Ecuador ID.

Old June 20th 05, 07:41 AM
Rodney

Default Ecuador ID.

Has anyone a listing for this SG Type F1
with an overprint 1884-1885
or is it a fiscal unless value optd.
Any idea what the dates refer to?
http://cjoint.com/data/guiOkv7c1o.htm
Thanks

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old June 20th 05, 08:44 AM
derbyboi

Hi Rodney

I have no idea what the stamp is but just wanted to say how beautifully
designed it is. Strangely it has both the staff of Tiresias (I don't
think it qualifies as a Cadeucis because it doesn't have any wings at
the top) which denotes medicine and below this the "Fasces", the symbol
of the Roman Lictors, denoting the law. An interesting juxtaposition of
Greek and Roman symbolism. If it is fiscal I would be interested to
know it's use.

Old June 20th 05, 11:38 AM
Arthur Mongan

Old June 20th 05, 12:37 PM

Rodney wrote:
Has anyone a listing for this SG Type F1
with an overprint 1884-1885
or is it a fiscal unless value optd.
Any idea what the dates refer to?
http://cjoint.com/data/guiOkv7c1o.htm
Thanks

SG Part 20 lists these in a separate section as "Fiscal Stamps used for
Postage". You have No F3C.
There is another 1884.1885 handstamp with thinner figures, and other
dates also, as well as several sets in different colours going up to
1897. The higher FVs have CVs of a few pounds, but yours is minimal,
sorry.

The only variety of this stamp listed in "Simplified" is the one
overprinted with a large date, CORREOS, surcharge, and initials of the
Minister of Finance, Seraphin Wither.

Chris

Old June 20th 05, 07:40 PM
Rodney

G'day DB,
thanks for the comments, I am a great fan of South American earlies,
esp the American Banknote Issues. They are choc full of symbolism
and artwork.
I am currently building a thematic of "fasces" issues worlwide,
and it is most surprising how oft they appear, Shanghai, US, Malta
to name a few, IIRC the US issue does not include the axe for some reason,
or perhaps was lost in the interpretation.

You have given me some homework with regards the Tiresias, I always
wondered about that I'll have to do some Googling.
Best Regards.

Old June 20th 05, 07:46 PM
Rodney

Great Info Chris, thankyou.
Once again hamstrung by lack of decent Catalogues.
We rarely see any S/A literature, or even South American
collections at the Auctions in my neck of the woods.

Old June 20th 05, 09:55 PM
derbyboi

Hi Rodney
Tiresias came across two snakes in the act of copulation and he used
his staff to divide them. They then entwined round the staff. As a
result of this deed Tiresias was turned into a woman! There is a
surrealist play I remember from my yourth "Les mammaires de Tiresias"
referring to the time he spent as a woman. He remained as a woman until
he could find another pair of copulating snakes - a year! The symbol
was later adopted and acquired by Hermes and became winged and as this
is the caduceus, the symbol of medecine!

On "fasces" remember there is a fasces carved on each of the upright
below the arms on the seat that the statue of Lincoln on Capital Hill
is sitting! I don't know whether these would show up on a stamp though.

Rodney

Old June 21st 05, 06:28 AM
Rodney

| On "fasces" remember there is a fasces carved on each of the upright
| below the arms on the seat that the statue of Lincoln on Capital Hill
| is sitting! I don't know whether these would show up on a stamp though.
| Rodney

Yes, I was aware of that DB,
Of the 2,900 US collection, Lincoln shows up
on 17 issues that I am aware of.
The 4c Capitol Hill issue is taken too close to see the chair.
http://cjoint.com/data/gvhEQSCCTP.htm

Memory says there is another issue of him in the chair, but I cannot
locate it.

Best Regards.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:24 PM
Rodney

G'day DB,

The symbol was later adopted and acquired by
Hermes and became winged and as this
is the caduceus, the symbol of medicine!

Seems it depends on which country one resides in,

The Tale of Two Rods
The rod of AESCULAPIUS, with one snake entwined,
is the symbol of the British and Australian Medical Profession.
It should not be confused with the CADUCEUS of Mercury
and symbol of the American Medical Profession, it has two snakes
http://cjoint.com/data/gwqFQNaUIv.htm

Old June 22nd 05, 11:54 PM
Blair (TC)

The Australians actually have two rods, but one of them is off doing
walkabout and collecting stamps in Perth, Western Australia. 8*)

Blair