8 Tracks????

Old October 3rd 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Dan 3.75

Default 8 Tracks????

I have not been here for awhile, however I had assumed that this site
was for the discussion of 8 tracks !!! I realize that there were a
couple of trolls dominating the conversation but I don't see one
comment about carts. Am I wrong about the intended format ???

Old October 3rd 06, 07:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
The Drag Queen From Drums!

Dan 3.75 wrote:
I have not been here for awhile, however I had assumed that this site
was for the discussion of 8 tracks !!! I realize that there were a
couple of trolls dominating the conversation but I don't see one
comment about carts. Am I wrong about the intended format ???

Discuss away! The only troll here is Charlie Nudo, just check ALL his
sock puppet accounts and you'll see the big picture of what's what. He
has driven most posters to the 8 track heaven site.

Old October 3rd 06, 08:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 3 Oct 2006 10:45:35 -0700, "Dan 3.75"
wrote:

I have not been here for awhile, however I had assumed that this site
was for the discussion of 8 tracks !!! I realize that there were a
couple of trolls dominating the conversation but I don't see one
comment about carts. Am I wrong about the intended format ??? snip

Take a look...I'm the only person to post anything cogent about 8
tracks lately, and it generated NO response. You, of all people,
should know why that happened...Charlie Nudo, aka 66fourdoor on eBay
aka et al, ruined this NG two years ago
with his psychotic behavior. Now, it's simply a venue in which to
bash in his empty head. It's a public service...beating him up in
here keeps him out of other NGs, although he's dead set about ruining
the alt.auto.makers.chrysler NG now.

As far as 8 tracks go, I'm pretty sure the "buzz" about them is pretty
much over. Prices are back down to a buck a cart at auction (and
less) and there's little interest. Some eBay wanna-get-rich sellers
try to sell used carts for $4.99 and such and they never sell. I've
just about had my fill of them and am dubbing most of the better ones
to digits, using ProTools to clean up as much as I can as far as bad
frequency response and hiss. Once my "grocery getter" Honda gets
retired probably in spring of next year, I'm done with 8 tracks as a
'listening' format. Too labor intensive, too space consuming, not
well enough sounding. You do see high prices for very late, mostly
punk releases, and the $4550 some-odd for the Sinatra-Jobim cart will
probably never be seen again, but these are "collector" items and do
not reflex prices of the medium as simply a music delivery format.

I did some calculation. If I'd spent all the time I've spent
rehabbing 8 track carts on cleaning/treating vinyl, I would've had
every disc in my LP collection cleaned and treated with LAST at least
four times, and I have a pretty large collection. Sure, buying used
LPs at fleabag stores and garage sales is a mixed bag...many are badly
handled and/or scratched, but I've noted that the amount of 8 tracks I
get with severe dropouts, wrinkles due to jams and other aural
impairments outnumber the percentage of bad LPs I get by a wide
margin. On top of that, many 8 tracks were dubbed on badly
maintained/aligned equipment, and have a tendency for horrid frequency
response irregularities and distortion. Notable for this were many of
the Ampex dupes, and even some of the earlier Columbias. Later CRC
releases were among some of the best, dub quality-wise. Many "sealed"
carts I get disappoint quality-wise, the rare exception being sealed
CRC releases, which I can generally count on to be as good as 3¾ IPS
RTR tape...which isn't all that good to start with either.

So, once the old car goes, the format goes. There's simply no reason
to hang on to 8 tracks for home use at all, as vinyl's always a better
quality dupe (with very few exceptions) and 8 tracks simply eat up too
much shelf space and require too much restoration maintenance. Also,
if one is going for the music (which is the whole point of collecting
any recorded media) earlier issues (without the horrid "remastering"
messes) of CDs are out there on the used market for not much more
money than the 8 tracks, and the quality is always better, 100% of the
time. Not only that, I can play my CDs at home on my Harman-Kardon
player or in either car, with not a worry about cleaning heads or
capstans or having a bunch of clunky carts scattered all over the
passenger's or back seat.
Old October 3rd 06, 09:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
The Drag Queen From Drums!

Dan 3.75 wrote:
I have not been here for awhile, however I had assumed that this site
was for the discussion of 8 tracks !!! I realize that there were a
couple of trolls dominating the conversation but I don't see one
comment about carts. Am I wrong about the intended format ???

Oh, I forgot about that other group that Charlie Nudo had, it was
called "8 Tack Group For Cool People" or some other dumb **** name. I
had it shut down for abuse.

Old October 3rd 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
[email protected]

Hey dB...

I call dibs on anything on my want-list!!! :-D

Old October 4th 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
The Paris Gun

Dan 3.75 wrote:
I have not been here for awhile, however I had assumed that this site
was for the discussion of 8 tracks !!! I realize that there were a
couple of trolls dominating the conversation but I don't see one
comment about carts. Am I wrong about the intended format ???

good post- ask the 2 resident trolls that are muddying up your thread
here already !

Old October 4th 06, 03:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western

Yah....stupid 8-tracks.

Old October 4th 06, 03:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 02:29:02 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

Yah....stupid 8-tracks. snip

LOL...they always had a "stupid" quality about them that is somewhat
charming, but time moves on, and I've less and less time alloted to
fixing the dratted things. Besides, the wife is taking her pension
soon, and I have to start getting rid of stuff in order to move!
Old October 4th 06, 11:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
The Paris Gun

William W Western wrote:
Yah....stupid 8-tracks.

this is about the 6th time in the last 2 years, that DoucheBob posted
he was "giving up 8-tracks"- but did you notice how he quickly posted a
link to an Ebay auction for sealed tapes ?

8's are the only format for Boob- that's obviously all he can
afford...I mean go figure, with the 1978 Honda and all....

He couldn't fly digital if his life depended on it- he doesn't have the
loot...

if only one of his proclamations turned out to be true, we'd be rid of
him finally...