Quick Poll about your U.S. paper money collection

Old October 18th 04, 04:02 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"John Patrick" wrote:
and will throw myself upon a bed of stakes to appease your anger towards
the worthless amateur collector that I am.

Well, you can't! I already threw myself on the official bed of stakes
when I clicked Post Message and then saw "U.S." in the title of the
thread.

"My US paper money interests are normally more of local scrips and notes
(such as notes issued by the Central Mine of Eagle Harbor)."

Well, yes, but that would have been the reasonable thing to do. Don't
forget those 12 FRNs, A through L, that I collected from circulation.

I should have thrown in another choice of i) Other but it was late at
night.

Ditto: "I should have ... but it was late at night" and I chose to
clack out a snappy reply without reading the question.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you were in a
bad mood when you decided to respond to my poll.

I am always in a bad mood. I have been a grumpy old man since I was
12, only now I have the gray hair to go with it.

Michael
humbled but not quite humiliated
Old October 18th 04, 04:13 AM
John Patrick

Michael E. Marotta wrote:
"John Patrick" wrote:
and will throw myself upon a bed of stakes to appease your anger
towards the worthless amateur collector that I am.

Well, you can't! I already threw myself on the official bed of stakes
when I clicked Post Message and then saw "U.S." in the title of the
thread.

[SNIP]

OK, we're both a bit testy, and it showed. I apologize for my snippy
response.

That district set of FRNs, was it a particular year, particular
value, star notes, etc?

Of course, our little discussion means that you'll probably find a
good circulation find soon and be hooked...

John

Old October 18th 04, 05:55 PM
Michael E. Marotta

"John Patrick" wrote:
That district set of FRNs, was it a particular year, particular
value, star notes, etc?

I was living in Cleveland at the time, on a technical writing project.
Cleveland has its own Fed, of course, so there were a lot of those
around, but other Letters do circulate, Cleveland being relatively
prosperous and cosmopolitan. I think that Atlanta and Kansas City
were the last two I found. I did not pay attention to dates,
signatures, etc. I did, however, swap out less circulated for more,
and eventually got the whole set pretty close to Almost Unc, but not
CU by definition. (I don't care what anyone says, you cannot find an
uncirculated coin in circulation.) I still have the set, in a special
wallet, along with my passport.

Also in terms of US Paper, there is one note I need. The FRN $20 from
1914 which shows transportation. I need the little Wright Flyer for
my set of banknotes with aviation themes. When I looked at prices, it
made no sense to pay so much for VF when for twice that, I could get
an Uncirculated... if I could get an unc. As it turns out, price is
one thing; availability is another.

Michael
"still humble"
Old October 18th 04, 11:05 PM
ken

"John Patrick" wrote in message om...
OK, quick poll:

1) Do you collect:
a) Federal Reserve Notes?
b) Silver Certificates?
c) United States Notes?
d) Gold Certificates?
e) Federal Reserve Bank Notes?
f) Star notes?
g) Web press notes?
h) Older notes?

2) Picking one of the above, which is your "main collection"?

3) What is your lowest serial number? (Circulation and "special")

4) What is your highest serial number? (Circulation and "special")

5) What is your best circulation find?

6) Do you have a favorite foreign note? If so, what is it?

I'm hoping this creates some discussion, allows us to determine who
might be able to help with our own collection, determine who might
be good sources for info, and help flush the lurkers of this group.

I'll post my own answers in a separate post.

John
'been wanting to ask most of these questions for a while'

dear collectors i collect A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H 2 OLDER NTOES 1874 1.00/
NATIONAL CURRENCY 1929 TY 1 50.00 CLEAVLAND OHIO AT BANK COLLECT S
ASIA+ CONFEDERATE NOTES SOME ERRORS ALSO KEN JOHNSON
Old October 21st 04, 06:02 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 05:30:53 GMT, "John Patrick"
wrote:

OK, quick poll:

1) Do you collect:
a) Federal Reserve Notes?
b) Silver Certificates?
c) United States Notes?
d) Gold Certificates?
e) Federal Reserve Bank Notes?
f) Star notes?
g) Web press notes?
h) Older notes?

i) Error notes. Or more specifically, I am starting to collect
them again, after having done so in the early 90's. I also have
a smattering of type notes and small notes, but am not actively
collecting them.

2) Picking one of the above, which is your "main collection"?

error notes, obviously.

3) What is your lowest serial number? (Circulation and "special")

Don't know.

4) What is your highest serial number? (Circulation and "special")

Something higher than the lowest serial number I have.

5) What is your best circulation find?

Can't think of anything good.

6) Do you have a favorite foreign note? If so, what is it?

Nope.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143