New Zealand says their coins & currency better than Australia and US

Old August 31st 04, 06:28 PM
John Stone

Default New Zealand says their coins & currency better than Australia and US

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/b...thetickercode=
Old September 1st 04, 11:54 AM
Mame

A case of 'short man' syndrome.

I spent 3 months in New Zealand recently and the thing that stood out to me
was the abundance of $20 notes. I only saw 2 $50 notes the entire time. The
automatics teller machines only give out $20 notes. I seldomly got a $10
note. $5 notes were not uncommon although the $20 note and $1 and $2 coins
filled my purse far more frequently. The $50 is so rarely seen that the
people I were staying with even mentioned it in conversation when they
received two of them in the one day in their buisness. The hardest thing
though was getting used to having a $1 coins smaller than the $2 coin.

Regarding size of $2 and $1 coins....I think someone needed to remind him
that their currency was the same in the pre-decimal days. The 3pence coin
was tiny compared to the 1penny. I should also point out that New Zealand
has a habit of following Australias footsteps when it comes to currency.
They decimalised a year after we did. Changed to polymer notes after we did.
As far as I am aware, we still mint their banknotes.(?)

Mame

"Stujoe" wrote in message
t...
John Stone spoke thusly...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/b...toryID=3588225

And I thought USians were the only ones who expected the world to be
just like what they are used to.

--
Stujoe
http://www.CoinPeople.com

http://UK.CoinPeople.com

Old September 1st 04, 11:55 AM
JT

"Stujoe" wrote in message
t...
John Stone spoke thusly...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/b...toryID=3588225

And I thought USians were the only ones who expected the world to be
just like what they are used to.

David Hill is writing tongue-in-cheek, I trust readers realise. Mind you,
he has a good point about the Aussie $2 - if the habit of decreasing sizes
with increasing values continues, their future $5 coins will be the size of
a pinhead ...

Old September 1st 04, 12:26 PM
Scottishmoney

Auzzie currency and coins circulated a bit in NZ before the advent of a
local coinage beginning in the 1930's. In particular many Auzzie banks
issued banknotes in their NZ branches. Frankly I might add I see little
chance of NZ becoming a republic, but Auzzieland maybe sometime.

Dave
"Do NOT collect Auzzie coins, they are NOT interesting" Move along,
nothing to collect in Auzzie.

--
emails to (myuserid).at.lycos.com

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!
"Mame" wrote in message
A case of 'short man' syndrome.

I spent 3 months in New Zealand recently and the thing that stood out to

me
was the abundance of $20 notes. I only saw 2 $50 notes the entire time.

The
automatics teller machines only give out $20 notes. I seldomly got a $10
note. $5 notes were not uncommon although the $20 note and $1 and $2 coins
filled my purse far more frequently. The $50 is so rarely seen that the
people I were staying with even mentioned it in conversation when they
received two of them in the one day in their buisness. The hardest thing
though was getting used to having a $1 coins smaller than the $2 coin.

---

Old September 1st 04, 12:37 PM
Mame

The idea of having a higher denomination coin smaller than a lower
denomination isn't exactly unique or new to Australia (or New Zealand I
might add).

The Australian 1pence coin was many times larger than the 3pence, 6pence,
shilling, and florin (and sovereigns). New Zealand was exactly the same,
infact the only difference were the designs on the coins. It should be
remembered that New Zealand and Australias 1 and 2 cent coins were both
larger or as large as the 5 and cent coins. The difference being the metal
composition and colour.

In 1797 England issued a 1 & 2 penny copper coin that weighed a massive 1oz
& 2Oz respectivley! Ever since the introduction of copper pennies in England
they have always been larger than a lot of higher value coins. The reason is
all to do with precious metal content of of coins. I know that there is no
precious metal in coins now but tradition means a lot. Some argue that it
also helps stabilise a currency when there is widespread concern and
confusion when currencies are re calibrated.

I also thought of something else that I thought I would mention regarding
the colour of Australian notes. The decision was made to use the
same/similar colour on decimal notes corresponding to the equivelant
pre-decimal note (we decimalised the 10shilling note and not the pound). In
otherwords, the $2 note was coloured green to match the 1 pound note, the
$10 note was coloured blue to match the 5pound note and the $20 note was
coloured orange/red to match the 10pound note. The $1 note was the biggest
derivation on traditional colours. The brown $1 note was based on the
white/red/black/brown 10/shilling note.

Mame

Old September 1st 04, 01:25 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Stujoe wrote:

An USian couldn't write that article without being whacked about the head
and shoulders by the rest of the world.

The difference is that, when an NZian writes something like that, nobody
cares.

ouch duck

Christian
Old September 1st 04, 02:22 PM
A.Gent

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
Stujoe wrote:

An USian couldn't write that article without being whacked about the head
and shoulders by the rest of the world.

The difference is that, when an NZian writes something like that, nobody
cares.

ouch duck

Christian

What do you call a bunch of middle-aged NZ men on Prozac?

"Once Were Worriers"

--
Jeff R.
(or is that a *local* joke?)

Old September 1st 04, 05:24 PM
John Stone

"Stujoe" wrote in message
t...
John Stone spoke thusly...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/b...toryID=3588225

And I thought USians were the only ones who expected the world to be
just like what they are used to.

--
Stujoe
http://www.CoinPeople.com

http://UK.CoinPeople.com

No, it is quite common in Canada also, especially in their attitude toward
the US.
Old September 2nd 04, 11:53 AM
JT

"Mame" wrote in message
The Australian 1pence coin was many times larger than the 3pence, 6pence,
shilling, and florin (and sovereigns). New Zealand was exactly the same,
infact the only difference were the designs on the coins. It should be

Yes, it happens world-wide, but aren't the Australian $1 and $2 coins
exactly the same alloy? They certainly look it, so that puts them in quite
a different category to all of the other examples you mention.

the colour of Australian notes. The decision was made to use the
same/similar colour on decimal notes corresponding to the equivelant
pre-decimal note (we decimalised the 10shilling note and not the pound).

In

NZ did the same. $1 coloured to match the 10s note, right through to the
$100 red to match the £50. At least we didn't wait an extra year to issue a
$5 note because there was no matching £2.10.0 note, as happened somewhere
else I could mention!

Old September 2nd 04, 04:58 PM
Mame

I have a vague memory of reading an article that said the descision was made
to make the $2 coin smaller as there it wasn't practicle to have a $2 coin
so similar in size to other coins (presumably the 20cent).

Mame

"JT" wrote in message

"Mame" wrote in message
[...]

Web sites of interest 2***Web Sites of Interest (Part2)*** The Silver Jar... Coins 3 February 9th 05 12:00 AM
PALESTINE CURRENCY BOARD 59 Coins 1927-1946 VF/XF aUNC [email protected] US Stamps 0 December 19th 04 09:49 AM
Coin Books Dale Hallmark Coins 2 February 15th 04 08:03 PM
Toning: real, artificial, in between? -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 December 3rd 03 03:26 AM