Body bagged coins

Old April 30th 05, 02:53 PM
Anita

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 02:08:06 -0700, Aram H. Haroutunian
Doesn't that bother you? You paid good money for an opinion about
grade and authenticity, and encapsulation. They give you an opinion
that your coin isn't good enough to grade, make no statement about
authenticity, and do not encapsulate. They just keep your money for
what? A soft plastic bag and a sneer? What a great business!
Don't most businesses refund your fees if they don't perform the
service(s) paid for?
Aram.

No, it doesn't upset me. The only thing that bothers me is that I
missed the cleaning, as did one other collector. I *am* glad that I
sent it economy class. Better to lose $18 than $30-50. I am upset at
the person who sold it to me as MS, but he may not known it was
cleaned, either.

There is a place for damaged/altered coins. Most professionals say
that it is hard to learn to identify a coin problem until one sees
examples. A nice set of damaged/altered coins can be an asset to
someone learning about coins.

Anita
Old April 30th 05, 04:40 PM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:53:01 GMT, Anita wrote:

[...]

Sorry. I was stating what I thought was obvious. You are punished
for missing the cleaning by being charged for no services, unless you
regard the loss of the money as training fees. I dunno. Feels too
much like blame the victim to me. ANACS will provide an opinion as to
authenticity, grade, the problem causing a net grade, and
encapsulation. I wasn't aware that ICG was the only service which
refunded for no service(s). Does any service refund in case of a
counterfeit coin? Of course, identifying a counterfeit would be a
service. So a partial refund would seem reasonable for any
non-performance by a grading service, to me, anyway.
Aram.
Old April 30th 05, 04:45 PM
Bob Flaminio

Anita wrote:
What do you guys do with body bagged coins?

Cross them to ACG for upgrades?

--
Bob

Old April 30th 05, 05:07 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:41:03 GMT, Anita wrote:

a bullion bone yard of body bagged coins.

Hey, that has a nice lilt to it ... maybe someone could write a song
with that line?

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old April 30th 05, 05:49 PM
PC

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
Anita wrote:
What do you guys do with body bagged coins?

Cross them to ACG for upgrades?

*splorf*

Does anyone know of a good way to remove soda from an LCD monitor?

Old April 30th 05, 06:39 PM
Anita

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:45:04 -0700, "Bob Flaminio"
wrote:

Anita wrote:
What do you guys do with body bagged coins?

Cross them to ACG for upgrades?

Or send them to NNC for MS65 designation?
Anita

Old April 30th 05, 06:42 PM
Anita

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:07:32 +0200, Bob Hairgrove
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:41:03 GMT, Anita wrote:

a bullion bone yard of body bagged coins.

Hey, that has a nice lilt to it ... maybe someone could write a song
with that line?

I'm looking for a little casket to hold the coins. I can use the world
coin slabs and make the tag look like a tombstone. Really, we could
have fun with this.

I tried to say the above two times fast... couldn't do it.

Anita
Old April 30th 05, 07:47 PM
Anita

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:40:06 -0700, Aram H. Haroutunian
Sorry. I was stating what I thought was obvious. You are punished
for missing the cleaning by being charged for no services, unless you
regard the loss of the money as training fees. I dunno. Feels too
much like blame the victim to me. ANACS will provide an opinion as to
authenticity, grade, the problem causing a net grade, and
encapsulation. I wasn't aware that ICG was the only service which
refunded for no service(s). Does any service refund in case of a
counterfeit coin? Of course, identifying a counterfeit would be a
service. So a partial refund would seem reasonable for any
non-performance by a grading service, to me, anyway.
Aram.

I wasn't offended. Don't worry. What you said made perfect sense to
me.

I had heard that ICG does not charge for BB'ed coins. I wish I had
known earlier. A couple of weeks ago, I sent a Peace dollar to PCGS
that I expect may be BB'ed. It had a small degree of wipe that I
wasn't sure would keep it from being certified. If I had known I would
have sent this dollar to ICG. It is an uncirculated 1935-S that I
didn't want to pass on if it was impaired beyond grading. In this
case, I was paying for an opinion. I know now to send iffy coins to
ICG.

Anita
Old May 1st 05, 06:33 PM
Merlin Dorfman

Anita wrote:
I just checked on a couple of my PCGS submissions. Some good
surprises. Some bad. One of the coins was body bagged for cleaning. I
missed it completely. And so starts my collection of bad coins.

I just checked an NGC order on-line and they bagged my Isabella
quarter as "improperly cleaned." Also my Lafayette dollar is graded
AU-58 rather than uncirculated. Bummer. I bought them many years
ago and didn't pay much for them, but still...

What do you guys do with body bagged coins? I think they are
interesting if only in learning what to look for. I am trying to
envision a way to file them that will be interesting. (Stupid, I know)

So is the Isabella a total loss? Will NGC's partner, NCS, or
anybody else, do anything with it?

Old May 1st 05, 06:46 PM
Bob Peterson

"Merlin Dorfman" wrote in message
Anita wrote:
I just checked on a couple of my PCGS submissions. Some good
surprises. Some bad. One of the coins was body bagged for cleaning. I
missed it completely. And so starts my collection of bad coins.

I just checked an NGC order on-line and they bagged my Isabella
quarter as "improperly cleaned." Also my Lafayette dollar is graded
AU-58 rather than uncirculated. Bummer. I bought them many years
ago and didn't pay much for them, but still...

What do you guys do with body bagged coins? I think they are
interesting if only in learning what to look for. I am trying to
envision a way to file them that will be interesting. (Stupid, I know)

So is the Isabella a total loss? Will NGC's partner, NCS, or
anybody else, do anything with it?

Is there any way to reverse "improper" cleaning?