How best to protect valuble paperback

Old October 13th 04, 02:53 PM
Bob Riedel

Bud Webster writes:

And are the old, unmarked Dell crossword puzzle books still
getting top whack?

$400 or so for sharp, clean copies of the first couple -- but the market has
gotten soft in the last few years. The pool of serious puzzle collectors is
smaller, I think -- or at least of collectors still looking for key titles.
Nice copies are still scarce as hen's teeth, though, so maybe it's just time
for the proactive approach -- you know, threaten publicly to fill in the
puzzles if the book doesn't sell by next week.

Bob
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat
Old October 15th 04, 07:03 AM
Bill Palmer

Bud Webster wrote in message . ..
On 13 Oct 2004 04:58:02 GMT, usted (Bob Riedel)
wrote:

Maxwell Grant. The Shadow and the Voice of Murder (LA Bantam, pictorial cover).
$1500.

[snip]

Dead on. And are the old, unmarked Dell crossword puzzle books still
getting top whack?

I'll add to your list of $100+ titles in fine condition:

Harlan Ellison - Rumble (Pyramid 1958), $350-475.
Harlan Ellison - The Deadly Streets (Ace 1958), $100-200
Harlan Ellison - The Juvies (Ace 1961), $175-350
Harlan Ellison - Gentleman Junkie (Regency 1961), $150-275
Harlan Ellison - Memos From Purgatory (Regency 1961), $100-225
Harlan Ellison - Rockabilly (Gold Medal 1961), $100-211
Philip Jose Farmer - Image of the Beast (Essex House 1968), $175-250
Philip Jose Farmer - Blown (Essex House 1969), $125-350
Philip Jose Farmer - A Feast Unknown (Essex House 1969), $125-300

As usual, Palmer is clueless.

You are full of beans. In the first place, I was
asking about books which cannot be found for less
than *1,000." None of the books on your list
qualify, so I fail to see what you are crowing
about, Mr. Jackanapes Webster. As to the books
on the other person's "over $1,000" list, I will
be checking those out over the next couple of days.
If he is correct I will credit him. If he his not,
well, he will hear about it. If I find even
one of those his books on sale in good
condition at Abebooks or with anyone else
on Bookfinder for $999.99 or lower, then he
will be wrong.

Mr. Palmer
Room 314
Old October 15th 04, 12:50 PM
Bob Riedel

Bill Palmer writes:
If I find even
one of those his books on sale in good
condition at Abebooks or with anyone else
on Bookfinder for $999.99 or lower, then he
will be wrong.

But Mr Palmer -- remember that your first request was for a list of:

"ten mass market paperbacks which cannot be
readily purchased in fine condition for considerably
less than $1,000 each."

So, not "good" condition, but "fine" condition; and "considerably" less, not a
penny.

Keeping you honest for free,

Old October 18th 04, 05:36 AM
Bud Webster

On 14 Oct 2004 23:03:50 -0700, (Bill
Palmer) wrote:

I fail to see what you are crowing about, Mr. Jackanapes Webster.

"Jackanapes?" I'm a "jackanapes?" Geeze, I never been a "jackanapes"
before. Does that come with extra stuff, like a special hat or
anything?

HardyBoy, you heard anything about me being a "jackanapes?" I mean, I
*try* to keep up with things on the 'Net, but there's always stuff you
miss. I Googled "jackanapes" and it came up with a lot of things
(like a picture of Palmer), but nothing with my name.

I dunno, it must just have happened or something. I'm sure it'll turn
up sooner or later.

PagHat, have YOU seen anything about me being a "jackanapes?" Before
Palmer made the announcement, I mean. You keep your ear pretty close
to the ground, maybe you heard something I didn't. I looked
"jackanapes"up in the dictionary, and there wasn't very much besides
the same picture of Palmer that's on the 'Net, so I guess the word
hasn't gotten around yet.

I mean, do I get some kind of cake for this? Or a T-shirt? I hope
it's not a tattoo that says "jackanapes" because tattoos hurt, and
"jackanapes" is a pretty long word.

John Y., you're in Japan, right? They're pretty high-tech over there.
Do THEY have anything that says I'm a "jackanapes" and what I'm
supposed to do about it? Are there meetings I have to go to, or
classes I have to take? I hope not, because if I have to go all the
way to Japan to become a "jackanapes" I'll probably have to not do it.
I mean, that's a really long way away, and I got plans for this
weekend.

Wow, a "jackanapes." That's ten letters, and that would really hurt
if it has to be, like, a tattoo. Hell, "Mom" really hurt, and I
*liked* her, so I dunno, I think I'm going to have to do some
thinking about this. It might not work out. I mean, I hate to
disappoint Palmer - he's had so many disappointments already in his
life - but I just don't know if I can take the time to be a
"jackanapes." Are there dues or anything? Would I get, like, a card
I could carry around in my wallet? I hope not, because I lose my
wallet a lot, and I'd have to always be writing away for another one.

Hey, that's another question. Where would I write to get another card
if I lost mine? Probably the president of the "Jackanapes" of America
or something, and that's probably Palmer, and he doesn't like me for
some reason, so he probably wouldn't send me another card unless I
paid my dues again, and I just think this would get too expensive.

Nah, I'm going to have to pass on this, I think. Maybe later.

Old October 19th 04, 05:38 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Bud Webster wrote:

John Y., you're in Japan, right? They're pretty high-tech over
there. Do THEY have anything that says I'm a "jackanapes"

Nope, nothing at this end, Bob.

and what I'm supposed to do about it?

Yep, there's plenty on this. I think they got it from Confucius. When
insulted or otherwise affronted one should either remain silent or, if one
does reply, remain frigidly polite. Allow the other person to do all the
bad-mouthing. Others will soon draw their own conclusions.

I am by nature one of these impetuous red-headed Celtic types, and to make
matters worse I lived in the hot-headed culture of Andalucia for many years.
I do not take naturally to the Japanese way. I still let my temper get the
better of me on occasion (see the "Scrap!" thread, for example), and I
sometimes feel that Japanese people are *too* passive. But the longer I live
the closer I come to accepting the essential correctness of the Japanese way
in this matter.

Are there meetings I have to go to, or
classes I have to take?

To be a jackanapes, or to respond to people who call you such things? I
guess you mean the former, but I'll assume the latter! Well, yes, you could
attend classes, but you're doing OK as it is, I think. I don't think
Confucius would be against a bit of ridiculing of one's opponent, providing
it was done without malice or vindictiveness. It kind of suggests that one
has a sense of humour and that one's opponent doesn't and ought to lighten
up a bit.

Greetings from the land of the falling rain (wettest October in years!).

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old October 19th 04, 06:07 PM
Bill Palmer

"michael adams" wrote in message ...
"Bud Webster" wrote in message

I looked
"jackanapes"up in the dictionary, and there wasn't very much besides
the same picture of Palmer that's on the 'Net, so I guess the word
hasn't gotten around yet.

Doh!

quote

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
Fourth Edition. 2000.

jackanapes

SYLLABICATION: jack·a·napes
PRONUNCIATION: jk-nps

NOUN: 1. A conceited or impudent person.
2. A mischievous child.
3. Archaic A monkey or an ape.

You prove far too limited in your research.
The sense of the word I had in mind is one
found in the two volume NEW SHORTER OXFORD
DICTIONARY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE:

JACKANAPES (Sense 2): "A person displaying
qualities or behaviour associated with apes..."
(and)"...an impertinent person." Since one
can make a good argument that both phrases
found in Sense 2 are highly appropriate for
describing the person in question, I thought
the word was perfect. By the way,
in the OXFORD, Sense 1 contains the archaic
definition (your Number 3 above). On the
other hand, Sense 2, which I have quoted
from the OXFORD, is standard English, so
no one can accuse me of resorting to
archaic terms to characterize this individual
for the amusement of our readers.

Mr. Palmer
Room 314

ETYMOLOGY: From Middle English Jack Napis, nickname of
William de la Pole, Fourth Earl and First Duke of Suffolk (1396-1450).

/quote

http://www.bartleby.com/61/24/J0002400.html

Oh and while we're here. Your not related to John's Victorian
novelist Grace Webster, by any chance are you?

Now that would be a coincidence!

michael adams

Old October 20th 04, 12:14 AM
Bob

"Bud Webster" wrote

HardyBoy, you heard anything about me being a "jackanapes?"

It's news to me but I've been busy pondering when was the precise moment R&B
became Doo-Wop rock-n-roll.
I'm leaning towards the Crows 1953 recording of "Gee" but a strong case can
be made for the Chords "Sh-Boom".
The search continues...