New site about "Arts on Stamps"

Old September 5th 04, 11:01 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

Default New site about "Arts on Stamps"

For lovers of Arts on Stamps here is a useful new site:
http://www.artstamps.dk/
that works as a huge database where collectors can search for individual
artists and various motifs, with stamp images and short descriptions of all
items shown. The site is in English, with a link to a Danish version. The
webmaster is a professional art historian.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this site, I am not the webmaster,
and I do not publish anything through the site.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 6th 04, 08:29 PM
Victor Manta

"amesh (Mette)" wrote in message
For lovers of Arts on Stamps here is a useful new site:
http://www.artstamps.dk/
that works as a huge database where collectors can search for individual
artists and various motifs, with stamp images and short descriptions of
all
items shown. The site is in English, with a link to a Danish version.
The
webmaster is a professional art historian.

snip
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Thanks for the link to an interesting site.

I would call this work not a database, but an illustrated art encyclopedia,
where the stamps serve as illustrations. It seems to be an approach of more
an art historian as that of a stamp collector.

The site could be also considered as belonging to the category Arthistory on
Stamps, Arthistory being a term introduced by the author of the above
posting.

Just to remind that a big Art on Stamps database can be freely downloaded
from:
http://www.values.ch/db-en.htm
--
Victor Manta

Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old September 6th 04, 09:34 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse

- snip -

Thanks for the link to an interesting site.

You are welcome.

I would call this work not a database, but an illustrated art

encyclopedia,
where the stamps serve as illustrations. It seems to be an approach of

more
an art historian as that of a stamp collector.

Maybe so. Each art stamp collector has his/her own way of listing/showing
their collection.

The site could be also considered as belonging to the category Arthistory

on
Stamps,

Not really, as that would require more than just the entries with short
descriptions.

Arthistory being a term introduced by the author of the above
posting.

Yes, and ... ?
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 7th 04, 07:54 PM
Victor Manta

"amesh (Mette)" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse

The site could be also considered as belonging to the category Arthistory

on Stamps (VM)

Not really, as that would require more than just the entries with short
descriptions. (AMH)

Not all entries are short, see for example that for Michelangelo, at:
http://www.artstamps.dk/Alphabet-M-N-O.htm

BTW, the site being "in construction", who knows how will it develop in the
future.

Arthistory being a term introduced by the author of the above
posting. (VM)

Yes, and ... ? (AMH)

I couldn't find this term in my Merriam - Webster. The term seems to be
constructed (from Danish?) like in German, where it is a surely valid one:
Kunstgeschichte = art history (or: history of art).

Victor Manta

Old September 7th 04, 08:00 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse

"amesh (Mette)" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse

-snip -

Arthistory being a term introduced by the author of the above
posting. (VM)

Yes, and ... ? (AMH)

I couldn't find this term in my Merriam - Webster. The term seems to be
constructed (from Danish?) like in German, where it is a surely valid one:
Kunstgeschichte = art history (or: history of art).

Open question: Isn't "art history" (in two words, not one) not a valid term
in English? If yes, there's no problem; if no, someone please enlighten me
as to how to express the term "history of the art".
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 7th 04, 08:55 PM
Victor Manta

amesh (Mette)" wrote in message
... "Victor Manta"
skrev i en meddelelse

"amesh (Mette)" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse

-snip -

Arthistory being a term introduced by the author of the above
posting. (VM)

Yes, and ... ? (AMH)

I couldn't find this term in my Merriam - Webster. The term seems to be
constructed (from Danish?) like in German, where it is a surely valid
one:
Kunstgeschichte = art history (or: history of art). (VM)

Open question: Isn't "art history" (in two words, not one) not a valid
term
in English? If yes, there's no problem; if no, someone please enlighten
me
as to how to express the term "history of the art".

"Art history" is valid in English; see my translations of Kunstgeschichte
above. But I have spoken about "Arthistory", the term that you use in the
name of your interesting site:
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/

Victor Manta

"

Old September 7th 04, 09:01 PM
Victor Manta

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

"Art history" is valid in English; see my translations of Kunstgeschichte
above. But I have spoken about "Arthistory", the term that you use in the
name of your interesting site:
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/

Correction. Please read: the term that you use in the title:
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/BannerArthistory.gif

Old September 7th 04, 09:09 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse
amesh (Mette)" wrote in message
... "Victor Manta"
skrev i en meddelelse

- snip -

Open question: Isn't "art history" (in two words, not one) not a valid
term
in English? If yes, there's no problem; if no, someone please enlighten
me
as to how to express the term "history of the art".

"Art history" is valid in English; see my translations of Kunstgeschichte
above. But I have spoken about "Arthistory", the term that you use in the
name of your interesting site:
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/

Oh, I see. I had several choices: either "...//historyofart....dk", or
"...art_of_history.dk...", or "...arthistory....dk".

I have chosen the latter for several reasons: it is easy to type in an
internet-URL, it cannot be misunderstood, and it is not (to me) quite the
same as "history of art". "History of Art" is the well defined
(scientific) subject, whereas "Art History" seems more "loose", less
"scientific", and therefore more suitable for my site, simply because I am
not a professional art historian, but a stamp collector who is interested in
the history of the art :-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 7th 04, 09:12 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse
"Victor Manta" wrote in message

"Art history" is valid in English; see my translations of

Kunstgeschichte
above. But I have spoken about "Arthistory", the term that you use in

the
name of your interesting site:
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/

Correction. Please read: the term that you use in the title:
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/BannerArthistory.gif

of your interesting site: http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/

Now the penny finally dropped. That is easily corrected.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 7th 04, 11:13 PM
Rodney

If I can butt my ugly head in here,
and completely apart from the discussion,
one of the "What I'd like to see" topics would be a
page on "drawings" in art.
Do we have such a thing?
I esp like images showing the draughtsmanship
of the early painters, Da Vinci etc.
Perhaps line and wash drawings like Tiepolo
Does "The rest on the flight into Egypt" (my fav)
appear on a stamp?
(The feeling in the faces of the subjects pips the madonna smile imho)
I suppose the subject matter would be scarce on postage stamps.

Descartes : The stamps, the coins. the banknotes and the scandal Blair (TC) General Discussion 3 August 30th 04 08:13 AM
new 8 track site Alex 8 Track Tapes 0 August 23rd 04 08:03 AM
new collecting site..it's free Alex Dolls 0 August 23rd 04 07:49 AM
Curiosity Corner #101 Who owns the stamps on mail? Rodney General Discussion 26 June 14th 04 10:31 PM
Review: new site to buy and sell your dups and cheap stamps MagicHippie Worldwide Stamps 0 January 25th 04 07:03 PM