A Standing Liberty ;-)

Old August 31st 04, 10:58 PM
Dale Hallmark

Default A Standing Liberty ;-)

Well maybe her sister.

Dale

Old September 1st 04, 10:00 PM
Michael E. Marotta

"Dale Hallmark" wrote:
Well maybe her sister.

It reminds me of the scene in Casablanca after Victor Laszlo leads
them in the Marsailles and the place is shut down on the pretext that
gambling is illegal. "I'm shocked, shocked to discover gambling going
on here!"

I am shocked, shocked to discover that the Standing Liberty Quarter
had a predecessor.

Is it not bad enough that the Barber series was a copy of the nearly
contemporary French coins? The Walking Liberty is La Semeuse. The
venerated (if not beatified and canonized) Saint Gaudens $20 -- like
his Victory on the Sherman Monument -- was the newly excavated Nike of
Olympus.

When we were at the Pittsburgh ANA, we took time out to spend half a
day at Falling Water.

Maybe the problem with coin design is the very fact that it is 2500
years old. Paper money liberated artists by giving them a new medium
and some just made big, rectangular sheet-coins but many money artists
have put paper to good use.

Michael
Laughs at Georgian Colonial Homes
Old September 1st 04, 10:24 PM
Alan Williams

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote:

"Dale Hallmark" wrote:
[...]

Jah, you may laugh, but it hasn't taken a major renovation to keep my
frame-built vinyl-sided four square from falling into the freaking
water. ;-)

Alan
'FLW was not only ahead of his time, but his materials, too'
Old September 3rd 04, 12:43 AM
Michael E. Marotta

Alan Williams wrote:
Jah, you may laugh, but it hasn't taken a major renovation to keep my
frame-built vinyl-sided four square from falling into the freaking
water. ;-)

Agreed, and that is the reason to learn from the advances, rather than
to copy the past. Even wood has potentials we have not tapped. We do
not have to live in little clusters of little boxes. Similarly, it is
not necessary for coins to be copies of copies just to be safe.

Some collectors gush over Theodore Roosevelt asking Augustus Saint
Gaudens to give America coins as beautiful as those of Alexander.
Well, that _was_ some improvement, but I believe that the proper
response would have been "... but no better?" Industrial age
numismatics and new ideas in art could have given us stunning money
objects. The government monopoly on coinage ensured mediocrity. Those
middle of the road medallists flocked to the call, and continue to do
so.

To point to something and say "That's what I mean!" as an example of
what could be done, consider the coins and banknotes of The
Netherlands just before the advent of the Euro.

Michael
Living in the Gernsback Continuum
Old September 3rd 04, 07:36 PM
Edward McGrath

Michael wrote: Paper money liberated artists by giving them a new
medium. snip I bought two books on old US paper money and I'm in awe
over how beautiful our paper currency used to be. Seems the more modern
society becomes the duller our currency tends to be. I wanted to start
collecting old US currency but when I saw how much old paper money costs
it made collecting coins look cheap. Thank goodness old foreign paper
money is still affordable, I purchased my first foreign currency a
German 1910 100 Mark bank note, there is a lot of beautiful art work on
this baby blue bank note.