flat, even the dirty ones, and some seem a
bit bright for old paper that should tone over time.

I will, as usual, be sniffing them for signs of Persil or Bold, they are
washing powders. Billy

Old August 14th 05, 04:56 PM
note.boy

Have a look at this one,

http://www.spink.com/asp/fullCatalog...5845&saletype=

It was rejoined by the ladies at Dundee University and what a fine job they
have done.

This one looks unnaturally flat to me,

http://www.spink.com/asp/fullCatalog...2874&saletype=

So does this one in "good very fine",

http://www.spink.com/asp/fullCatalog...2792&saletype=

At this auction "good very fine" may mean "Billy won't bid".

Too many square pound notes, and higher denominations from the same time
period, are "good very fine", why are there so few at lesser grades? I feel
that come viewing time I will be in for a big disappointment with few notes in
original condition that I will be bidding on. Billy

Old August 14th 05, 05:47 PM
Scottishmoney

"note.boy" wrote in message
If you click on the small pic you will get a larger version, clear enough
see that some notes are strangely flat, even the dirty ones, and some seem
bit bright for old paper that should tone over time.

I will, as usual, be sniffing them for signs of Persil or Bold, they are
washing powders. Billy

From what I have seen, previously I looked on the PDF files, which was why I
saw the lousy pictures, many of the notes are "professionally repaired" or
show signs of having been washed. I wonder if this was by the previous
owner or if they purchased them this way?

Old August 14th 05, 06:06 PM
Scottishmoney

"note.boy" wrote in message

I only got up through the start of the BoS notes, I also looked at the
Caledonians, but it does appear as though a rather discomforting majority of
these notes have been messed with.

Old August 14th 05, 08:20 PM
note.boy

Scottishmoney wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message
If you click on the small pic you will get a larger version, clear enough
see that some notes are strangely flat, even the dirty ones, and some seem
bit bright for old paper that should tone over time.

I will, as usual, be sniffing them for signs of Persil or Bold, they are
washing powders. Billy

From what I have seen, previously I looked on the PDF files, which was why I
saw the lousy pictures, many of the notes are "professionally repaired" or
show signs of having been washed. I wonder if this was by the previous
owner or if they purchased them this way?

The Macmillan notes are mostly proofs so they will not have been treated, the
"McIntyre" notes are mostly or all issued notes, many of which are old, once I
get the printed catalogue I'll compare them to notes sold at the Austin and
Pringle auctions as some may have come from there, if they did they were
probably treated when bought.

That's the great thing about banknotes, as they have serial numbers their
history can be traced.

I wonder if the grade of individual notes has improved over time? Billy

Old August 14th 05, 08:24 PM
note.boy

Scottishmoney wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message

I only got up through the start of the BoS notes, I also looked at the
Caledonians, but it does appear as though a rather discomforting majority of
these notes have been messed with.

I fear that I have to agree with you and it will probably be confirmed at the
viewing.

If I don't buy anything I may have to take my wife away on holiday after all, I
knew that I should have kept the selling of the Scottish token by Spink secret
from her, I got the cheque last week. Billy

Old August 14th 05, 10:44 PM
Scottishmoney

"note.boy" wrote in message
I wonder if the grade of individual notes has improved over time? Billy

Yeah if you know who in Glasgow gets them they will be bleached white.

Old August 16th 05, 10:41 AM
note.boy

Scottishmoney wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message

I only got up through the start of the BoS notes, I also looked at the
Caledonians, but it does appear as though a rather discomforting majority of
these notes have been messed with.

The printed catalogue has arrived, McIntyre notes have the lot number in green,
Macmillan lot numbers are purple and other properties are black, I've not seen
Spink do this before, I find it difficult to differentiate between the purple
and black however.

Provenances are given for some lots, "ex Pringle" etc. so that is useful for
checking the cost then and the grade then also. Billy