Help Identifying Syriac? Work 16th/17th Century? (0/1)

Old December 6th 05, 04:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Help Identifying Syriac? Work 16th/17th Century? (0/1)

I've been having a quick scour through evolving Arameic Hebrew and
Arabic scripts on the Web without too much luck.

You'll do better searching for Aramaic.

He would be better off finding a scholar who can read any variety
of Syriac/Aramaic and related languages from the year dot. I gave
him the email address of one and didn't get any acknowledgement.

Old December 6th 05, 04:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"John R. Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Michael Adams wrote:

The - "Coll: Rom: Soe(?).Jes(?)"... er "Jesuit"

"Coll: Rom: Soc Iesu" - i.e., the Collegio Romano, the most famous of
the Jesuit colleges (see, e.g.,
http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m11939/latest/).

Indeed - allowing for my spelling mistake - "Romanorum"
for "Romanum" could this be the same place ?

"michael adams" wrote in message

follow up:

The Collegium Romanorum was the Jesuit College founded in Rome
by Pope Gregory in 1582. It was also known as the Gregorian
University. It was disbanded in 1870

quote

For the international Jesuit college (Collegium Romanum) he built
in 1582 the large edifice known as the Collegio Romano which was
occupied by the faculty and students of the Collegium Romanum
(Gregorian University) until the Piedmontese Government declared
it national property and expelled the Jesuits in 1870.

/quote

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07001b.htm

The further point having already been suggested -

Follow Up: * Rudimentary was the name given to a class in Roman Catholic
Schools, Colleges, or Seminaries, above Figures and Below Latin in Jesuit
Schools. So possibly this was a text for use in the Rudimentary Class
in Syriac.[ In the Jesuit, Collegium Romanum ]

*I owe the above to my £1 Oxford Dictionary CD (Cancer Research Charity
Shop Find) No more downloading American Heritage Dictionary definitions
pour moi!

michael adams

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old December 6th 05, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Michael Adams wrote:

Wouldn't any or all of the above (need to ) contain at least some text in
Roman i.e. Western Script ?

I would imagine so. They certainly have titles in Roman script. I'm not
suggesting that the book in question might be one of these texts,
merely envisaging that perhaps they may cast some light on the present
volume.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old December 6th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 6 Dec 2005 09:03:10 -0800, "John R. Yamamoto-Wilson"
wrote:

Michael Adams wrote:

Wouldn't any or all of the above (need to ) contain at least some text in
Roman i.e. Western Script ?

I would imagine so. They certainly have titles in Roman script. I'm not
suggesting that the book in question might be one of these texts,
merely envisaging that perhaps they may cast some light on the present
volume.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Wow,

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed with the effort to
discover what this worm eaten little book is about.

I have to admit I have been a little lapse in checking my emails so
thank you Jack and John for your comments and help. I will certainly
follow up the information you have kindly supplied to me and also post
up any answers I receive. I would just like to say I am not a book
dealer but do collect 'interesting' works (in English usually) from
the 16th and 17th centuries. You will often find me trawling through a
box of apparent rubbish at local auctions - hence the discovery.

Having examined the book in a little more detail I can safely say that
it is a printed work and not hand written, although the typeset must
have been very fine or block printing used. The blurring to some of
the font edges has probably been caused by damp!

One of the endpapers was stuck to the back board by means of the
wormholes (I missed this little clue as I thought the page was glued
to the binding) and this contains a previous owners name and some text
in Latin which might be of assistance - my eyes and Latin are not that
good.

I have now checked every page for annotations but found no more.

There are two new images on the website i.e.

http://www.katyandjason.co.uk/Image7.jpg
http://www.katyandjason.co.uk/Image8.jpg

I will keep everyone posted if I discover anything new, and thanks
once again, it is much appreciated.

Old December 6th 05, 10:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jack Campin wrote:

He would be better off finding a scholar who can read any variety
of Syriac/Aramaic and related languages from the year dot.

Well, yes. Still - as a largely self-taught student myself (of Japanese
books) - I'm all in favour of people finding out what they can off
their own bat.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old December 7th 05, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

TIA wrote:

http://www.katyandjason.co.uk/Image7.jpg

"Testaferrata Cavendish"? Hmm.

The Testaferrata family are old Maltese nobility (see, e.g.,
http://www.geocities.com/maltesenobi...staferrata.htm).

There were several Cavendishes with Maltese connections, among them
Major Cavendish Sturt
(http://website.lineone.net/~stephani...chapter789.htm) in the
early years of the 19th century, and Frederick Cavendish Ponsonby, who
was governor of Malta in the late 1820s and 1830s
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederi...ndish_Ponsonby).

Catanna Testafarrata married William Calmady Nowell in 1839
(http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/RNBIOG4.html). I can find no
record of a Testaferrata marrying a Cavendish, but it is certainly on
the cards.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org