Value of Stamps?

Old July 24th 15, 07:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Default Value of Stamps?

Value of Stamps?
----------------
Greetings,

I'm a newbie, have read the FAQ, and have two questions for you experts
about the value of some stamps I have.

I'm asking here because years ago I was badly cheated by a stamp buyer
who paid me $150 for a sheet of 100 misprinted 50-cent stamps - and then
he sold them for $1,500 (!) to a collector.

Are the following stamps worth just the 29-cent face value or more?

All are plate blocks (?) in mint condition. All are 29-cent stamps:

1x "Country & Western" - 20 stamps/plate

3x "Popular Singers" - 20 stamps/plate

2x "Jazz Singers/Blues Singers" - 35 stamps/plate

1x "Elvis" - 40 stamps/plate. The left upper stamp has a red
Post Office stamp on the left side.

1x "1944: Road to Victory" - 20 stamps/plate plus two large maps
(3 by 8 inches) in the center.

-----------

I also have one "U.S.INTER.REV. - PROPRIETARY" - four cents. It has two
small white spots (1 mm). This stamp can be seen here (124K .jpg):

http://aman.members.sonic.net/stamp.jpg

How much would that stamp be worth?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Rey Aman
Santa Rosa, Calif., USA

Old July 24th 15, 11:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 2:20:12 AM UTC-4, Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
Value of Stamps?
----------------
[...]

Rey--I don't specialize in U.S. revenues, so I'll leave that question to others. But almost all U.S. stamps issued since 1934 (or thereabouts) were printed in such large quantities that supply far exceeds demand. With rare exceptions--perhaps a few dozen--they are worth no more than face value, even as plate blocks, full sheets, etc.

Stan
Old July 29th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Thouin[_2_]

Le 2015-07-27 00:10, Reinhold {Rey} Aman a écrit :
wrote:

On Friday, July 24, 2015 ... Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:

Value of Stamps?

[snip]

Rey--I don't specialize in U.S. revenues, so I'll leave that
question to others. But almost all U.S. stamps issued since 1934
(or thereabouts) were printed in such large quantities that supply
far exceeds demand. With rare exceptions--perhaps a few dozen--
they are worth no more than face value, even as plate blocks,
full sheets, etc.

Stan

Thank you very much for your information, Stan.

I'm still hoping other posters will reply.

Hello

You are hoping for other answers. I expect that means more positive
answers.

To the contrary, I would qualify Stan's answer by saying that the stamps
are worth face value only to the ultimate user who will put them on his
outgoing mail. If you have any quantity of stamps it will take a long
time before you use them all. If you try and sell them either to a
wholesaler or to a large user, you will find that it is difficult to get
more than 50 - 60% of face value depending on the face value of each
stamp. You won't get 50% for 4¢ stamps, but you might get a bit over
50% for 40¢ stamps.

Richard
Old July 30th 15, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Reinhold {Rey} Aman

wrote:
On Friday, July 24, 2015 ... Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:

Value of Stamps?

[snip]

Rey--I don't specialize in U.S. revenues, so I'll leave that
question to others. But almost all U.S. stamps issued since 1934
(or thereabouts) were printed in such large quantities that supply
far exceeds demand. With rare exceptions--perhaps a few dozen--
they are worth no more than face value, even as plate blocks,
full sheets, etc.

Stan

Thank you very much for your information, Stan.

I'm still hoping other posters will reply.

Hello

You are hoping for other answers. I expect that means more positive
answers.

Bonjour, Richard,

Well, I trust Stan's and your information 100% that all my 29-cent
stamps are worth only 29 cents. What I was hoping for was more info
about this rare old stamp (ca. 1850?):

"U.S.INTER.REV. - PROPRIETARY" - four cents. It has two small white
spots (1 mm). This stamp can be seen here (124K .jpg):

http://aman.members.sonic.net/stamp.jpg

On the Web, I have seen such "U.S.INTER.REV. - PROPRIETARY" stamps sold
for $300 to $3,000 and one auctioned off for about $30,000! Thus I'm
curious whether mine is worth *something*.

To the contrary, I would qualify Stan's answer by saying that the
stamps are worth face value only to the ultimate user who will put
them on his outgoing mail.

Of course. That's what I'm doing now, adding to the 29-cent a 20-cent
stamp for the 1-ounce letter costing currently 49 cents postage.

If you have any quantity of stamps it will take a long time
before you use them all.

Right, it'll take several years.

If you try and sell them either to a wholesaler or to a large user,
you will find that it is difficult to get more than 50 - 60% of face
value depending on the face value of each stamp.

No, I wouldn't be that stupid and throw away some $35 by selling them to
a wholesaler (Their motto: "Buy low, sell high.").

You won't get 50% for 4¢ stamps, but you might get a bit over
50% for 40¢ stamps.

I have only one old 4-cent stamp (see above). I can't even use it for
postage, as it's a "U.S.INTER.REV. - PROPRIETARY" stamp.

Thank you for your information, or as they say in French,

« Merci mille fois pour votre information ! »

Rey Aman
Santa Rosa, CA 95402, USA
Old July 30th 15, 03:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

Well, I trust Stan's and your information 100% that all my 29-cent
stamps are worth only 29 cents. What I was hoping for was more info
about this rare old stamp (ca. 1850?):

"U.S.INTER.REV. - PROPRIETARY" - four cents. It has two small white
spots (1 mm). This stamp can be seen here (124K .jpg):

http://aman.members.sonic.net/stamp.jpg

On the Web, I have seen such "U.S.INTER.REV. - PROPRIETARY" stamps sold
for $300 to $3,000 and one auctioned off for about $30,000! Thus I'm
curious whether mine is worth *something*.

You'd need a current Scott catalogue, then check on the RB4 stamp for
pricing.

I'd carefully vcheck the 'white spots' as they look more like surface
scrapes then printing flaws.

The 1871-74 series in 1995 priced out from US$4 to US$27,500.

I haven't collected US since they started with the huge number of
issues and created 'errors'.

Stay with the 'earlies'. They're always in demand and the supply is
limited for quality items.
Old July 30th 15, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rich Daugherty

Sir F.A. Rien wrote:

Well, I trust Stan's and your information 100% that all my 29-cent
stamps are worth only 29 cents. What I was hoping for was more info
about this rare old stamp (ca. 1850?):

"U.S.INTER.REV. - PROPRIETARY" - four cents. It has two small white
spots (1 mm). This stamp can be seen here (124K .jpg):

http://aman.members.sonic.net/stamp.jpg

On the Web, I have seen such "U.S.INTER.REV. - PROPRIETARY" stamps sold
for $300 to $3,000 and one auctioned off for about $30,000! Thus I'm
curious whether mine is worth *something*.

You'd need a current Scott catalogue, then check on the RB4 stamp for
pricing.

Just wanted to confirm that it does appear to be Scott catalogue
number RB4.

Another option instead of checking a current Scott catalogue is to see
what it is available for at a dealer's site. For example, Eric Jackson
( http://www.ericjackson.com/ ) has copies available for sale from
$12.50 to $21.00.

Old July 31st 15, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

Whatever ... as I had hoped I cleary said:

I haven't collected US since they started with the huge number of
issues and created 'errors'.

My only reason to go to the effort was that you asked again for help.
Had you said you thought it was RB4 ... !
I should just stay with helping the GB people ...
Old July 31st 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Reinhold {Rey} Aman

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote:

I'd carefully vcheck the 'white spots' as they look more like
surface scrapes then printing flaws.

Yes, they seem to have been peeled off the surface after the stamp
was stuck on the facing page in the dictionary where I found the stamp.

The 1871-74 series in 1995 priced out from US$4 to US$27,500.

That was a nice dream ...

Stay with the 'earlies'. They're always in demand and the supply
is limited for quality items.

Thank you much for your useful information.

--
Rey
Old July 31st 15, 11:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Rich Daugherty wrote:

Just wanted to confirm that it does appear to be Scott catalogue
number RB4.

Another option instead of checking a current Scott catalogue is to
see what it is available for at a dealer's site. For example, Eric
Jackson ( http://www.ericjackson.com/ ) has copies available for
sale from $12.50 to $21.00.

Thank you very much, Rich, for going out of your way to provide the
exact information I needed.

I would never have found that above terrific website.

Since my stamp is damaged (white spots), it's probably worthless and I
can give it away.

This ends our discussion about this topic. I want to thank again Stan,
Richard, Sir F.A. Rien, and especially you, Rich.

--
Rey