old books

Old June 17th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default old books

I have a few old books that I'm having trouble finding information on.
One is the works of Alexandre Dumas, The Son Of Monte Cristo volume 2,
1902,
Also, Rudyard Kipling's Captains Courageous 1927 hardcopy and American
Beauty by Edna Ferber, first edition 1931 and Jack London's South Sea
Tales Tower Books Edition first printing March 1946. If anyone can
help with where I can find the value of these particular books I would
appreciate it. There are some websites that I've found that don't have

these particular books listed. Thank you for any help.

Old June 17th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

on 17 Jun 2006 06:12:06 -0700, tonita stated:

I have a few old books that I'm having trouble finding information on.
One is the works of Alexandre Dumas, The Son Of Monte Cristo volume 2,
1902,
Also, Rudyard Kipling's Captains Courageous 1927 hardcopy and American
Beauty by Edna Ferber, first edition 1931 and Jack London's South Sea
Tales Tower Books Edition first printing March 1946. If anyone can
help with where I can find the value of these particular books I would
appreciate it. There are some websites that I've found that don't have

these particular books listed. Thank you for any help.

used.addall.com

-at

--
..
Old June 17th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

tonita wrote:

I have a few old books that I'm having trouble finding information
on. One is the works of Alexandre Dumas, The Son Of Monte Cristo
volume 2, 1902, Also, Rudyard Kipling's Captains Courageous 1927
hardcopy and American Beauty by Edna Ferber, first edition 1931
and Jack London's South Sea Tales Tower Books Edition first
printing March 1946. If anyone can help with where I can find
the value of these particular books I would appreciate it. There
are some websites that I've found that don't have these particular
books listed.

Bear in mind that, in general, only the first printing of the first
edition is likely to be of any significant value. To get some sense of
when these books were first published, go to COPAC (http://copac.ac.uk)
or OCLC (http://catalog.loc.gov/). You may also find useful information
on the main commercial sites, such as ABE (http://www.abebooks.com/).

Is the Edna Ferber a signed, limited copy, with slipcase? If so, as you
can see from ABE, it may be worth something. The others are all reprint
editions.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com
Old June 17th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Thanks for the information. My aunt passed away a couple of months ago
and I have two boxes of old books that I would like to find out about.
I'm no expert for sure.
Thanks again. I might be back with more titles if I can't find
information.

Old June 17th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

As to the Edna Ferber, inside it reads: "copyright 1931, by Edna
Ferber, all rights reserved printed in the United States at The Country
Life Press Garden City, NY
After the printing of one hundred and fifty deluxe copies first
edition." I don't really know how to make heads or tails out of what's
written on the copyright pages of these books, I wish I did.

Old June 18th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

T@home wrote:

As to the Edna Ferber, inside it reads: "copyright 1931, by
Edna Ferber, all rights reserved printed in the United States
at The Country Life Press Garden City, NY After the printing
of one hundred and fifty deluxe copies first edition."

OK, so it isn't one of the 150 signed deluxe copies. It's what is called
the first trade edition. One seller gives the followng description:

First trade edition. 8vo. Woodcut decorations by Rudolph Ruzicka.
313 pp. Red cloth. Fine, in About Fine dust jacket.

(http://tinyurl.com/pfmle)

That seller is asking $60, but it may not even be worth that. Another
dealer on that page is asking $21 for a "Fine cloth copy in a near fine,
very slightly edge-nicked and dust-dulled dw [=dust wrapper]". In poor
condition, or without the dust jacket, I'd say it really isn't worth
anything very much at all.

Remember, the prices on bookseller sites are asking prices, and the
books may not sell for these prices. As long as there's a fine copy in a
near-fine dust jacket sitting unsold for $21, the beat-up copies with no
dust jackets really have no chance of selling at all.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org