(RCSD) Amazing

Old October 26th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Default (RCSD) Amazing

Does anyone notice things like this in searching auctions?
Recently I came across an auction of stamps described as huge CV at a
low start ($25k-$30k for $2500). Upon looking at the stamps in the
pictures my first thought was 'good luck, no one will bid on those'.
So I put it in my watch list. 14 stamps, none of them identified (5
don't need to be), their condition is not described; not the gum, the
paper or anything, 2 are blurry, 6 are off center with perfs into the
design, few have very good perforations left and have rounded
corners. Other defects are obvious. The stamps were photographed
against a background just slightly different from the stamp paper
value and color. To my amazement there is bidding on them. What I
can't figure out is why. My own experience has been very
disappointing when it comes to selling second-rate material. The big
difference and something I've noticed time and time again is that many
sellers use very poor visual representations and descriptions to sell
second-rate material. This has always turned me away from an
auction. When I've put that kind of material up I've made huge
perfect scans front and back and described things extensively. That
has turned buyers away, I've done very poorly at selling high-value
stamps. Why are the flim-flam dealers consistently rewarded? Why
would a buyer bid aggressively up to 20% CV for fillers yet ignore
paying 30% CV outright for something near perfect? It isn't a
conspiracy, it seems to be human nature. I find it impossible to
utilize the strategies that I see working for others and it burns my
a__ that it is so prevalent.
Amazed

Old October 26th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

..
" ...No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the .......
public. ..." H. L. Menckin
..
On Oct 26, 12:59 pm, TL wrote:
Does anyone notice things like this in searching auctions? Recently I
came across ............ nature. I find it impossible to utilize the

Old October 27th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:59:20 -0700, TL wrote:

Hmmm... the thrill of the "deal"? Might get "lucky"? Lotto
mentality?

Whatever the answer is, I wish you the best in future endeavors.

Old October 28th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"TL" wrote in message
oups.com...
conspiracy, it seems to be human nature. I find it impossible to
utilize the strategies that I see working for others and it burns my
a__ that it is so prevalent.
Amazed

The degree of amazement, depends on your degree
of dealing with the public.
They can be a source of great joy, down to outright
bewilderment.
The low point of my profession as a Realtor, came
not with misrepresentation that led to a loss of
thousands of dollars, but one that always stuck in my mind.
A vendor once, on selling his medium range home in Perth
not only dug up and removed the reticulation, but he took out
the "AA" batteries from the front door chime.

To me that had to be a record.

This may assist you in at least feeling your observations are not
alone:
(not that I recommend Glen Stephens)

snipped

"Also in this column I highlight the monthly parade
of idiots who bid insane amounts of money for
COMMON STAMP MATERIAL on ebay.
Their numbers never seem to diminish.

Some nut just paid $187.50 for a "Stamp News"
freebie that I have mailed 50 copies of - FREE - to clients!
Photo and full details of this madness he

http://www.glenstephens.com/snnovember07.html

Old October 30th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tedski

I have come across this exact thing when selling collectible
paperbacks. I will check past auctions to see if, and for how much,
the same book I have has sold for. I will find ads with no scans and
ads with poor quality scans of obviously poor condition books that
bring nice pricecs. I will put up high quality books with large,
clear, beautiful scans, with detailed publishing information and
descriptions of condition, and I get next to nothing, and, in fact
have had very nice items worth 10 to 20 bucks close without attracting
even an opening bid of 99c.

And, getting back to stamps on eBay, why do so few ads include catalog
numbers?

Cheers,

Ted

Old October 30th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Oct 29, 9:02 pm, Tedski wrote:
I have come across this exact thing when selling collectible
paperbacks. I will check past auctions to see if, and for how much,
the same book I have has sold for. I will find ads with no scans and
ads with poor quality scans of obviously poor condition books that
bring nice pricecs. I will put up high quality books with large,
clear, beautiful scans, with detailed publishing information and
descriptions of condition, and I get next to nothing, and, in fact
have had very nice items worth 10 to 20 bucks close without attracting
even an opening bid of 99c.

And, getting back to stamps on eBay, why do so few ads include catalog
numbers?

Cheers,

Ted

Scott numbers are great for someone who has the catalog but many
people especially in places outside of the US use different catalogs
and numbers. Putting the universal info along with the number is the
best bet. Other reasons might be: that it is too much work to
identify (There is a huge time factor in selling - make the buyer do
the work), it can be mistaken for a similar issue of a higher value,
make the bidder think that he is more alone in his knowledge of the
ID, give the impression that the seller doesn't know what it is.
When I bought a lot of stamps (thousands of auctions) I most often
dealt with auctions that used huge jpegs and described stamps
thoroughly. Much like other collectors who see the wisdom in buying
high quality stamps for a little more, I was able to put together some
very nice collections of better material at a relatively low average
percentage of CV (It involved a tremendous commitment of time and
research). If you think about it, on average, bidders will stop
bidding at a percentage of CV. If you are willing to go one percent
better on average, you will get some very nice stamps. Naturally
there will be those stamps that always go higher; Zeppelins, Trans-
Mississippi, German Offices, etc. The only times I got burnt were
from the flim-flam, as-is, don't-know-what-it-is, don't-know-how-to-
make-a-sharp-image phonies.
There appears to be a tremendous amount of stamps, philatelic items
and postal history that is in limbo and can only be moved at minimal
prices or with "creative" (less than honest) marketing.
TLTL

Old November 1st 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tedski

After a little thought, and also after reading rodney's post and your
(TL's) "flim-flam" line, I've come to a more pessimistic conclusion.
Sellers don't identify their stamps in the hopes that a buyer WILL
misidentify it as a more valuable stamp and overbid for it.

Tedski

Old November 1st 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Tedski" wrote in message
ups.com...
After a little thought, and also after reading rodney's post and your
(TL's) "flim-flam" line, I've come to a more pessimistic conclusion.
Sellers don't identify their stamps in the hopes that a buyer WILL
misidentify it as a more valuable stamp and overbid for it.
Tedski

In the 70's we all had "Desiderata" stuck on the fridge,
or the mirror, or on the lounge wall, lit by a "black light"
next to the "lava lamp"

It had marvelous advice, an excellent de facto parent,
and it went something like....

"be cautious in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery"

I recently stuck it surreptitiously, on my son's
bedroom wall, but no comment so far,
perhaps he's missed it, which wouldn't be difficult
in his room, that space that resembles an explosion in a
mattress factory.

Old November 1st 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:40:12 +0800, "rodney"
wrote:

Yep. There are plenty of games played in the on-line auction sphere.
I have seen plenty of honest sellers, however... If someone is
looking to spend THAT kind of money, they MAY want to LOOK it over
before bidding.

Caveat Emptor...

oups.com...

Amazing. note.boy Coins 3 January 6th 07 04:19 PM
Amazing. note.boy Coins 3 June 21st 06 10:17 PM
Amazing note.boy Coins 2 August 24th 04 06:01 PM
Amazing Ladies, The Women of Amazing Creations Ink Amazing Creations Ink Cards:- non-sport 0 October 18th 03 11:22 PM
Amazing Ladies, The Women of Amazing Creations Ink Amazing Creations Ink Cards:- non-sport 0 October 18th 03 11:21 PM