Visual Aids - ex-Library ... and some questions

Old August 21st 03, 05:33 AM
my-wings

Default Visual Aids - ex-Library ... and some questions

I added another page to my "when bad things happen to good books" site. This
time it's for ex-library books.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/visual-aids/ex-library_.htm

As usual, I would appreciate any help in correcting errors or adding any
useful information. I have a few questions, after writing this up:

1. I've got several books identified as being bound in buckram book cloth.
At least they match the characteristics described for buckram cloth that
I've found on the web. If I've got that wrong, I would appreciate someone
setting me straight.

2. Does anyone know a better way to describe that ubiquitous white printing
that's done on the spines of the specially bound books? I just call it white
lettering, but there is probably a name and/or a process that would be a
better way to describe it.

3. It might be appropriate to add a small discussion about different types
of libraries. It's my impression that some libraries are more unequal than
others, with circulating/lending libraries being considered the worst as far
as damaging the collectibility of books. How about books that were cataloged
into a corporate library, or a school or monastery library? Does it make a
difference if they do or don't have card pockets, or call numbers on a
label, or just an ownership stamp? Are there any libraries or library-like
institutions that are considered to actually add value if a book came from
them?

Alice

Old August 21st 03, 07:58 AM
MindElec

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:33:16 GMT, "my-wings"
declared:

I added another page to my "when bad things happen to good books" site. This
time it's for ex-library books.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/visual-aids/ex-library_.htm

very informative, you might also point out that ex-lib doesn't
neccessarily mean "beat to hell" i've come across several that looked
as though they were never circulated.

on an earlier subject, these have been sitting on my desktop waiting
to be uploaded for your use. i think they'll do better than your
current blindstamp photos.

http://tinyurl.com/kp1q

http://tinyurl.com/kp1z

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"
Old August 21st 03, 01:18 PM
my-wings

"MindElec" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:33:16 GMT, "my-wings"
declared:

http://www.mywingsbooks.com/visual-aids/ex-library_.htm

very informative, you might also point out that ex-lib doesn't
neccessarily mean "beat to hell" i've come across several that looked
as though they were never circulated.

I agree. Actually, the first book on the page (the brown one) is such a
book. It's clean and tight, no obvious call numbers on the spine and in a
subject I'm interested in (wildflowers). Except for the withdrawn stamp on
the top of the pages, it's in lovely condition. And I have several
bibliographies that had been reference books are are almost pristine. I
think I'll re-edit the intro to make that clear.

on an earlier subject, these have been sitting on my desktop waiting
to be uploaded for your use. i think they'll do better than your
current blindstamp photos.

http://tinyurl.com/kp1q

http://tinyurl.com/kp1z

Thank you! These are great! I'll get them up soon. I've also snagged the
other photos you offered and I'm just contemplating how I want to start
illustrating some things that are "singletons" in nature and don't require
an entire page on one theme (sun-faded, cocked spine...things that really
only need one picture to illustrate).

Alice