Canada color question

Old May 31st 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Default Canada color question

I've posted a graphic here of two stamps identified as Canada Scott 37.

http://yfrog.com/15canadascott37j

Scott lists the basic catalog number as orange red with a value of
$1.25. There are three varieties -- 37a is rose valued at $10, 37b is
copper red valued at $50, 37c is dull red valued at $2.50.

I believe the stamp on the right is the basic number, i.e. orange red.
The question is whether the stamp on the left is 37b or not. The
condition of the stamp is not that great, so it's probably nowhere near
the $50 catalog value even if it is 37b. These stamps were issued in the
1870's. I found them in a collection from the father-in-law of a quilter
friend of my wife.

Opinions?

Thanks

Bill Sharpe
Old June 1st 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Some time ago, I was attempting to ID a shade of the 10c
(I gave up), however here is a screen capture I took
of an example of "brown red"
I do not know if it is any help, (or if brown red is copper red) but here it
is.
http://cjoint.com/data/gcoQF0TBZ3.htm
Rodney.

Old June 1st 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan[_2_]

This site may help -
http://www.rpsc.org/Library/SmallQueen/Small_Queens.htm
and click on "Colour"

Jay Carrigan email address on web site
www.jypex.com

In article ,
says...

Old June 1st 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Bill Sharpe wrote:
I've posted a graphic here of two stamps identified as Canada Scott 37.

http://yfrog.com/15canadascott37j

Scott lists the basic catalog number as orange red with a value of
$1.25. There are three varieties -- 37a is rose valued at $10, 37b is
copper red valued at $50, 37c is dull red valued at $2.50.

I believe the stamp on the right is the basic number, i.e. orange red.
The question is whether the stamp on the left is 37b or not. The
condition of the stamp is not that great, so it's probably nowhere near
the $50 catalog value even if it is 37b. These stamps were issued in the
1870's. I found them in a collection from the father-in-law of a quilter
friend of my wife.

Opinions?

Thanks

Bill Sharpe

Thanks to all for your help. I think I am getting into a real can of
worms here. The rpsc site provides a wealth of interesting information.

I also looked at the extensive (and I mean really extensive) color chart
at http://tx4.us/moacolor.htm, which, of course, confuses things even
more. My original scan showed only two stamps; I actually have about 15.
Three of them may be copper red -- the one scanned is the darkest. One
looks somewhat gray. The others are all orange red, agreeing with the
illustration in Scott for #37.

I suppose I could dip the darker stamps in hydrogen peroxide to see if
they return to their original colors to check on whether the stamps were
subject to sulfuretting.

Bill

Sharpie Color Question Bob Autographs 9 August 18th 09 09:12 AM
Canada Stamp Color Guide #1 to #95 For Sale Ray Smith Marketplace 0 March 16th 07 05:49 PM
new $10 without color question [email protected] Coins 1 March 5th 06 04:34 PM
GB color question David French General Discussion 0 August 7th 05 09:28 PM
FA- ANA Candy Canada color quarter A. Roy Coins 0 February 9th 05 07:11 AM