In search of a decent PEELABLE hinge

Old November 20th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Roy[_2_]

Default In search of a decent PEELABLE hinge

Anybody have any suggestions? I am looking for something as good as the old
Dennison hinges.

Thanks,
Roy
Old November 21st 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
viktor

On Nov 20, 3:53*pm, Roy wrote:
Anybody have any suggestions? *I am looking for something as good as the old
Dennison hinges.

Thanks,
Roy

You can still find Dennison hinges on ebay. They sell for 10-15
dollars per package
of 1000.

Viktor
Old November 21st 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
KenK

Roy wrote in
:

Anybody have any suggestions? I am looking for something as good as
the old Dennison hinges.

Thanks,
Roy

I've had fairly good luck with two, but my supply is very old - I've not
worked on stamps for many many years until recently.

A blue not very strong hinge made by Western Stamp and Coil Supply
Company. I don't remember where I got these.

Another called Dennis's (not Dennison!) hinges. The package says

G&K Hobby Supplies
2121 Beale Ave.
Altoona PA 16601.

I think I _may_ have bought these at Subway Stamps.

Old November 27th 10, 09:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Nov 21, 10:11*am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
viktor found these unused words:

On Nov 20, 3:53*pm, Roy wrote:
Anybody have any suggestions? *I am looking for something as good as the old
Dennison hinges.

They don't exist. Sorry. The reason is related to this:

They're NOT the same! A company [subway stamps] bought the machine and name
and began to *manufacture. Not sure if the latter batches were as good, many
comments said they were not.

When G&K bought the machine, they dreamed of remaking the old
Dennison's hinge that we all loved. They finally got the formula on
the gum, and: it's a horse product. Surprise! If I recall correctly,
it was the US Food and Drug Administration that banned the adhesive,
because it would likely be coming in contact with the human tongue,
and wasn't considered safe enough by government standards. If you
have some spare horses, maybe you could make your own? ;-)

You can still find Dennison hinges on ebay. They sell for 10-15
dollars per package
of 1000.

That's correct. For historical perspectives, they tripled in price
between the early '70s and late '80s, and now the price is around 40
TIMES the 1970s price.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old November 27th 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Nov 27, 3:21*am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"Joshua McGee" wrote in message

That's correct. *For historical perspectives, they tripled in price
between the early '70s and late '80s, and now the price is around 40
TIMES the 1970s price.

Forget the stamps, invest in hinges !

Ha! :-D

Old March 14th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Mycroft

Old Dennisons (with an "o") are the real deal and sell for a bundle. Subway's Denissen hinges (with an "e" are less wonderful (he said politely).
There are also old Universal hinges that I rate as good as Dennisons and which typically sell for about half the price.
As far as I can figure, no hinge made since about 1980 is worth having.

It is a filthy commie plot on the part of Showgard etc to make us use their mounts - excuse me - the nurse wants to give me my injection now.

Cheers - John Mycroft

Old March 18th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Roy[_2_]

Do collectors in Europe, China, Russia et. al. also have problems obtaining
decent hinges? I'd be willing to help boost the global economy to obtain some
actually peelable hinges of new manufacture.

Regards,
Roy

On 11/20/2010 3:53 PM, Roy wrote:

Anybody have any suggestions? I am looking for something as good as the old
Dennison hinges.

Thanks,
Roy

Whatever happened to peelable stamp hinges? Colin McKenzie General Discussion 13 November 5th 10 03:44 AM
Removing brown hinge marks John Mycroft General Discussion 6 November 26th 07 09:48 PM
Outer hinge repair Carney Wilde Books 1 July 31st 05 10:40 PM
WTB - Dome hinge for Cont 2 Shaun Juke Boxes 1 December 22nd 03 03:57 PM
Hinge Question John Mycroft General Discussion 3 August 12th 03 01:04 AM