Help Identifying Coin

Old September 2nd 04, 08:30 PM
Oldbloke

Default Help Identifying Coin

My wife bought a silver coin in a blue case from a UK market stall earlier
this
week.

It has no english writing on it whatsoever, it all appears to be either
eastern european or arabic.

On one side there is a 3 pointed dagger, on the other two male heads, one of
whom is wearing glasses.

The case has a gold phoenix type bird on it, and inside there is a word
written in the unidentifiable language, underneath is written Treasury
Department.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan L

Old September 3rd 04, 12:11 AM
A.E. Gelat

That's not enough to go on. Can you post a scan or a photo on
alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic?

Tony

Old September 3rd 04, 05:26 AM
Ed Hendricks

"Oldbloke" wrote in message

My wife bought a silver coin in a blue case from a UK market stall
earlier this
week.

It has no english writing on it whatsoever, it all appears to be
either eastern european or arabic.

On one side there is a 3 pointed dagger, on the other two male heads,
one of whom is wearing glasses.

The case has a gold phoenix type bird on it, and inside there is a
word written in the unidentifiable language, underneath is written
Treasury Department.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan L

My guess would be a 600 Baht coin from Thailand (Y#150) dated BE2525 (1982)
and commemorating the Bicentennial of Bangkok. However, as Tony said, we
would have to see a pic or scan to tell for sure.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old September 3rd 04, 11:27 AM
Oldbloke

Ed Hendricks wrote:
My wife bought a silver coin in a blue case from a UK market stall
earlier this
week.

It has no english writing on it whatsoever, it all appears to be
either eastern european or arabic.

On one side there is a 3 pointed dagger, on the other two male heads,
one of whom is wearing glasses.

The case has a gold phoenix type bird on it, and inside there is a
word written in the unidentifiable language, underneath is written
Treasury Department.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan L

My guess would be a 600 Baht coin from Thailand (Y#150) dated BE2525
(1982) and commemorating the Bicentennial of Bangkok. However, as
Tony said, we would have to see a pic or scan to tell for sure.

Spot on, we managed to track it down this morning with some lateral
Googling.

Any idea of it's value?

--
Dan L

Old September 3rd 04, 01:35 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Oldbloke" wrote in message

Ed Hendricks wrote:
[...]

Depends on the condition, of course. The current SCWC lists the value at XF
= $20 and Unc = $30. These are retail values, of course, actual market
value would depend on the demand for the coin. My experience has been that
Thai coins are not in high demand by the average collector of World coins.
The coin contains .6543 oz of .925 silver so, if all else fails, its spot
silver value is about $4.50. :-)

--
©¿©¬
~

Old September 3rd 04, 08:53 PM
Oldbloke

Mame wrote:
DOH!

A deer?

A female deer?

--
Dan L

Old September 3rd 04, 09:02 PM
Oldbloke

Ed Hendricks wrote:
"Oldbloke" wrote in message

Ed Hendricks wrote:
[...]

:-)

Cheers Ed, your help has been much appreciated. I reckon we'll probably keep
it for posterity, as it's quite attractive, particularly with the case
featuring Garuda (thanks also Mame).

--
Dan L