The Hobby

Old June 4th 08, 04:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
AutographPros.com[_5_]

Default The Hobby

Well, sports athletes for the most part are overpaid egomaniacs who have the
audacity to think it's ok to complain about someone selling their autograph
for $50 while they have 3 houses and 5 cars and their job is a "GAME" that
they don't even work every day at. Seriously, that and the combination of
the 'dealers and collectors' who can actually tolerate these athletes would
drive me postal. Sorry, it's just a different breed out there. Don't get
me wrong, I'm not saying all sports guys are bad both in the field and for
dealers but when I went out it just wasn't as enjoyable as say meeting BB
King for the first time, or Steven Tyler, etc.. Those guys bring you right
into their world and it's a memory that I'll always cherish, and for the
most part the competitors (Both dealers and collectors) are more mature and
more laid back. Again, not always, like I remember McCartney at the Rock
and Roll HOF induction in NY when I was next to get him on a guitar and too
many people pushing caused Sir Paul to stop with marker in hand and about to
sign for me. Some memories are not so great too, and some musicians are
foul and rude yelling ebay or are like John Mayer (signing wrong names),
etc. To me if I could meet Hank Aaron or Derek Jeter, etc. and try to
compare that to Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton, is there really any
comparison? I think slowly the market is going to have a newer respect for
music autographs as well. There really are so few authentic music
autographs out there when compared to sports and I think there are close to
as many fans for each. Most people have a favorite team as well as a
favorite band. The difference is, these bands are not out there doing
public signings or even paid mail order signings so the sports is just
flooded and music is pretty scarce. The current sports guys are out every
few days for months and also every year while bands often tour once every
few years and less frequent stops. Now if we can just get an "OPERATION
BACKSTAGE" like they did the "Operation Bullpen" we'd really start to see
the prices skyrocket on music items. For those of you who don't know,
operation bullpen was the major FBI sting into the sports autograph industry
which busted countless forgers. My hope is they will start looking at the
X-List more closely and acting on what is clearly an epidemic costing
unknowing customers billions.
--
Michael Kasmar
www.AutographPros.com

"Sue H" wrote in message
I remember Rico Petrocelli from way back! Very cool. What made you
go from that to music? I guess if I had that Stones Guitar, It'd be
my prize too... great stuff. As for regretting not getting sigs
before their deaths, John Lennon must be high on a lot of people's
lists....

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:17:34 -0400, "AutographPros.com"
wrote:

1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?

Rico Petrocelli who was at a Special Olympics event. Didn't really know
who
he was but saw people getting autographs and my brother in law said I
should
also. The nervous excitement is still a feeling I enjoy when doing in
person autographs.

2) How many items are in your collection?

4000+

3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?

My 15 signature Rolling Stones guitar , most complete in the world

4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like to
add to your collection?

Bob Dylan. I have a magazine in my store appraised and authenticated with
rock solid provenance but I've never been able to get him to personally
put
pen to paper in person. He's so not normal.

5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you
regret
not adding to your collection?

Marlon Brando. I never even made an effort and have regrets by not doing
so.

6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?
Albert Einstein. Especially because I'd have to make a one of a kind
custom display for it that would be borderline genius.

Old June 4th 08, 05:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

god damn right!!!!

Old June 4th 08, 08:17 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
pe2[_8_]

1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?

Washington Redskins star Ken Houston, 1973. He is now a HOF'er and college
coach. I met him at a old WT Grant store in Roanoke Va, then back in the
90's at the Richmond Tuff Stuff Show. I showed him the first autograph i got
from him, and he thought that was pretty cool!

2) How many items are in your collection?

about 1500 autographs. mostly sport cards and wrestling mags.

3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?

A 1992 Winston All Star poster, signed by every living driver except Alan
Kulwicki. Contains Earnhardt and Allison., the others include a 1:24 scale
General Lee signed by the Dukes cast (IP), and my 8x10 photo op with Dale
Earnhardt, Sr+his autograph at that time the photo was taken.

4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like to
add to your collection?

Bill and Hillary Clinton (yes, I'll ignore Monica) and Paul McCartney

5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you regret
not adding to your collection?

Denver Pyle and Sorrell Booke. (Dukes of Hazzard Fame aka "Uncle Jesse" and
"Boss Hogg")

6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?

Michael Jordan, LOL!!!

Old June 4th 08, 08:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Bob

1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?

Larry Bird

2) How many items are in your collection?

About 1,000

3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?

Sebastian Shaw, Harrison Ford, Chris Farley and Richard Prior

4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like
to add to your collection?

Rick Baker (Star Wars)

5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you
regret not adding to your collection?

Jonathan Harris (Lost in Space) had the chance and didn’t get it.

6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?

Where would you start, Abe Lincoln, Caesar, King Solomon …. Oh the
list goes on.
Old June 4th 08, 02:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

I personally feel that if a person is a true collector, they'll
collect what they love. Some are sports fanatics and that's cool.
Others Music lovers or some like me, sci-fi geeks.... we all have our
things. Along the way, we also beceome autograph fans... not just
fans of that thing but like you said, everyone has a favorite team or
group or "other person" that interests them. I would collect graphs
and get ALL the Star Wars I can get, or Potter or Rings etc. However,
on other projects, if I don't like it, I don't collect it. I extend
that sort of to music. My rule to collect that is to collect only the
groups I see in person, and try to get them in person first; if I
can't, then I if there's a shot in the dark, I might start emailing or
mailing things out with hope. I don't buy stuff. I have bought one
or two but it's because I got a legit item at a song and was hard for
me to get all myself (like a Little River Band signed 8x10 with the
whole band on it for a few dollars). Basically the fun for me with
the music is the act of meeting them! I mean it brings me back to my
teen years when music and school was your life and all we did was have
a blast......... on sports, unless it's my hubby's or my team or an in
person event, I don't get anything. But certain players from the 70's
I have a special fondness for (mostly Red Sox and Bruins) because of
the connection of watching those to my dad and how excited he was.

So in effect, it's different things that connect us. I will admit, my
lust for certain movie graphs has me getting a few most people won't.
The drive of that is to have a monster collection that people awe
(I'll admit it). Not many people can touch my Star Wars collection
and those that could quit or sold off stuff or sold out to become
dealers more than collectors. See, becoming a crossover fan to graphs
themselves, does that! So you can't fault people; there's a very fine
line I've been tempted to cross a number of times.

Old June 4th 08, 02:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 00:52:50 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

1) What was the first autograph that attracted you to the hobby?

Larry Bird

Cool bob; he's only one of two Basketball graphs I'd love to have.
The other being Michael Jordan. I am not a huge fan of basketball, but
to me, those are meaningful to us (My hubby is from Chicago and I from
NE)

2) How many items are in your collection?

About 1,000

3) What would you say is your prized autographed item(s)?

Sebastian Shaw, Harrison Ford, Chris Farley and Richard Prior

4) Who is someone living, that has so far eluded you, that would like
to add to your collection?

Rick Baker (Star Wars)

Oh man Bob. I'll file that in the back of my mind. I have his graph,
but by the grace of a friend who obtained his graph at a CD signing
(for a famed musician) where Rick was there with him/her (forget who
it was now), as a friend and my friend recognized him! The friend is
a Star Wars graph collector and didn't know he'd be there but happened
to pop in for the CD signing (see, being a graph collector in general
does help sometimes!), and spotted him. Which is amazing, because
behind the scenes people aren't usually spotted. Alas, all I have is
an index card but that's life. I had a number of addresses for Rick,
but he won't sign by mail. I thought NOT to try SW so instead, sent
him a shot from Haunted Mansion but still nothing. He just won't
sign. He's not IMPOSSIBLE though. Have patience and if I get the
opportunity ever again, I'll remember you.

5) Among celebrities or people of fame that have passed, who do you
regret not adding to your collection?

Jonathan Harris (Lost in Space) had the chance and didn’t get it.

Luckily though, there still are a number of good graphs in
circulation. You can still get one fairly inexpensive (35-40 bucks
most legit ones I see).

6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?

Where would you start, Abe Lincoln, Caesar, King Solomon …. Oh the
list goes on.

Imagine having Caesar or King Solomon's sig! Awesome. Or Cleopatra or
any of those. I don't think such things exist, but even say Dante
Allegehri or Willilam Shakespeare. Wow. Boggles the mind.

Old June 4th 08, 03:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 03:17:20 -0400, "pe2"
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I got Denver's in an auction but hard to get them now! I would
love to add Sorrell to the collection as well.

6) What historical signature would you like in your collection?

Michael Jordan, LOL!!!

I don't know if he's historical, but he's on my list too~

Old June 4th 08, 05:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
pe2[_8_]

historical figure...would Jesus Christ be considered for an autograph?! or
the Bible's Paul-he would definitely be a cool autograph to have, being a
noted author!

Old June 4th 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3[_2_]

The Bible has been written and rewritten so many times, it would be
difficult to determine whether it was original or a "secretarial". LOL

--

Mike
Gummby3

Old June 4th 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
pe2[_8_]

"Gummby3" wrote in message
. ..
The Bible has been written and rewritten so many times, it would be
difficult to determine whether it was original or a "secretarial". LOL

Yeah, considering how many different translations there are! !!!! I think
Paul would have a few choice words if his autograph would be secretarial,

"pe2" wrote in message
historical figure...would Jesus Christ be considered for an autograph?!
or the Bible's Paul-he would definitely be a cool autograph to have,
being a noted author!

Need A Hobby? [email protected] Football (US) 0 January 28th 08 09:31 PM
Pen Hobby? Hobby Man Pens & Pencils 0 September 28th 07 11:47 PM
nw to hobby Patty Matone Coins 9 December 4th 06 06:56 PM
WHERE IS THE HOBBY GOING?? Dacory93 Baseball 1 October 23rd 04 04:47 PM
A new hobby for me! Lisa Autographs 2 August 18th 04 01:49 PM