Hong Kong 1876 perf question

Old April 17th 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan

Default Hong Kong 1876 perf question

A friend has raised a question that other readers of rcsd probably can
answer. Any and all help would be appreciated. The stamp in question
is shown at:

http://cjoint.com/?ADrbo9QgQ5t

Here's another stamp I can't find in Scott. It's Hong Kong Scott Type
A1, the 18 cent with 16 cents overprint, and would seem to be Scott
29. However, it's perf 12 1/2 and Scott 29 is perf 14. In fact, all
Scott Type A1's are perf 14. Could it be a variety noted in Gibbons or
some other catalog?

I couldn't find any info on the APS site or on the web.

Thanks for your help.

Stan
Old April 17th 11, 02:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Apr 17, 12:20*am, Stan wrote:
A friend has raised a question that other readers of rcsd probably can
answer. Any and all help would be appreciated. The stamp in question
is shown at:

http://cjoint.com/?ADrbo9QgQ5t

Here's another stamp I can't find in Scott. It's Hong Kong Scott Type
A1, the 18 cent with 16 cents overprint, and would seem to be Scott
29. However, it's perf 12 1/2 and Scott 29 is perf 14. In fact, all
Scott Type A1's are perf 14. Could it be a variety noted in Gibbons or
some other catalog?

I couldn't find any info on the APS site or on the web.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

Not shown in SG either. All the early Victorias are p14, with the
exception of the 4c, which has a p12.5 variety but was never
overprinted.

Not that it helps, but what is the watermark? And is that a pen cancel
(which suggests fiscal use)?

Chris
Old April 17th 11, 03:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Apr 16, 9:19*pm, wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:20*am, Stan wrote:

[...]

Chris- Hide quoted text -

It looks like a roller cancel to me.
Old April 17th 11, 07:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod222

Looks like a normal "B62" killer to me.
Can we have the measurements in mm of the printed area of the stamp?

Old April 17th 11, 09:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan

Thanks. To summarize the postings to date about an 1876 Hong Kong
Queen Victoria 18c surcharged 16c and perf 12.5:

1. Not shown in SG either. All the early Victorias are p14, with the
exception of the 4c, which has a p12.5 variety but was never
overprinted.

Not that it helps, but what is the watermark? And is that a pen
cancel
(which suggests fiscal use)?

2. It looks like a roller cancel to me.

3. Looks like a normal "B62" killer to me.
Can we have the measurements in mm of the printed area of the stamp?

I have relayed this to the owner of the stamp and will share whatever
answers he provides.

Old April 17th 11, 09:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod222

I measured mine at 19mm x 22mm

that would mean your colleagues perforation is 12.63 x 12.73
certainly not a perf 12
But still odd.

Old April 18th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod222

I might add, that it is becoming common, people want assistance
with an evaluation of stamps, and only supply some tepid
out of focus, stamp that one needs a telescope to view it.

Surely todays collector can afford and employ a simple scanner.

The ability to toggle two stamps rapidly, is the ability to spot a
forgery and to spot fly specks should be par for the course.

Go into a jewellers, stand at the door and ask for an appraisal of a diamond
ring.

There was an unnecessary to and from and assumption here
when a decent scan may have had the thing identified in a trice.

Old April 20th 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod222

Bravo!
well done Blair

"Blair (TC)"
So it appears that there are both Spiro and Fournier
forgeries of this stamp.

Blair

Hong Kong/Macau question. Geezer. General Discussion 4 November 26th 07 06:42 PM
Hong Kong Question TC Blair General Discussion 6 November 22nd 04 09:20 PM
FA: HONG KONG USED RickH Marketplace 0 March 1st 04 12:01 AM
Hong Kong Turboman Marketplace 0 August 25th 03 07:43 AM
Hong Kong Turboman Worldwide Stamps 0 August 25th 03 07:38 AM