Disappointed with the Parker Reflex

Old June 1st 05, 06:53 PM

Default Disappointed with the Parker Reflex

The build quality is scandalous; it looks glued together, quite badly,
like those chinese products from the People's Republic of the 1980s.
It's has a feeling of being rough around the edges, and not enough
polish that even a Bic Crystal seems to have been better manufactured.
It's not just the one I got, but all the ones I had seen looked a
little bad, and the one I got looked the best. I can't remember the
last time I bought a European product that looked so bad right from the
factory.

The handle isn't really that comfortable, too thin for my taste, in
fact, I even prefer the Pelikan Go. The pen as a whole isn't as big in
hand as I was led to expect.

The nib is somewhat of a nail. Although it's a medium, it feels too
fine.

The good thing about it is that it led me to appreciate what a fine pen
the Pelikan Go is!

From a distance though, I must say, the black one I got looks elegant,

but that's just about it.

Old June 2nd 05, 11:23 PM
john cline ii

| The build quality is scandalous;

Well, this is a VERY inexpensive pen...

! it looks glued together, quite badly,
| like those chinese products from the People's Republic of the 1980s.
| It's has a feeling of being rough around the edges, and not enough
| polish that even a Bic Crystal seems to have been better
manufactured.

Ahem! Some of us ADORE Bic Crystals. For what it is, I see no way a
BIC Crystal could be improved. They started out at 19 cents, more than
fifty years ago, in the WatermanBic days. Yes, I'll defend the lowly
BIC against all comers, unless you want to talk about how the BIC
COMPANY is mismanaging Sheaffer.

| It's not just the one I got, but all the ones I had seen looked a
| little bad, and the one I got looked the best. I can't remember the
| last time I bought a European product that looked so bad right from
the
| factory.
|
| The handle isn't really that comfortable,

HANDLE? Where's that?

! too thin for my taste, in
| fact, I even prefer the Pelikan Go. The pen as a whole isn't as big
in
| hand as I was led to expect.
|
| The nib is somewhat of a nail. Although it's a medium, it feels too
| fine.

Some of us also adore NAILS.

| The good thing about it is that it led me to appreciate what a fine
pen
| the Pelikan Go is!
|
| From a distance though, I must say, the black one I got looks
elegant,
| but that's just about it.

And a day later, you post almost, but not quite, how wonderful it is!
I wonder what changed your mind so quickly!

john cline ii, the curious (and lover of orange BIC sticks)

Old June 3rd 05, 08:19 AM

john cline ii wrote:
wrote:

| The build quality is scandalous;

Well, this is a VERY inexpensive pen...

It's not much different in price than the rotring skynn, yet the
difference in build quality is very notable. And anyhow, even much
cheaper pens than the parker reflex are better built.

! it looks glued together, quite badly,
| like those chinese products from the People's Republic of the 1980s.
| It's has a feeling of being rough around the edges, and not enough
| polish that even a Bic Crystal seems to have been better
manufactured.

Ahem! Some of us ADORE Bic Crystals. For what it is, I see no way a
BIC Crystal could be improved. They started out at 19 cents, more than
fifty years ago, in the WatermanBic days. Yes, I'll defend the lowly
BIC against all comers, unless you want to talk about how the BIC
COMPANY is mismanaging Sheaffer.

I adore them too. In fact, I'll make a new post about this.

| It's not just the one I got, but all the ones I had seen looked a
| little bad, and the one I got looked the best. I can't remember the
| last time I bought a European product that looked so bad right from
the
| factory.
|
| The handle isn't really that comfortable,

HANDLE? Where's that?

The rubber.

! too thin for my taste, in
| fact, I even prefer the Pelikan Go. The pen as a whole isn't as big
in
| hand as I was led to expect.
|
| The nib is somewhat of a nail. Although it's a medium, it feels too
| fine.

Some of us also adore NAILS.

Why? They're scratchy and drag.

| The good thing about it is that it led me to appreciate what a fine
pen
| the Pelikan Go is!
|
| From a distance though, I must say, the black one I got looks
elegant,
| but that's just about it.

And a day later, you post almost, but not quite, how wonderful it is!
I wonder what changed your mind so quickly!

I stopped thinking of it as a pen for extended writing, and forgave it
for its shortcomings. Additionally, the rotring skynn is being
"primed", so I'm not comparing them.

john cline ii, the curious (and lover of orange BIC sticks)

Old June 3rd 05, 11:40 AM
john cline ii

wrote about the Parker Reflex in part:

| It's not much different in price than the rotring skynn, yet the
| difference in build quality is very notable. And anyhow, even much
| cheaper pens than the parker reflex are better built.

Odd. Here in the US, you can buy three or even four Reflexs for the
cost of one Skynn.

| | The handle isn't really that comfortable,
|
| HANDLE? Where's that?
|
| The rubber.

Want to look like you know everything? That's called the section, or
among some, the "gripping section."

| ! too thin for my taste, in
| | fact, I even prefer the Pelikan Go. The pen as a whole isn't as
big
| in
| | hand as I was led to expect.
| |
| | The nib is somewhat of a nail. Although it's a medium, it feels
too
| | fine.
|
| Some of us also adore NAILS.
|
| Why? They're scratchy and drag.

They need not. MODERN Watermans, for example, are largely known as
nails. Few of them are scratchy, nor do they drag. They just are not
flexible, which some people want (not me).

john cline ii, who hopes that helps