Spanish overprint

Old April 28th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Default Spanish overprint

Hello all,

Can somebody give me some information regarding the overprint in this
Spanish stamp? I couldn't find any in the Spanish Edifil stamp catalog,
perhaps someone can locate info about it in Scott.

http://cjoint.com/?eEogdpnTfr

Thanks,
Pedro

Old April 29th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hello Pedro.

I cannot find it in Scott either. The best I can make of it is:

(Left image) a stylized seal
Málaga ?????
al Conde C????
17 - 7 - 39
(Right image) appears to be fasces.

I not very sure how much this helps if at all.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 29th 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Apr 28, 6:28*pm, "Pedro" wrote:
Hello all,

* * Can somebody give me some information regarding the overprint in this
Spanish stamp? I couldn't find any in the Spanish Edifil stamp catalog,
perhaps someone can locate info about it in Scott.

http://cjoint.com/?eEogdpnTfr

Thanks,
Pedro

I could not find anything in Scott.
However, I expanded the scan so that you
could read the overprint.

My guess is Malage salutes the ........

http://www.cijoint.fr/cj200904/cijHFLu1Pc.jpg

My guess is that it is a private overprint.

Blair

Old April 29th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

The 4 arrows tied with a sash (LHS of opt)
is the flag of the Spanish Phalanx political party of that era
any help?
I cannot make out any names to Google

what about the top name "malaga" maliga?-??

Old April 29th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan[_2_]

Your stamp is listed in my 1991 Edifil "especializado" in
the "Emisiones Locales Patrioticas" section (page 378).

See http://www.jaypex.com/Spain/Malaga.jpg.

I can't make out the second word of the overprint, but it
has something to do with Italy's Count Ciano and is dated
17.7.39. Google tells me that Ciano visited Spain in the
summer of 1939.

Jay Carrigan
www.jaypex.com

In article , says...

Old April 29th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hola Pedro.

According to an entry on a Spanish philatelic forum dated 2007, the stamps
with the overprint "Málaga saluda al Conde Ciano, 17-7-39" were financed
and overprinted by Juan Marra "without official authorization". A later
entry about this Juan Marra sees him and his company OFILMA as "a well-known
dealer and forger of Civil War locals. He was particularly known for his
forgeries of the Granada overprints and the "Junta de Defensa" issues".

Hope this helps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 29th 09, 06:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Malaga is a province of Spain. It is interesting to know that it may be a
private overprint as Blair appoints. It read "Malaga saluda al conde ___"
which means "Malaga salutes the count/earl ____". It may be making reference
to a certain count visit to Malaga, perhaps. Interesting!

Pedro

Old April 29th 09, 06:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Thank you all for your efforts. All the information you've provided is quite
interesting to me, and I think that it will be useful to place it on my
webpages. I could never have found anything about it without your help and
that overprint would have remained as a mistery in my collection.

Thanks again for your help,
Pedro

news

Old April 29th 09, 08:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

According to Count Ciano's Diaries, he left for Spain on the 9 July,
and was back in Rome on the 19th. The Diaries are blank for the
Spanish visit, but he does record (on the 19th)

'I have set down my impressions of Spain in a notebook. The Duce is
quite satisfied with the report on my Spanish trip.'

Elsewhere, Ciano is not very flattering about Franco. Unfortunately,
as my copy of the Diaries lacks an index, I can't trace the relevant
comments.

Tony of the Antipodes
Old April 29th 09, 10:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

This should cover the story behind the overprint.
Count Ciano left Spain on the date of the overprint 17th July 1939
From "Spain during WW2" by Wayne H Bowen
http://cjoint.com/data/fbaYAfhyod.htm