Removing an inscription from book

Old April 14th 05, 01:46 AM
my-wings

"The People's Poet" wrote in message
oups.com...

michael adams wrote:
"Mike Baker" wrote in message

Anyone know how to remove the stripes from a zebra without
doing them any harm?

Yup. Dye their hair black all over

The roots need retouching around every two months.

Hth

michael adams

A little tip:

Not only was that cringemakingly unfunny,

Actually, I thought it was rather clever.

but even a frequently truant
school-child would know that zebras have fur rather than hair.

Or perhaps *only* a frequently truant school-child would think so.

Ask the experts at Scientific American:
What is the difference between hair and fur?

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_quest...B7809EC588F2D7

Or, ask a scientist:
http://web.bvu.edu/faculty/schweller...uestions1.html

It would appear that "fur", if distinguished from "hair" at all, is a
specialized subset of of the larger category, making "hair" correct in all
cases, and "fur" correct only if agreement can be obtained on the "thick"
and "soft" issue mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Some zebras have a mane of hair and a tail, but the white and black
stuff on their bodies that you are talking about dyeing is actually
known by the technical name of "fur".

Or "hair", if one prefers precision.

It helps to get your facts right before commenting on such issues.
Unless you want to make a zebra's a**e of yourself.

Really?

Alice

--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Old April 14th 05, 02:39 AM
John Pelan

On 13 Apr 2005 12:55:26 -0700, "The People's Poet"
wrote:

You omit to mention that in websites devoted to the zebra, the downy
growth covering their bodies is referred to as fur, whereas the spikier
stuff growing on their manes and tails is quite distinctly referred to
as hair. Hence the fact that the anti-fur campaigners target - yupp,
you've guessed it - people who wear zebra fur.

As for horsehair, any fool knows that this refers to the hair found
growing on both mane and tail. You try painting with anything else from
a horse's fur / hair / skin covering and then come back here to tell us
how you got on.

Only last week you were left with egg on your face after trying to
disagree with my contention that it would be unwise to poll a packed
pub of West Africans about whether they minded being called 'sambo'
(when somebody else asked whether the term was deemed offensive). Not
content with screwing up then, it would appear that you are playing the
*rear* end of the pantomine horse.

Face it Adams, you've scored two stunning own goals. It happens to us
all at some time or other. I suggest you have the good grace to admit
it and then move on.

People's Poet
(Never for one moment expecting Adams to show good grace or humility)

Another socko? Really, little toad, do you never tire of these games?
Let's see:

Agatha Runcible
Jonathan Harker
Haunted Cesspool
Major Major
SilverSurferMom
OhThoseVileBodies
Bonafide BidderUK
GhostsAlive!
Professor Snape

Of course, with a mug like this,
http://www.hauntedriver.co.uk/meish.jpg

I'd make it a point to try and conceal my identity, too.

Cheerio!

John
Old April 14th 05, 12:32 PM

Why do so many genuine inquiries degenerate into ****ing contests among
the self-appointed wits of this forum?

Old April 14th 05, 12:59 PM
The People's Poet

http://hauntedriver.co.uk/page28.html
http://hauntedriver.co.uk/page29.html

Old April 14th 05, 01:05 PM
The People's Poet

Quite.

Ego, testosterone and the unique opportunities that the internet gives
bullies to harrass others? I'm all for witty one-liners and ripostes,
but when discussions degenerate into ugly aggression - perhaps best
typified by the average John Pelan post (posts riddled with violent
homosexual imagery, often criticised in this very group) - then it's
time to leave the trolls alone and resort to the ever-useful
'whatever'.

http://hauntedriver.co.uk

Old April 14th 05, 07:22 PM

Please excuse this off-topic post, but as many of you have not
previously had the "pleasure" of interaction with the notorious troll
Chris Barker, here's a little preview so you can know what to expect
in terms of net-kookery.

2001-05-24 Chris Barker / Haunted River reveals his thwarted
aspirations:

"Before I slid into this genre I was starting up on a career of
comedy script-writing."

2004-01-22 Chris Barker the diplomat says:

"It isn't xenophobic to be anti-American, it's just good manners."

2004-01-21 Chris Barker / Haunted River admits:

"I've never once been to America."

2003-06-19 Chris Barker / Haunted River confesses:

"I make no claim to be a publisher, writer, or editor."

2001-05-28 Chris Barker / Haunted River advises:

"'Think before you type' might be a wise idiom for you to adopt."

2003-11-12 Chris Barker / Haunted River further confesses:

"I'm not a great fan of concrete logic. I prefer to explore the
fringes of the unknown."

2004-01-25 Chris Barker / Haunted River criticises another poster:

"Your comments are illogical."

2004-02-19 Chris Barker / Haunted River sees mental illness all
around:

"Not only are you mentally deranged..."

2004-01-30 Chris Barker / Haunted River confesses his lack of
knowledge about mental illness:

"I wouldn't dare to presume knowing much about mental illness"

2004-02-17 Chris Barker / Haunted River melodramatically muses:

"Is it just me, or does your obsession with control-freakery,
enforced doctrine and history re-writing mirror the Stalinist
purges?"

2003-12-12 Chris Barker filled with Yuletide spirits warns:

"Roden: if you ever creep back into the UK I will be there to scoop
your heart out with a spoon. That is a promise - on my mother's life.
Don't take that as an idle threat either. I was never more serious in
my life."

2004-01-24 Chris Barker / Haunted River wonders:

"Why do you always have to be so bloody melodramatic?"

2003-02-26 Chris Barker / Haunted River approves of invective:

"I support the use of invective against oneself, or indeed a
combatant"

2004-01-25 Chris Barker / Haunted River disapproves of invective:

"These people manage to air their views without drenching all
comments in overheated invective & unpleasant profanity."

2004-01-30 Chris Barker / Haunted River practises invective:

""Posting handle" my foot. May I respectfully suggest you insert
posting handle into your rear passage"

2004-02-09 Chris Barker / Haunted River abuses:

"You sad, childless, ignorant pervert."

2004-01-29 Chris Barker / Haunted River claims:

"No one can seriously accuse me of being abusive."

2004-02-04 Chris Barker / Haunted River diagnoses psychotic
behaviour:

"I use different names on places like Ebay to escape the obsessive
and deranged attentions of a raving psychotic like you."

2004-02-04 Chris Barker / Haunted River claims he is normal:

"normal people like me..."

2004-03-02 Chris Barker / Haunted River claims higher knowledge:

"I say things because I *know* them to be true."

2004-02-02 Chris Barker International Man of Mystery smirks:

"I can confirm that I only reveal my real name to someone I know or
trust."

2004-01-29 Chris Barker / Haunted River warns:

"Seriously, do not believe in anyone who's existence cannot be
independently validated."

2001-05-24 Chris Barker / Haunted River on paranoia:

"Please be assured that I am not overly paranoid, despite what the
entire population of the UK say (though those *******s won't dare
say it to my face....!)."

2004-02-18 Chris Barker / Haunted River claims:

"If it wasn't for me, abgf, the M.R. James Newsletter, Horrabin Hall,
Haunted Bookshelf and All Hallows would be quieter and emptier
places."

2004-03-02 Chris Barker / Haunted River addresses his customers at
alt.books.ghost-fiction:

"Most of you are vicious snakes. And I don't trust snakes."

2004-01-22 Chris Barker / Haunted River berates us all:

"Jesus, you people are sick, sick, sick. No wonder the internet's
going down the pan."

2004-26-03 Chris Barker / Haunted River displays his talents for
espionage:

"Infiltrating it was incredibly easy. All I had to do was create a
fake American identity - a Stephen King fan who liked baseball..."

2004-26-03 Chris Barker / Haunted River looks into the abyss and sees
a tall, toad-faced creature leering back at him:

"I've always had a special loathing for hypocrites"

Well, that's just the tip of the iceberg...

Cheers,

John

Old April 14th 05, 09:13 PM
The People's Poet

That's why your business is going down the toilet: manic obsession.

Old April 14th 05, 10:45 PM

Really?

Let's see:

Horrible Imaginings = OP
Eternity Lost = 3/4 sold out prior to publication
Star Changes = OP on publication

Yep, right down the drain... ;-)

Care to place any wagers on how our G.G. Pendarves or Eric Frank
Russell volumes will do? Thought not. Now STFU and get back to your
lurid fantasies.

Cheerio,

Old April 15th 05, 08:51 AM
The People's Poet

As I said, you're manically obsessed with me. Stalking sock puppets (a
half dozen at least), two successive Yahoo groups dedicated to stalking
me, extremely long posts highlighting my alleged 'crimes' (see two
posts above), etcetera etcetera.

Clearly you resent my alerting the HWA to your abuse of position at
that organisation; similarly, you were furious when I discovered that
you had been telling bare-faced lies about owning stock with your ISP;
and as for my deducing that you appear to harbour repressed homosexual
fantasies of a very sadistic nature, as evidenced by your persistent
references to violent gay sex (..and your interest in sadistic
horror....and your interest in 'male wrestling'), well, you don't
appear to be too pleased.And as for your reaction to learning that the
Seattle PD are monitoring your IT activity subsequent to your
involvement in the posting of vile and grossly libellous allegations
via one of your own sock puppets.....why, it's almost enough to make
you move house, surely?

Manically obsessed: it really is the most appropriate term. You and
Kevin O'Brien are peas-in-a-pod.