Fisher, Sensa refills: quality issues

Old April 15th 04, 03:55 PM
Jeff

Default Fisher, Sensa refills: quality issues

I've tried several medium Fisher Space Pen black refills in my bullet
pen (not a knock-off, I have the genuine article) but as much as I
love the feel of the pen (in my hand), its looks and the way it slips
into my front pocket, it keeps ending up back in its case, in my sock
drawer.

The experience is always the same. The old refill isn't empty but
skips when writing lower-case "l" and "e" loops on paper. I know it's
not empty because I've pried the problematic ones open with pliers to
confirm they're typically half full when this issue starts. So, I
replace the cartridge with a new one which writes beautifully and
reminds me why I love this pen so much - at least until a month goes
by and then the skipping problem starts up all over again.

Might there be a problem with paper fibers or other microscopic
particles getting lodged into the rolling mechanism? I know this pen
is supposed to be able to perform some amazing feats - including
writing through grease - but does it have to perform as if it's
writing through grease when I'm writing on clean paper?

I love the look and feel of the Sensa line of pens but they too use
the Fisher brand refills. I'm confused because so many posts here
claim Fisher's superiority. I'm not about to switch to a broad point
just to satisfy this problem - I use a stainless steel Parker Jotter
with a genuine black medium Parker refill which, IMHO, writes with
more consistency (and even blacker) than the more expensive Fisher
refill. Even the humble (and practically free) Papermate black stick
pens write better than the $4-$5 Fisher refills.

Your comments and personal experiences are more than welcome.

JC - Who *wants* to use his Fisher but can't stand the way it writes!
Old April 15th 04, 08:41 PM
QuarterHorseman

FWIW (next to nothing), the quality of the Fisher space refills is why I
quit using my bullet pen. I also used to have a Sensa whose refill was
no better. Smooth but too little pigment. The Parker refills aren't
much better IMO -- smooth but little pigment. All why I now prefer
Cross black refills over all others, with the old-style Paper Mate
refills a close second. Actually I don't think any of the refills I've
tried can hold a candle to a plain disposable black stick ballpoint. At
the barn today I picked up off the floor a totally-BTS OfficeMax generic
black stick and it wrote as well as or better than anything I've ever
used. Pretty sorry state of affairs. All the more reason to buy a
replacement refill for the BP one has his eye on *before* one buys the
pen, in order to try the refill first, before making the pen-purchase
decision.
Old April 16th 04, 12:27 AM
Bensont

Unfortunately, Fisher ballpoint refills are indeed probably the worst
refills out there for normal writing use, as you're discovering. I
have the same problem with them, in that they tend to skip or glop
when executing l's and e's. I also hate that they all tend to create a
big glop of ink at the tip when you don't use the pen for about a
minute or so...the next time you start it up, you end up with this big
chunk of ink. It's also not easy to start up at all compared to other
ballpoint refills.

Like you, I also love Sensa's designs, but dread that they use Fisher
refills...which is why I don't use my Sensas much. Fortunately it
seems they're learning, and the latest models coming out seem to be
all made to use Parker gel refills and Parker ballpoint refills.

I suppose Fisher's are great for those situations when you need a pen
that won't die on you in hardcore situations. Otherwise, I stick to
other refill brands for my everyday pens. The best of the best IMO is
the Caran d'Ache refills...exceptionally smooth, and decently vivid,
although I find their pens a little too slim for my hand. Montblancs
come second for smoothness, but do have a more vivid line than Caran
d'Ache. Then there's also Parkers, Sheaffers, and Cross refills, which
are all above average. None of these refills are plagued by the
dreaded glopping problems that Fishers and el cheapo ballpoints have.
This is my experience from using both fines and mediums.

Old April 16th 04, 03:43 PM
QuarterHorseman

Sheesh, I totally forgot about those great Pilot/Namiki BP refills. I
put those above everything else I mentioned above. The reason I forgot
about them is that about a year ago I left my one Pilot BP in a pair of
jeans that I washed -- the ink seeped into the guts of the pen and that
was the end of that, so I no longer have a pen that can use the 2
remaining refills I have. Maybe now I have an excuse to buy... a new pen!
Old April 16th 04, 09:32 PM
Bluesea

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I suggest that you try Eversharp's Astro pressurized refills since they're
the same size. Personally, I hate them because they leaked and blobbed on
me, but I've heard others who love Eversharps & say the same about Fisher
refills. Since I've never had any problems with Fisher fine or medium
refills of various colors and am one of those that swear by Fishers but
swears at the Eversharps, it may be one of those weird cases where one brand
works for some people when the other invokes dismay and vice versa.

You may also want to check out Sensa's newer products. The Cloud 9 take
Cross refills while the Stylist accepts Parker bp and gel refills. With the
little plastic adapter that's included with Fisher and Eversharp refills,
it'll take those, too. The new pens in the classic style also accept Parker
refills but may be too feminine in color. I'm waiting for the new wood tones
that are due to come out this fall.

A strange thought - Have you tried writing with a heavier hand? Does it
still skip?

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 16th 04, 10:47 PM
GA

As per the suggestion above, I took a *new* style Sensa and put in a
Schmidt (Parker style) ballpoint cartridge and its now a perfect great
everyday pen. Lamy ballpoints are also very good but only fit in Lamy
pens. I am a lefty so I care a lot about "ink blobs" left behind.

Old April 17th 04, 01:37 PM
JP

Reverse of my own experience witth the bullet pen.
The eversharp refills glob and blob, while the
fishers perform well and write on all surfaces, glass, wax paper etc.

Haven't bought refills for a few years, maybe I'm out of touch.

JP