Mass scanning of stamps question

Old May 4th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Mass scanning of stamps question

I have a need to scan thousands of stamps.

I would like to place a few dozen on the scanner at a time, and then
have some software automatically ( if possible) separate the
individual stamps into separate image files. Does anyone know of the
name of such software?

Thanks In Advance
Bill
Old May 4th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

EzImage, the expensive version, will do exactly what you want. It can
take a scan of stamps, separate them, adjust orientation, etc.

See www.ezstamp.com.

I did a detailed review of this software at
http://www.pcsg.org/e/content.php?review.75

I would also invite you to join our group. Philatelic Computing Study
Group, www.pcsg.org.

Al
editor

Old May 4th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Bill P" wrote in message
I have a need to scan thousands of stamps.

I would like to place a few dozen on the scanner at a time, and then
have some software automatically ( if possible) separate the
individual stamps into separate image files. Does anyone know of the
name of such software?

Thanks In Advance
Bill

If you want to speed up this process you can use adobe Photoshop or adobe
illustrator. You "acquire" the image with your scanner and you save the
image you scanned as a HTML page. In the HTML page "save" screen you can
"slice" the image. This will save all the "sliced" images as separate jpg
files.

The process is a little quicker. But you still have to position all the
slices manually. From my own experience scanning stamps takes a long time
and is the most brutal punishment.

Old May 4th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Hi Bill,

EzImage was designed just for this purpose. I use it dayly & have scanned
hundreds of thousands of stamps.
You simply scan the stamps, then go to AutoSeparate. You can also
Autorotate & autocrop. You can combine actions into one also.
You will need the PRO version of EzImage to do this.
You can get a FREE DEMO to try at

http://www.ezstamp.com

let me know if you have any questions. I am the developer.

regards
Marios

--
Developers of EzStamp, AlbumGen, EzGrader & PCVU

Email: OR OR
Websites:
http://www.ezstamp.com
http://www.stamptools.com/
http://www.pcvu.com
Old May 4th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Won't the better OCR packages also do the job?
They distinguish pictures from text.
Worth a try if you have OCR software...

Jan

"J. A. Mc." schreef in bericht
... assuming that you can always get them level and in the same position
on
the scanner, time after time!

Some of the Epson Photo scanners have built in position recognition as in
scanning multiple 3mm slides. Thye auto-level and slice and save as
sequential names.

On Thu, 4 May 2006 06:39:22 +0200, "s-buch-fr" found
these unused words floating about:

Bill,

With Adobe photoshop you have also an automated function. You digitize
stamps with your scanner, and you launch the script which slice the image
and save them into separate image files.

Regards,

S. Buchheit
Col.fra 586

Old May 4th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Al G." wrote in message
EzImage, the expensive version, will do exactly what you want. It can take
a scan of stamps, separate them, adjust orientation, etc.

See www.ezstamp.com.

I did a detailed review of this software at
http://www.pcsg.org/e/content.php?review.75

I would also invite you to join our group. Philatelic Computing Study
Group, www.pcsg.org.

Al
editor

Al,

Thank you for pointing us to the software and to your good review.

As I see it, the problem with this software is not only that it is much too
expensive but also that the result (Figure 5. Image after deskewing) still
needs some rotation from hand.

If there is something that still has to be rotated then it is not of much
help if it was already improved. As for automatic separation, this feature
is useful but not difficult to do it by hand.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old May 4th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Hi,
I have Photoshop , but have never used the function you describe. Can
you please tell me the name of the function or where to find the script
to slice the images? Thanks.

Suzi

Old May 4th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Victor Manta" schreef in bericht

As I see it, the problem with this software is not only that it is much
too expensive but also that the result (Figure 5. Image after deskewing)
still needs some rotation from hand.

Wouldn't it be better, regardless of the software used, to try to put the
stamps next to each other in a black page with transparant 'strips' (don't
know the proper English word for those). Then they are always perfectly
upright *and* they don't stick to the scanner lid (static), shift, overlap,
or are blown away when you open the lid ;-).
The only thing is that you might see the transparent strips, but for
auctions that would be acceptable IMO.

My 0,02

Bye
Jan

Old May 4th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

If there is something that still has to be rotated then it is not of much
help if it was already improved.

Agreed.

As for automatic separation, this feature
is useful but not difficult to do it by hand.

The Epson "perfection 1670" allows multiple passes
and I do 30 stamps at one button press, (each stamp
requires the operator to surround it with a suitable sized marquee)

All rather useless until they marry that with auto "deskew" IMHO
which the Epson lacks.