What the phuck?

Old February 2nd 05, 12:06 PM
JJ

Default What the phuck?

I don't know how anyone can stand to watch the Coin Vault since they
sapped the charm out of it, but I stopped in for a few minutes just in
time to catch a rather interesting disparity.

The Chambers maids claim to have sold eight complete 86 to 04 runs of
SAE's in MS70 at $33,000 (2 at $35,000).

Last night, they were offering complete 86 to 05 runs of Proof
ultra-cameo SAE's in PF70 for $15,999.95?

I don't get it. Why half the retail?

I thought the proofs were far more desirable. I mean, in my book, both
prices are thoroughly absurd, but I'd say someone now has the names of
8 certified idiots!

Of course, they deserve the punishment for allowing themselves to fall
prey to this racket, but as most of us already knew, they were never
investments to begin with.

Oh, and don't forget to tune in on Saturday where Mutt and Jeff are
planning to dazzle viewers with sales pitches that would better serve
that of a three ring circus.

Old February 2nd 05, 12:46 PM
Seanie The Grik-Slapper !

Crazy aintit

Cheers JJ

Old February 2nd 05, 01:42 PM
Wes Chormicle

Speaking of the coin vault....

A guy comes into the shop with a green mint box of 2005 SAE's that he needs
to sell. He is willing to not make any money and let them go for what he
paid for them, $9000 from the Coin Vault. I politely pointed out the
chalkboard where we sell the same box for $4300......

He was not pleased with Mr. Chambers...

---

Old February 2nd 05, 03:11 PM
Wes Chormicle

He realized he'd been had. Had I not had the sign posted about selling them
for $4300/box, he probably would have thought I was trying to "steal" them
from him. After a few minutes he came to the conclusion that we were the
good guys and Mr. Chambers was the crook.

Bottom line he decided to call and see what the Coin Vault pays for them.

Wes

Old February 2nd 05, 10:20 PM
Alan Williams

Wes Chormicle wrote:

Speaking of the coin vault....

A guy comes into the shop with a green mint box of 2005 SAE's that he needs
to sell. He is willing to not make any money and let them go for what he
paid for them, $9000 from the Coin Vault. I politely pointed out the
chalkboard where we sell the same box for $4300......

He was not pleased with Mr. Chambers...

Typical. He should be more displeased with himself for not
price-checking a $9,000 purchase but instead impulsively responding to a
TV offer. ;-/

Alan
'does buy KaBoom'
Old February 2nd 05, 11:45 PM
Michael Benveniste

On 2 Feb 2005 04:06:22 -0800, "JJ" wrote:

The Chambers maids claim to have sold eight complete 86 to 04 runs of
SAE's in MS70 at $33,000 (2 at $35,000).

Last night, they were offering complete 86 to 05 runs of Proof
ultra-cameo SAE's in PF70 for $15,999.95?

I don't get it. Why half the retail?

I thought the proofs were far more desirable. I mean, in my book, both
prices are thoroughly absurd, but I'd say someone now has the names of
8 certified idiots!

Two words -- Registry Sets. Whether buying into the registry
set game makes one a certified idiot is left as an exercise
for the reader.

I don't want to be put in the position of defending the Coin
Vault, but NGC or PCGS certified MS70 SAE's are scarcer than
PR70's. To pick a date at random, for 2000 NGC has certified
132 MS70 (including Millenium sets) and 1583 PR70UC.

OTOH, they certified 29939 MS69 and 6622 PR69UC.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old February 2nd 05, 11:59 PM
Alan Williams

Michael Benveniste wrote:

[...]

Leaving, I wonder, how many unsubmitted? ;-)

Rare? Yeah, I guess. I know I'm in no danger of paying someone to tell
me that the SAE's I own are wonderful. I can see that they are. As far
as paying $33,000 for a 'perfect' graded set of bullion pieces...there's
a greater chance that I will create cold fusion in my sleep. ;-)

Alan
'do not hold your breath'
Old February 3rd 05, 12:18 AM
Alan Williams

Michael Benveniste wrote:

On 2 Feb 2005 04:06:22 -0800, "JJ" wrote:

The Chambers maids claim to have sold eight complete 86 to 04 runs of
SAE's in MS70 at $33,000 (2 at $35,000).

Last night, they were offering complete 86 to 05 runs of Proof
ultra-cameo SAE's in PF70 for $15,999.95?

I don't get it. Why half the retail?

I thought the proofs were far more desirable. I mean, in my book, both
prices are thoroughly absurd, but I'd say someone now has the names of
8 certified idiots!

Two words -- Registry Sets. Whether buying into the registry
set game makes one a certified idiot is left as an exercise
for the reader.

And I took it as such. ;-) I do not believe that certifying 132 MS 70's
(even out of 100,000 submissions, which frankly I doubt!) makes a rarity
in a run of 9,000,000. Even less so with PR-70's, where half a million
get made, and honestly, I'd send back to the mint for exchange anything
that seemed less than perfect to me!

I don't want to be put in the position of defending the Coin
Vault, but NGC or PCGS certified MS70 SAE's are scarcer than
PR70's. To pick a date at random, for 2000 NGC has certified
132 MS70 (including Millenium sets) and 1583 PR70UC.

OTOH, they certified 29939 MS69 and 6622 PR69UC.

Appreciate your sharing of the numbers, Michael. I swear, I love this
hobby, but I do not understand the industry of numismatics! Or the
mindset and lack of fiscal responsibility that leads someone to blow
$30,000 on a set of modern 'condition rarities', only the slightest
fraction of which are submitted for a third party appraisal. I am
completely at sea when I contemplate that as a 'collecting strategy'.

Alan
'but what do I know?'
Old February 3rd 05, 12:20 AM
Banknote Addict

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in
ink.net:

Speaking of the coin vault....

A guy comes into the shop with a green mint box of 2005 SAE's that he
needs to sell. He is willing to not make any money and let them go
for what he paid for them, $9000 from the Coin Vault. I politely
pointed out the chalkboard where we sell the same box for $4300......

He was not pleased with Mr. Chambers...

Man, I HATE hearing stories like this. A lot of people have illnesses that
cause them to act impulsively and do things like pick up the phone and buy.
I think most wives have it...(I'm kidding!) It's just too bad there's so
many companies out there that count on this and take advantage of these
poor people. I hope this guy wasn't an old-timer. I hate that even more!