Trillion Dollar Coin

Old January 11th 13, 07:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Default Trillion Dollar Coin

Jerry Dennis wrote:

On Jan 10, 6:02 pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 9:56 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in ...
oly wrote:

On Jan 5, 10:11 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message

No link to this rumor, but it was on TV on The Five last night, and
Huffington Post ran a blurb on its web site. Seems the feds are
seriously considering issuing a platinum coin worth a trillion dollars
to avoid the debt ceiling.

I did a little math on the deal using the current $100 Platinum Eagle
as a base. Using the ratios for 1 oz. PAEs, it would take 10 billion
troy oz., or just over 342,857.142 86 tons (US), for a single trillion
dollar eagle.

Kind of makes the 2007 Canadian $1,000,000 Maple Leaf (100 kg) and the
2012 Austrailian $1,000,000 Kangaroo (1000 kg) seem like chump change.

Jerry
----------

Would it actually be money if it isn't intended for circulation? I'm
thinking of those 1933 Saints here. If so, what would that really
accomplish? I'm sure there probably were a bunch of legal experts
involved
if the govt ever seriously considered it. Could it be legally "worth"
trillion if it simply said so on it with a Congressional blessing? Or
would
it require a trillion worth of platinum? Sadly, this government
seems
be reduced to weirdness rather than common sense to reduce our debt.

I think the idea (which is just an accounting trick) would be to take
a simple one ounce platinum blank and stamp it "one trillion
dollars".

There is no need to attempt to make the intrinsic value of such a coin
anywhere close to its "face". The Traesury Secretary would have the
very few of these coins which were required to be made up sent to some
vault in New York City or Washington D.C.

Congressional approval probably doesn't mean squat.

But there is simply no point to minting such a coin; the Federal
Reserve Bank effectively does this every day with their computers and
gee, they don't do a sum of one trillion dollars more than two or
three times per year.

In Weimar Germany in 1922-23, they didn't use any more paper to print
a million mark note than they did to print the Imperial pre-war one
hundred mark note (indeed they used a smaller price of paper).

Wrap your head around this thought: "Money" means nothing anymore.
Work, careers, business skills, effort means nothing anymore. The
money cheaters can create more "money" in a computer keystroke than
you or I could "earn" by ten thousand lifetimes of "work".

oly

I agree!

So what are we going to do about the millionaires and billionaires and
their
tools that
are trashing our economy and threatening our freedom?

JAM
--------

I say let's vote them out of Congress!!- Hide quoted text -

I think that the old comic strip "Pogo" (Walt Kelly) quote went
something like "We have met the enemy and it is us" and that it
applies here.

Lots and lots of people get more from "the System" than they ever put
in. My poor old paternal grandparents clearly did towards the end of
their lives. My parents did too (but they were very successful and
they did put in quite a lot first, up-front). I am now angling to
game "the System" for myself. Being personally honest about what you
tell yourself about yourself is still rather important. Sauve qui
peut, baayy-beeee.

oly
-------

For every person who is fortunate and healthy enough to "game the system",
there are two or three who pass away well before recouping what they put in.
On the other hand, there are some who work for a only couple years but incur
a disability and then collect for the rest of their lives. I'd prefer to
stay healthy and take my chances. Good luck to you as you enter a new phase
of you life.

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

And if I'm being ****y, I'll take issue with your demographics and
return of retirement contributions. Most people who have been
presently been retired for two decades got their own contributions
back within three years or less. Presently, more recent retirees are
looking at five to seven years before they start playing on the
house's money. There are NOT two or three people dying early for
every one that actually reaches retirement age. NOT the case at all.
If that was true, the crap debt would not be piling up the way it is.

Maybe Timmy should mint about a dozen of them trillion dollar
platinums.

oly

Social Security does not contribute to the national debt.

JAM- Hide quoted text -

Actually, it does. FICA taxes are collected. The tax money is then
used to purchase Treasury Bonds. Treasury Bonds are, in reality,
IOU's to Social Security. The taxes used to purchase the Treasury
Bonds are then deposited into the General Fund, which Congress loves
because they get to spend it, thus adding to the national debt. The
Social Security Act is one of the biggest Ponzi schemes ever
perpetrated on the American people.

Jerry

Where did you get this information, fox?

Your statement that SS is a Ponzi scheme is bull**** and proves your lack of knowledge on
the subject.

JAM
Old January 11th 13, 07:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

oly wrote:

On Jan 10, 5:02 pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 9:56 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in ...
oly wrote:

[...]

Yes, Social Security does indeed add to the debt, but it would be easy
to afford if the war spending of the last decade had never taken
place.

Yes, Social Security does indeed add to the debt, but it would be easy
to afford if the bank bailouts of the last five years had never taken
place.

oly

The only way SS adds to the debt is that the our government has been borrowing money from
the SS fund.

JAM
Old January 11th 13, 07:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

oly wrote:

On Jan 11, 8:24 am, oly wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:02 pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:

oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 9:56 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in ...
oly wrote:

[...]

oly- Hide quoted text -

My, the Universe is being timely with the blogs right now:

http://brucekrasting.com/gettin-ugly/

Social Security is part of the problem, just not a big part. Other
problems are much more important, in both dollar amounts and the
underwriting of moral hazard.

oly

So you are taking your cues from one of the people that want to raid SS as play with OUR
MONEY on Wall Street?

JAM
Old January 11th 13, 07:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

bremick wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message ...

oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in ...
oly wrote:

[...]

"worth" a
[...]

The people that are getting more from "the System" than they ever put in are
the
millionaires and billionaires and their tools that are trashing our economy
and
threatening our freedom.

JAM
----------

Some of my best friends are millionaires and billionaires. I often ask to
borrow some of their great tools. As far as I know, none has ever
threatened to trash our economy or threaten our freedom or eat our children.
Where do YOU live and what channel are you watching?

This is america, if you cannot afford to buy a politician then you do not deserve to be
represented.

Investing in a politician can provide you with dividends far in excess of any other
investment.

JAM
Old January 12th 13, 01:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jan 11, 1:34*pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
Jerry Dennis wrote:

On Jan 10, 6:02 pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 9:56 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"oly" *wrote in message

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" *wrote in ...
oly wrote:

[...]

Easy, Frank. I'm not going to get into a ****ing contest with you.
Everything I mentioned is on the Social Security Administration's web
site. www.ssa.gov. The deductions of that information is my own, and
blatantly obvious. If there really was a fund, as you mentioned to
oly, and there was no way for Congress to get its greedy hands on it,
Social Security would still be viable.

Jerry

Old January 12th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

bremick wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message ...

oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in
oly wrote:

[...]

------------

Boy! I hope you don't have children that pay attention to you.

Old January 12th 13, 09:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jan 11, 12:35*pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
oly wrote:

On Jan 10, 5:02 pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 9:56 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"oly" *wrote in message

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" *wrote in ...
oly wrote:

[...]

The sign of a really really really good Ponzi scheme is that its
victims will defend it to the death - the death of the scheme, or the
death of the victim, whichever comes first.

oly
Old January 13th 13, 12:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

wrote:
oly wrote:

On Jan 10, 5:02 pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 9:56 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in ...
oly wrote:

[...]

They myth that SS is a Ponzi scheme has been proven false many times.

Look it up, or continue taking your cues from the people that have you
bamboozled.

JAM
Old January 13th 13, 12:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

bremick wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message ...

oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in ...
oly wrote:

[...]

bull****.

JAM
Old January 13th 13, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

bremick wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message ...

oly wrote:

On Jan 8, 8:17 pm, "bremick" wrote:
"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in
oly wrote:

[...]

I hope you and yours begin to pay attention someday, before it's to
late.

JAM