(RCSD) Postal Regulations

Old October 31st 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Default (RCSD) Postal Regulations

I have things to do so instead I start reading Postal Regulations on
the USPS site. I was surprised that it is possible to insure Priority
International Mail. I don't know if this new but I didn't know it
until today. The service starts at $21 for up to a lb. (the insurance
rates are added on similar to domestic rates). What caught my
attention and what is puzzling is that no written personal or current
correspondence is allowed. At that cost to the sender who cares?
Anyone have an idea why such a stipulation is necessary. For Media
and Book Rate I can understand it but what could possibly be the
reason for Priority International? It must have something to do with
Customs and Business Papers Declarations. The complexities seem to be
endless.

Old November 1st 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Albumen

The postal service changed international services earlier this year. As a
result, parcel post went away, being converted to a universal 1st class
rate. Priority mail was somewhat re-organized along the lines of domestic
priority mail, with universal labeling for boxes and letter envelopes.
Express mail remains the same as before.

What users will notice about the new international rates are that they are
more expensive. First-class mail parcels are not really first-class in that
they are now the lowest priority after priority and express mail
respectfully. The changes to priority mail are that they no longer have a
barcode. These barcodes were used for internal tracking, and in this respect
this change was a step in the wrong direction. Express mail still retains a
tracking number, but as before, the tracking only works to the border - and
not beyond the U.S.

-al

"TL" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have things to do so instead I start reading Postal Regulations on
the USPS site. I was surprised that it is possible to insure Priority
International Mail. I don't know if this new but I didn't know it
until today. The service starts at $21 for up to a lb. (the insurance
rates are added on similar to domestic rates). What caught my
attention and what is puzzling is that no written personal or current
correspondence is allowed. At that cost to the sender who cares?
Anyone have an idea why such a stipulation is necessary. For Media
and Book Rate I can understand it but what could possibly be the
reason for Priority International? It must have something to do with
Customs and Business Papers Declarations. The complexities seem to be
endless.

(RCSD) France issues Euro 0.54 prepaid postal card - RUGBY WORLD CUP 2007 Blair (TC) General Discussion 7 September 13th 07 04:55 AM
(RCSD) Looking Back #195 - Colours, Universal Postal Union Blair (TC) General Discussion 0 July 14th 07 06:24 PM
Special Regulations Bret Marketplace 0 October 8th 06 08:56 PM
How eBay Makes Regulations Disappear Jim Higgins Coins 21 June 14th 06 02:19 AM
Customs/Export Regulations Michael Ng Coins 3 May 31st 06 11:52 PM